Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Made in USA" Pertronix II 034 Distributor - MADE
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Almost Alive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: "Made in USA" Pertronix II 034 Distributor - MADE Reply with quote

Just passing along some useful information. I've seen the Pertronix II 034 distributors sold as "Made in USA" from multiple companies however Pertronix themselves just confirmed this not to be true.
------------------------------
Corey,
Our distributor are made in china and we buy them complete. Therefore, we do not have parts to sale, like the springs and stuff.
I'm sorry but we wouldn't be able to get you parts for your rebuilds.

Marvin Grebow Jr
PerTronix Inc.
----
Hmmm... but I thought these Pertronix II 034 distributors were made in the USA?
Corey
----
Cory,
Nope. The only thing made in the USA is the Ignitor II Module. Which is made directly in our factory. All the distributor parts are made overseas.
Marvin Grebow Jr
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprised.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: "Made in USA" Pertronix II 034 Distributor - M Reply with quote

who says they are made in the USA?

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Almost Alive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: "Made in USA" Pertronix II 034 Distributor - M Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
who says they are made in the USA?

http://shop.kaddieshack.com/Pertronix-SVDA-Distributor-MADE-IN-USA-D186504.htm

Last edited by Almost Alive on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this:
Quote:
Don't be fooled by cheap Chinese distributors. From our own personal testing and use, Pertronix USA made distributors

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of manufacturers get away with this by simply re-boxing in the US, or "assembling" (as if there was any standard definition for that) in US even though its all made in China.

Then again, plenty of "foreign" stuff like Hyundai's and Toyota's ARE made in the US, but don't tell the rednecks that they want their Canadian and Mexican "USA MADE!" domestics. Rolling Eyes
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSMskater wrote:
a lot of manufacturers get away with this by simply re-boxing in the US, or "assembling" (as if there was any standard definition for that) in US even though its all made in China.

Not true. The Federal Government has very strict trade laws regarding how much of a product must actually be made in the USA to be labeled USA. They can not simply rebox a Chinese item and label it USA.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bruck of Germany"... made in China.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is way more foreign cars built in the usa than "american" cars built in the usa. I have a new cb 009 clone that says made in canada... I wonder where it was made. cb told me it has the same curve as the 09. why I dont know, it realy dosent take any more$ to make it work right.and sell it like the 044's as an o99 or somethen like that. a cheep alternative to the billet dist(witch works great BTW)
Alte Blechdose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 12 years ago I worked at a Volvo Heavy Equipment plant for a contractor. The Frame, Body/Chassis production plant closed after 30+ years and the process was packed up and moved to Mexico. The testing, Wiring and assembly building remained open. The cabs were eventually imported from Europe pre-wired. Assembly of Mexican and European parts was done by American workers. None of which could read or speak either language. Of course Volvo was very proud of there American made equipment and made mention of it as much as possible. I need not comment on quality issues given the above information.

I seriously doubt anything is truly made in the USA from beginning to end with the exception of toilet paper.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alte Blechdose wrote:
I seriously doubt anything is truly made in the USA from beginning to end with the exception of toilet paper.

http://keepamerica.com/shop/about-us.html

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
Alte Blechdose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great link Glenn. Hope springs eternal.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never been to hope springs, but when a new boat line was taken on and they were a new company using the volvo stuff and the boats were not fully riged(not realy riged much at all) we had to do it, and gess what?? the manuals were not in english. but a boat is a boat and it has to float.but the wiring was a bitch to figure out, I reckon thats why the boat builder didnt finish them.
Alte Blechdose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" I reckon thats why the boat builder didnt finish them."

Wasn't the wiring, It was the cheap 009 distributors they used. Rolling Eyes Seems like I remember Blackfin/Shamrock had the same problem.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these were dynasty boats,an off shoot of wellcrapt.but that was almost 20 years ago& we handled somay boat lines.ciggerettee,apatchee,formula,wellcrapt,eliminator and more,and then all the small stuff, like checkmate,dnasty,thundercrap,godfry etc.and the yamaha full line of skies. I miss those days.feal like shit &hop on a ski for an hour testride or in a 42 cigg or 48 apatchee for an hour or so playing around@ 100+mph(aka check ride) it kinda puts things back into prospective for the rest of the day.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: "Made in USA" Pertronix II 034 Distributor - M Reply with quote

Quote:

Our distributor are made in china and we buy them complete. Therefore, we do not have parts to sale, like the springs and stuff.
I'm sorry but we wouldn't be able to get you parts for your rebuilds.

Marvin Grebow Jr
PerTronix Inc.

Absolute Bull**** . If you're the importer, then you merely disassemble a single unit and supply the customer with what he needs. There is no acceptable excuse for this cheapskate position.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He wanted to buy the parts to repair a Bosch distributor.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
JSMskater wrote:

Not true. The Federal Government has very strict trade laws regarding how much of a product must actually be made in the USA to be labeled USA. They can not simply rebox a Chinese item and label it USA.

Lol. And every company you've ever dealt with followed the rules right? None of them employed any illegals or skirted OSHA laws? Rolling Eyes Laughing

I have SEEN it first hand. I have many other friends in all different kinds of industries who see it happen every day. These laws ARE NEVER ENFORCED.

That you think the federal government cares about any of this is laughable. And that's not even getting into the people who don't even bother reboxing or doing anything remotely close to "assembling" yet STILL advertise as "made in USA". Rolling Eyes You're seriously delusional if you believe that you know what you're talking about here. They can, and do, every day, because nobody ever calls them on their BS and no one wants to spend the money (and risk the lawsuits) of sending in federal agents to collect the evidence, spend 10 years litigating, and then get a slap on the wrist fine that changes nothing!
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
Alte Blechdose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, It's been about 24 years since I worked at Blackfin and the 32 combi with twin Volvo penta's was the top of the line for speed with them. Gasoline Alley was before my time, But remember hearing of some pretty wicked boats were being produced back then. Real smuggler stuff not the watered down version's of performance today.

I was joking about the 009 remark on the boats. I remember reading in a post about the actual cost of a 009 or SVDA ( El-cheapo ) to a parts distributor was roughly 20.00 bucks each per unit in bulk . Why is it so friggin difficult for theses dealers to sit down and set the advance curves properly with a machine when they get a order in. Like a machine shop plans ahead . Do it all in one day and minimize the cost. Makes no sense to sell a 65.00 part on a 20 dollar distributor that wont advance consistently or properly. Kinda like a turd in a three piece suit, It's still a turd.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

These laws ARE NEVER ENFORCED.
.. think(ing) the federal government cares about any of this is laughable.

x2 I've seen the shift from lax enforcement to zero enforcement over the past 15 years. Fool the consumer is now the norm, with China geting a free pass.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: