Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Tent Options: The Master List
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustsomeKentuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

GoWesty-brand 600D polyester:
Cons:
(new product, still under review)

Has there been any update on the GoWesty version?

Thanks!
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tent Options: The Master List Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with the new Sunbrella tent from GoWesty? I am in line for Ateliers which I know are excellent. but want to understand what I'm giving up to go with the goWesty tent

https://www.gowesty.com/product/tents/24808/gowesty-pop-top-tent-late-camper-
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tent Options: The Master List Reply with quote

I'll be frank. The acrylic tent sold by us, Van Cafe, and a few others is U.S. made by a company that's been making them for decades. Same with the OEM German cotton tent, also decades. Even our much less expensive house brand knockoff of the German tent is approaching a decade of proven reliability. By comparison, the GoWesty acrylic (sunbrella) tent is made in India by a company that has never made an acrylic tent before, and is fairly new to making poptop tents in general. Maybe it's a great product, maybe not, but it will be years before anyone knows how they hold up over time. This is not a job you want to do twice. If acrylic is the way you want to go (and I would advocate for cotton in most cases), why would you choose to be the guinea pig for a brand new unproven product, when there isn't even a cost advantage in doing so?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tent Options: The Master List Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
Does anyone have experience with the new Sunbrella tent from GoWesty? I am in line for Ateliers which I know are excellent. but want to understand what I'm giving up to go with the goWesty tent

I'm going to presume you'll be giving up quality. The only negative I think I've ever read about Ateliers is the wait time.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tent Options: The Master List Reply with quote

The wait time is unfortunate. We are dying for an Atelier, we have over 1,000 days on a Sunbrella awning and the material has unmatchable longevity.

In the end, the existing tents seem very good for one who only camps a few weeks a year. Why someone hasn't taken this craft to Atelier's level is curious, with them you have fifty color choices or more, the alternatives offer maybe three (tan, gray, darker gray).

I'd pay $100 more straight off just to have color choices, and more for Sunbrella or similar. Dreaming -- (since we're discussing a tent) -- softer Sunbrella would be the Bomb. Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tent Options: The Master List Reply with quote

We bought the GW acrylic tent four years ago. It fitted fine. It works just fine. No complaints at all - in fact better than that, full marks from these users.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tent Options: The Master List Reply with quote

This is what I went with. I'm thinking it was sunbrella? Anyhow, fitment was great.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/tents/4269/pop-top-3-window-tent-oem-material-and-make-?v=

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tent Options: The Master List Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
We bought the GW acrylic tent four years ago. It fitted fine. It works just fine. No complaints at all - in fact better than that, full marks from these users.

The GW acrylic tent you bought 4 years ago was the US made one that we still sell today (as do a few other retailers). GW is still selling that one but are also selling another acrylic one outsourced from India (which is the one the other poster asked about).

Last edited by Busdepot on Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:26 am; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tent Options: The Master List Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
This is what I went with. I'm thinking it was sunbrella? Anyhow, fitment was great.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/tents/4269/pop-top-3-window-tent-oem-material-and-make-?v=

No, that's the OEM German cotton one. Great canvas, highly recommended! We sell it for a bit less than they do because we get it directly from the German supplier rather than a middleman.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tent Options: The Master List Reply with quote

Your tent looks great, Brandon. 👍🏼

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tent Options: The Master List Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:

The GW acrylic tent you bought 4 years ago was the US made one that we still sell today (as do a few other retailers). However GW does not; they are now sourcing theirs from India.

False.

GoWesty still sells the USA-made acrylic tents: https://www.gowesty.com/product/tents/2514/pop-top-tent-acrylic-synthetic-canvas-fabric-?v=

This is GoWesty's in-house, India-made tent: https://www.gowesty.com/product/tents/24808/gowesty-pop-top-tent-late-camper-?v=
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tent Options: The Master List Reply with quote

My mistake, I have edited my reply to indicate that GoWesty is now selling TWO acrylic tents, one being the US made one we all sell, and another bring an Indian made one that does not yet have a track record.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tent Options: The Master List Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback. I have installed your standard tent Ron, and thought it was a great product for the money. I do want to go with sunbrella for this tent and am trying to decide between GoWesty and Ateliers. the Go westy is actually a decent amount cheaper once paypal fees and shipping costs are factored. To me, just because a tent is made in India - does not make it inferior. However, I would love some real world feedback given there is a long legacy of mismatched tent sizes from all vendors with a new production run...
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tent Options: The Master List Reply with quote

As a consumer, for me it's not about quality as it is about whose economy we wish to strengthen.

It's a shame that no American builder could replicate anything like our rigs. Just imagine if they had...

— Colin Chapman
tobloyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tent Options: The Master List Reply with quote

I saw this for making insulation panels, but has anybody uploaded a pattern for people who want to sew their own tent from scratch?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=463901
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tent Options: The Master List Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback. I have installed your standard tent Ron, and thought it was a great product for the money. I do want to go with sunbrella for this tent and am trying to decide between GoWesty and Ateliers. the Go westy is actually a decent amount cheaper once paypal fees and shipping costs are factored. To me, just because a tent is made in India - does not make it inferior. However, I would love some real world feedback given there is a long legacy of mismatched tent sizes from all vendors with a new production run...

My point was different. It was that the U.S. made acrylic tent has a 25 year track record, for about the same as the new Indian made GW one that has no track record at all. So what is the logic in gambling on an unproven product when a safe bet costs about the same? ($379 vs $399.)
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tent Options: The Master List Reply with quote

Ho Ron, does that mean that your acrylic tent is made from sunbrella fabric? Seems like this isn’t an apples to apples comparison otherwise
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tent Options: The Master List Reply with quote

Sunbrella is sometimes used generically like Xerox or Kleenex, but it is actually a trademark for a particular brand of Solution Dyed Acrylic Fabric. There are two major players in that market (and a few off-brands). U.S. based Glen Raven makes the Sunbrella brand and Austria based Sattler makes the Outdura brand. Both use a similar manufacturing process and are considered to be comparable quality. The US poptop tent supplier that supplies us, Van Cafe, etc. generally uses the Outdura brand, although they have used both. So the short answer is yes, other than brand name it is a comparable material. This is not to be confused with other "synthetic" fabrics, which encompass a much broader category that includes everything from polyester to nylon and can be much lower quality than Sunbrella and Outdura.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tent Options: The Master List Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Sunbrella is sometimes used generically like Xerox or Kleenex, but it is actually a trademark for a particular brand of Solution Dyed Acrylic Fabric. There are two major players in that market (and a few off-brands). U.S. based Glen Raven makes the Sunbrella brand and Austria based Sattler makes the Outdura brand. Both use a similar manufacturing process and are considered to be comparable quality. The US poptop tent supplier that supplies us, Van Cafe, etc. generally uses the Outdura brand, although they have used both. So the short answer is yes, other than brand name it is a comparable material. This is not to be confused with other "synthetic" fabrics, which encompass a much broader category that includes everything from polyester to nylon and can be much lower quality than Sunbrella and Outdura.

Yo Ron, do you guys still have blue acrylic? It's not shown in the drop-down window, but is shown in your thubmnail images for swatches. These are your US-made acrylics correct?
http://www.busdepot.com/253070704as
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tent Options: The Master List Reply with quote

Any 2020 updates to this list or are all the tents reviewed still basically the same?

I am specifically looking into fit and durability for the two main Non-OEM cotton/canvas tents offered by Gowesty and Bus Depot.

From what I have read These are the differences:

Bus Depot - ($240) tent is slightly thinner than OEM, needs to be stretched really tight for proper installation, stated as indistinguishable between OEM - 3 windows with removable screens. US made.
GoWesty - ($250) Tent has added UV and Water Resistant coating (whats that mean? they sprayed it once with 303?) 3 window with privacy screens and tie backs, removable front screen. Indian made?

I haven't heard much about the latest gowesty cotton tent. Any reports?

Thanks,
Paul
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: