Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Research on Sport Ghia (Special edition from 1973)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toddb_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Research on Sport Ghia (Special edition from 1973) Reply with quote

Hard to tell from the photos but it does look like it was a sport Ghia. The only remaining part though is the steering wheel. Does it have the sport wheels? Where is the car located? How bad is the rust? Any body damage?
Unfortunately, since it has been painted and the sport stripes are gone it might not be worth much more than a typical Ghia in that shape. So depending on the location I would think it would be worth $2-4000k from what can be seen in the pictures.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714683
1974 Karmann Ghia- current project, 1967cc engine. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775207
“I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.” - Dudley Field Malone
aimfabrication
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Research on Sport Ghia (Special edition from 1973) Reply with quote

Hello, I’ve stumbled across a KG that I believe to be a sport. I’ll attach photos. Body is rough but runs and drives so nice. What would be a fair asking price? I bought it to cut the roof off but if it’s a rare one I hate to do that to this one.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

JAL78 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Research on Sport Ghia (Special edition from 1973) Reply with quote

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
Hello Everyone! We currently have this very nice survivor 1973 Sport Ghia available. It's already accounted for on this list as well. Thanks!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2609173

Thanks for listing your original73 Sport Ghia. Finally a Sport Ghia is up for sale! This should be interesting to see what the interest is. Most people are unaware of the rarity of these.
1961 Karmann Ghia convertible
1965 Karmann Ghia convertible
1973 Karmann Ghia convertible Sport Edition
1974 Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Research on Sport Ghia (Special edition from 1973) Reply with quote

Hello Everyone! We currently have this very nice survivor 1973 Sport Ghia available. It's already accounted for on this list as well. Thanks!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2609173

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JAL78 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Research on Sport Ghia (Special edition from 1973) Reply with quote

A photo of the dealer window stickers is in kingkarmann's post above: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9800640#9800640
1974 Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Research on Sport Ghia (Special edition from 1973) Reply with quote

JAL78 wrote:
I bought my Saturn Yellow convertible Sport Ghia from the original owner and they claimed that it is truly a Sport Ghia. They did not not have the original dealer window sticker to confirm its authenticity. The only documentation that I have is on the Birth Certificate that I had purchased from"Classic Volkswagen Parts" in Germany. It indicated that my car was equipped from the factory with the "Sport rims" code #M976 which to my knowledge was never offered as an accessory on standard production type Karmann Ghia's.

How does the dealer sticker look like? I’ve seen it being mentioned a couple of times on this topic but I didn’t saw a photo of it.
Anybody has it? Very Happy
JAL78 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Research on Sport Ghia (Special edition from 1973) Reply with quote

I bought my Saturn Yellow convertible Sport Ghia from the original owner and they claimed that it is truly a Sport Ghia. They did not not have the original dealer window sticker to confirm its authenticity. The only documentation that I have is on the Birth Certificate that I had purchased from"Classic Volkswagen Parts" in Germany. It indicated that my car was equipped from the factory with the "Sport rims" code #M976 which to my knowledge was never offered as an accessory on standard production type Karmann Ghia's.
1974 Thing
JAL78 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Research on Sport Ghia (Special edition from 1973) Reply with quote

VWGlassee wrote:
How about this one? I think it also looks cool in orange Cool
It has the striping, the US bumpers and steeringwheel. So its an original orange sport ghia? Cool

https://www.aircooledclassics.be/kg8

Very interesting! This is a first, Orange Sport Edition? If it was a 73 Sport it would also have the sport rims. I noticed that the spare tire rim is not a Sport rim. Original owner could confirm its authenticity with original dealer window sticker.
1974 Thing
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Research on Sport Ghia (Special edition from 1973) Reply with quote

How about this one? I think it also looks cool in orange Cool
It has the striping, the US bumpers and steeringwheel. So its an original orange sport ghia? Cool

https://www.aircooledclassics.be/kg8

chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Research on Sport Ghia (Special edition from 1973) Reply with quote

BigBill, You probably had a Beetle with some Forumla Vee accessories. I don't think VW offered those wheels that early. Perhaps they were from a Porsche 914? I am not sure as to the first year Porsche offered them, but they were on many 914s. I think the price you recall is a bit on the low side for a new car...a base Beetle was about $1800 by then and in 1970 they were still selling as many as they could get in the USA, so probably not much discounting!
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Research on Sport Ghia (Special edition from 1973) Reply with quote

I just re-read this thread.
Someone posted up an original Sport Ghia window sticker.
Based on the option package listed I would say it was most likely done at the factory.
In my experience in auto manufacturing "special editions were done in groups of a certain number each day until the total production number was satisfied.
It would be very interesting to know exactly how many were made it total.
I don't believe the VIN can tell you much without the birth certificate.
Does a 1500 sound plausible? Purely a guess.

Decided to try a google search and found another copy of a window sticker
1973 convertible delivered to California.

Both VIN#'s begin with 143262----
Maybe that's a clue?

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Research on Sport Ghia (Special edition from 1973) Reply with quote

Interesting thread I never knew VW offered a Sport Ghia. My wife and I were married in 1970, well we needed a car for her and decided on a beetle and bought a new one off of a local dealers show room floor. I cant remember if it was a 70 or a 71 but it had the rims like the Sport Ghias, a double pinstripe along the bottom of the doors with a VW logo in the stripe itself, a different shift lever that I had never seen before and a wood type steering wheel, and a different exhaust that didnt have the two peashooters. Sadly no pictures of this car, I have often wondered if it was done by the dealer or Factory. I have never seen another like it, it was under $1300 out the door Smile
SportGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Research on Sport Ghia (Special edition from 1973) Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure sport ghia wheels were 4 1/2 inches wide (to fit a spare?)
while the sport bug wheels were 5 1/2 inches wide.
cheers,
dan
96 Taurus SHOwagon
07 Impala SS
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Research on Sport Ghia (Special edition from 1973) Reply with quote

Did Sport Beetles have the same size Sport rim?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
JAL78 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Research on Sport Ghia (Special edition from 1973) Reply with quote

I just purchased a 1973 Ghia sport Convertible. The seller was the original owner and stated that the car is a true Sport Edition Ghia. The car has all of the features of a Sport Ghia such as: Saturn yellow paint, exterior black decal stripes, Sport wheels, Indy steering wheel. However the seller did not have any verifying documents to prove its Sport Ghia authenticity such as the original dealer window sticker. I ordered a VW "birth Certificate" for the car and just received it. The cars birth date was 3/30/1973 which is within the time frame when these were allegedly manufactured. The VIN is 1432620501 which is also within the production of these. The certificate "special configuration" indicate that the car was ordinally equipped with: D21 (cannot be identified??), M002 (sealed beam headlamps,, M261(addition right rear view mirror) and M976- 5 sport rims, 4 1/2x15. Does any member or Ghia expert know if the Sport wheels were offered as an option on NON SPORT GHIA'S also? If not then I assume that this is legitimate proof that this Ghia is indeed a true Sport Ghia. If so, any ideas to prove its authenticity?
1974 Thing
rnoyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Research on Sport Ghia (Special edition from 1973) Reply with quote

Would you be able to tell me if this vin. is a sport Karmann Ghia? 1432620355 the car is yellow and has a sport steering wheel and sport wheels but I want to make sure before I purchase it. Thanks
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Research on Sport Ghia (Special edition from 1973) Reply with quote

farnhamassoc wrote:
anyone else think this is a sports edition car

Yes...didn't watch all the video but wheels and steering wheel are a good indication...didn't see a close up of the side trim but that would be a clincher, distinctively different to stock trim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
farnhamassoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Research on Sport Ghia (Special edition from 1973) Reply with quote

anyone else think this is a sports edition car

Link

06 Jetta TDI 45mpg
Restored several 11 window kombi and standard
Current inventory 66 delux hard top, so23
60 ragtop and 61 hard top bugs 54 hardtop bug
67 tin top so42 62 SO10 ruthmann bucket truck
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Research on Sport Ghia (Special edition from 1973) Reply with quote

Saw this ad, noticed the steering wheel and colour of the firewall... $350. Hopefully it goes to a good home.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2062805
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Research on Sport Ghia (Special edition from 1973) Reply with quote

UGLY VW wrote:
I have a Convertible Sport Ghia. I'd like some info. how many were made vs. coupes

Impossible to tell how many were made and how many survived. If you go back to the start of this topic and read the whole topic... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=564969 you'll know as much about The Sport Ghia as the rest of us. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: