Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

front torsion question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: front torsion question Reply with quote

since this is my first time with a ball joint beam apart...I have read a bunch and it seems like I have a mis-match of parts. From what I have read, there should be 4 full sized torsion leaves, and 6 skinny ones per tube??..is that correct. Here is a pic of what I have in the beam I pulled apart. There are 3 wide, one a bit skinnier and two thin per tube. They were very hard to get out, and now impossible to get back in.
I just wanted to confirm that these are an incorrect mix.
thanks
Matt

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Islandman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you do have the improper stack. I've torn down both types. Ball joint has the 6 small with the 4 wide (same size) like you said. A smaller number of leaves is sometimes used to compensate for a narrowed beam if that's the case. Best way to get them in is one at a time through the center holder for me.
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance someone can give me the measurement on the proper sized large ones for a balljoint beam??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PO may have wanted to stiffen up the front end a little. That is a little low $$ trick that has been used for years. You switch some of the small leaves with solid ones. It may be that when they did it, they put in a LP leaf. Sorry, no specs for you.

As far as reinstalling, I always use a bunch of rubber bands. I line up a the leaves like they are supposed to go, then wind up the leaves real tight with small rubber bands. Hopefully this will help you out. However, I have also ran into front beams that are a little tweaked, the it can be a royal Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Islandman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

58Dub wrote:
Any chance someone can give me the measurement on the proper sized large ones for a balljoint beam??

Thought i had some pieces laying around from a recent narrowing job but i cant find them.......Clean the grease outta the way and shine a bright flashlight into your beam. Slide one of your wide leaves into the center holder. It should be a snug fit. Same for the control arms. Shouldn't be any back and forth slop.
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks....I think between the two, I can come up with one proper stack...I'll need to buy a set for the other tube.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: