Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Making a camping trailer from a Vanagon body...ideas
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
j_dirge wrote:

All things controlled, and even.

You have a 1000lbs of trailer, no load.
The Vanagon does not like more than 150lbs of tongue weight.

Where do you place the axle in your design?

Obviously one of those guys that likes to argue more than read Rolling Eyes .

Likewise..

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:

Likewise..

Rolling Eyes

My point exactly. ALL I've posted in this thread is trailer physics......SCIENCE!

Yet you want to argue it? Why? And with totally random stuff like pictures of a vanagon towing a boat Rolling Eyes What does that prove for trailer design other than you've towed a boat Rolling Eyes Great, tow it somewhere and have fun!

Then you post silly little things like " where would you put the axle?" Without even half the needed numbers to make the calculation. Rolling Eyes

How about posting some facts or design ideas instead of simply arguing stuff that proves you didn't actually read and comprehend what you read? It's obvious that you're just jumping on the reply button for the sale of arguement without actually thinking the physics through. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's go!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

fredn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys should get a room if you want to put tongue weight on each others axles.

tencentlife wrote:
...most are doing what most auto forum participants do, parroting things they've heard
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
j_dirge wrote:

All things controlled, and even.

You have a 1000lbs of trailer, no load.
The Vanagon does not like more than 150lbs of tongue weight.

Where do you place the axle in your design?

Obviously one of those guys that likes to argue more than read Rolling Eyes .

80% of the "answers" have already been posted. You are blindsiding trailer physics with some voodoo Vanagon stuff. Take the "vanagon" out of your equation and just stick with the tongue weight (150 or 200lbs, whichever you prefer since I think you've posted both)

Is your suggestion to the OP that they put the pivot point over the vehicles rear axle and place the trailer axle as far back as possible? Of course not...right? that wouldn't make sense (unless we're talking Dokas). So since we are talking about the reality of towing with a vanagon (not a theoretical application), then the OP needs to understand the optimal placement for a trailer axle. It seems j_dirge posed the right question: where would you place the axle, given the real-world tongue weight limitations and suspension of the vanagon?
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about we bring this back to the topic?

I asked the question about "Where to put axle" because its the one we've asked on custom trailer builds (other applications).
We were lucky in our effort because we could bolt down dual axles and try it out.. move them. Some trial and error.
That won't be so easy on a Vanagon body trailer.

I put down the numbers since they are roughly the "conventional wisdom" in towing with respect to Vanagons (at least the ones I have followed, in my efforts as I explored modifying my Vanagon for heavy-duty towing.)

1000lbs upper limit of trailer weight
100-150lbs upper limit of tongue weight for the Vanagon stock suspension
10-15% tongue weight, general rule of thumb

You have to start somewhere.. like the weight of a Vanagon carcass with rear wheels on OEM control arms. (likely more than 1000lbs?)
With axle at the rear.. that makes for unreasonable tongue weight due to weight distribution, IMO.
So now you're chopping the carcass.. but where and how much? How to do it and place the wheels/axle in an optimal location given the Vanagon-based trailer body

That is where I wanted the conversation to go.(with apologies to the board)

You are right.. More factors in.. Correct where wrong. Discuss. Expand.
And I'll stay out of it.

Now is an excellent opportunity to help the OP, (and others interested), in those aspects of designing/building trailers.

My example was provided to illustrate how ridiculous one can go, if one chooses.
3000lbs all up.. 275lbs tongue weight. It certainly was not optimal towing.
I decided that my vanagon as heavy duty-tow-rig was not going to happen.

Hope this discussion gets back on track.. Am signing off for a week+.. of much needed R&R.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea... it's absolutely cool from some of the pics.. nice..

but...

the weight... oh Lord the the weight.. what kind of engine will I need to pull that sexy monster?

Very Happy
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have toyed with the idea of converting the whole van to a trailer if the motor goes in mine. yank the blown motor,tranny,gas tank etc. any dead weight basically. leave the aux battery setup,stereo,solar panel etc.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fredn wrote:
You guys should get a room if you want to put tongue weight on each others axles.

That was funny..
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am following this thread with interest as I have a 86 tintop that I would like to eventually cut up and make some sort of matching trailer for my westy, a style yet to be determined. I read these statements about max tongue weight of 150 or 200 lbs but no thought to how the van is loaded. I suspect that with a suitable frame mounted hitch higher static weights might be possible especially when you consider that 2 chubby people in the back seat would likely load the rear of the van more than 150 lbs of tongue weight. I have towed a variety of trailers with cars, vans and several motorcycles. My custom built teardrop towed with a Honda Goldwing weighed over 400 lbs loaded and it towed the best with between 70~80lbs of hitch weight and was very stable to speeds in excess of 90mph! Honda does not recommend towing at all! I put approx 20,000 miles on this set-up totally trouble free. I did many experiments with adjusting the tongue weight simply by loading the trailer different. Power aspects aside I personally feel that if a 900lb motorcyle can safely move nearly half its total weight in trailer than surely a 4 wheeled van can safely tow at least 1500 ~2000lbs assuming correct hitch equipment and proper loading and of course excellent brakes. Yes you are gonna be slower on hills but I say build it and try it. Thats what I intend to do.

Gerald
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A eurovan would be more suitable to make a trailor out of it, simply because of the lower rear floor, and I would choose the rear two doors over the rear hatch door.

For the vanagon trailor idea, to make it more usefull in my opinion, you would need to chop off the whole floor out, and make a flat frame. Then weld the rear light valance to the tailgate to make it all open in one piece.
1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

backyard_cnc wrote:
I read these statements about max tongue weight of 150 or 200 lbs but no thought to how the van is loaded. I suspect that with a suitable frame mounted hitch higher static weights might be possible especially when you consider that 2 chubby people in the back seat would likely load the rear of the van more than 150 lbs of tongue weight.

I agree. I know for a fact I have over 140 pounds of rear bumper weight (bumper plus two spares). Handling didn't change but it doesn't have the lever effect a trailer could have (wagging the dog?).
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crosswinds aside, I have learned from towing a large trailer (relative to the tow vehicle) with a motorcycle that tongue weights closer to 20% make for a more stable, less "tail wagging", towing experience. The location of load weight within the trailer not only affects the tongue weight but also plays a factor in the overall feel of the tow. I did many high speed experiments to determine how to load my trailer so that if I pull out to pass at 85mph I didn't have to worry about speed wobbles. While observing safety sometimes you just have to try it out and experiment to see what is possible. Lots of highway tractors with just 425hp towing tens of thousands of pounds so surely your just about 100hp should be able to manage a few thousand if set up correctly.

Gerald
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottychop wrote:

This is actually pretty close to what I was thinking, but maybe even shorter,
and retain the full deck at the back...the lockable weatherproof storage is very appealling.
As you can see, very small very light.
As to some of the other pics...amazing :shock:wow
AdrianC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

backyard_cnc wrote:
I read these statements about max tongue weight of 150 or 200 lbs but no thought to how the van is loaded. I suspect that with a suitable frame mounted hitch higher static weights might be possible especially when you consider that 2 chubby people in the back seat would likely load the rear of the van more than 150 lbs of tongue weight.

Have a look on the VIN plate for the maximum rated weight for the vehicle, the train, and the front and rear axles.

You don't want to exceed ANY ONE of those. Put too much noseweight on, and you'll be a chunk closer to either the GVW or the rear axle maximum weight, even before considering the max rated noseweight for the towbar.

Ah - here y'go...
http://www.westfaliat3.info/VW_T25_Instruction_Manual_July_1987WestfaliaT3WM.pdf
P130. 50kg noseweight maximum unless uprated and "special certificate", which takes it to 75kg.
www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the idea for the looks but in my opinion it is a very poor candidate. At best, I would cut out the entire chassis and rocker, all the way to the top of the wheel wells and mount the now greatly lightened body on a flatbed utility trailer, this would allow the rear door to open to a flat bed, which is very appealing.

Otherwise you will have a trailer with the axles too far rearward, an uneven floor and it will weigh a ton.

As for carrying spares...replace wear items and do regular maintenance and they are not needed, stow some under seat if you really want to bring some. Disabling a trailer to abandon and keep your van running is not logical.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
As for carrying spares...replace wear items and do regular maintenance and they are not needed, stow some under seat if you really want to bring some. Disabling a trailer to abandon and keep your van running is not logical.

good advice ...and I've done it
But...Sorry.... I've lived in Africa. Australia . and Mexico. Your wrong,
I've had to leave trailer,after cannibalising them, more than once
karrol.pl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, this is my project Camping Vanagon. It was created in 2013, the interior of Westfalia. The color matched to my syncro.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice! How much does it weigh? Do you know the tongue weight, too?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
karrol.pl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole without luggage, water, gas and battery 720kg.

Do you know the tongue weight, too?

If I understand the question is pressure on the ball of about 120kg, depending on how much you have luggage in the trunk.

If there is anyone interested, here are photos from the construction trailer

https://picasaweb.google.com/109053278306825383844/ProjektVagonVanagon?authkey=Gv1sRgCO7ioYbUmI2oxQE

Sorry for my bad language:)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: