Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cracked rain gutter from awning
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:01 pm    Post subject: cracked rain gutter from awning Reply with quote

I've had an awning on my van for many years mounted with the GoWesty adapters and now they are cracked in those locations. what is another way to mount?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked rain gutter from awning Reply with quote

Was the lower tab floating away from the body?
Or does it restt on the body?
Maybe you have to put a bolt in the tab to prevent the movement.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked rain gutter from awning Reply with quote

Pics please.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked rain gutter from awning Reply with quote

This is the exact reason why I have not put one on my van

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked rain gutter from awning Reply with quote

How big of an awning? How many mounts? Are they bolted to the body?
Oh and... Pictures

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked rain gutter from awning Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

Skillz maybe its because you're not camping often enough....??

I've seen perhaps a hundred awnings but never seen cracked gutters.
A pic of the mount and it's installation will help this discussion.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked rain gutter from awning Reply with quote

I’d bet Skills had similar concerns to mine when I went with another awning (Jonce Fancher’s, it survived Hurricane Matthew when 30 miles from Savannah).

My concerns were mostly about wind strength and weight of the Fiammas, but for whatever reason also didn’t like the mounting. I guess things can look riskier or more intrusive than they turn out to be, a proper worry of loving these old vans.

Is the OP saying the mounts cracked, or the rain gutter?

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: cracked rain gutter from awning Reply with quote

For awnings you should really have 3 brackets even with the arb awnings. Also when you install the brackets there is a such thing as tightening them to the rain gutter too much. You can actually see it bending and distorting the rain gutter which I assume weakens it. You need to back off on tightening at that point.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: cracked rain gutter from awning Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Skillz maybe its because you're not camping often enough....??

I've seen perhaps a hundred awnings but never seen cracked gutters.
A pic of the mount and it's installation will help this discussion.

in my 30+ years of camping (a bulk of that in a bay) I have never seen the need to lug one around.

Yea, they are kind of cool but I also never found a need to set up my (factory) drive away tent either.

looking at the various mounting systems it is inevitable that there would be some damage to the van. Believe it or not, every time I have to drill a hole in a car...my ass puckers. I 100% hate it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: cracked rain gutter from awning Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat and would really like to see photos of the OP's issue.

Almost all of my camping is accessed by driving USFS roads with a good amount of washboard, bumps, and ruts. My wife is pushing (actually offering to buy) an awning for our van. The only one I really like is the hard-cased ARB option but I worry about the raingutters, drilling holes for brackets, and the possibility that a third bracket won't fit due to the curvature of the van as I've read on another thread here.

In 30 years of car/van camping I can count the number of times that I've used or wanted to use a tarp/awning on one hand. And I'm quite good at rigging a tarp to the side of my Westy.
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: cracked rain gutter from awning Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

To deal with the curve I used spacers but the intent was to not bow the awning. I guess it would work the other way around too and not stress the van.

BK
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked rain gutter from awning Reply with quote

I have the 3 brackets without the bottom hole drilled. So far no issues. I had the arb. I moved to the fiamma.

Drilling into the body is 100% the best solution. But I too hate drilling holes. The bottom portion still makes positive contact with the body and has yet to pull away. But, ya it is still a lot of weight riding on there. I'm surprised people mount roadshowers on rain gutters.

The ease of setting up and breaking down is huge on how often I use something. The fiamma takes seconds. I have a 23zero 270 degree awning on my overland trailer. I have used it 0 times.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked rain gutter from awning Reply with quote

Agreed on all counts elizer.

Re: drilling a classic vehicle, I pucker too, hem & haw.
Eventually I have to remind myself that if drilling was so bad, rust repair or collision repair would be impossible
and upon discussing with myself that a hole can often be patched,,,,

I weigh how bad I want the mod, how much time I've wasted thus far,
get confident that I'm not about to drill the wrong location,
and (if all is well) drill-baby-drill.

The awning is kind of like a specialty tool.
Only AFTER you buy it...
And use it more than once,
can you start the regret,,,,
in not buying it 30 years ago.

Upgrading to the Fiamma is like "then buying the better tool" and you start the "past regret" counter at zero again.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked rain gutter from awning Reply with quote

Link

Even with this ease, I rarely use it. Only if hanging out in sun or rain...I rarely hang out.... And it's nice to have when one wants it

Now the brackets, supported on the rain gutters and drilled into side have worked really well. I think the lower support point helps.

The same brackets on the other side have held a couple hundred pounds or kayaks, skis, and hang gliders depending on season.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make

Last edited by vanis13 on Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked rain gutter from awning Reply with quote

Huh... I've heard of sunk costs. This thread's direction makes me feel as if there needs to be a new term:

Sunk Regrets!

I've got enough money to buy a Fiama, and have had such an amount (dedicated for VW toys, and fixes) for quite a while. Mrs. Black Loves the idea. Our camping style has never had me grumpy that I didn't have an awning yet. But, I still WANT one..
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked rain gutter from awning Reply with quote

The fiamma 45s 10ft weighs about 50 lbs
The arb Hard case 2500x2500 weighs about 40 lbs

Still curious to see the OP pictures, driving conditions, etc.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked rain gutter from awning Reply with quote

Had awnings for over 20 years. No gutter issues.

And I drive out west every year and hang out on wash board.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked rain gutter from awning Reply with quote

elizer wrote:

Still curious to see the OP pictures, driving conditions, etc.

Eh!

He's in Pennsylvania....... you know how THOSE people are! 😂😂🤷‍♂️

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: cracked rain gutter from awning Reply with quote

We love our Fiamma awning and couldn't imagine camping without it. Especially here in the PNW where it will rain from like Nov-April Very Happy
I too was concerned with cracked and deformed rain gutters especially after we went to the 10' F45 awning. Here is what we did:
I took the GoWesty brackets and added 2" to each side of the clamping area making them around 7" wide each. I just used a small sledge, a vise and a welder to form the extensions. This spreads the clamping loads out significantly. We then drilled and inserted the Rivnut to use a security bolt to retain the lower part of the bracket onto the body. This is very important to keep it from flopping around. We also used spacers to deal with the curve of the Westy vs the straight awning.

We still feel it shaking a bit on rough washboards but after a few seasons of abuse, it looks just like it did when we modified it.
Hope this helps.
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel

Last edited by thatbaldwinlife on Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: cracked rain gutter from awning Reply with quote

Good work creating a fix, but this ^^^ is precisely what’s amiss with some vendors, and *consistently* one in particular that I’ve personally observed for over a decade now.

If vendors can’t make the time to engineer and fully test their wares, in what other venue is it presumed or acceptable that the users — the *customers* — are able do that pre-market work for them?

Nonsensical, and I’ve tired of posters here excusing what clearly appears to be absolute disrespect in serving — and in some cases, protecting — the customer.

We customers *built* these companies with hard-earned money, they owe us for that and for trusting them, and we deserve that very basic Business 101 consideration.

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: