Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Tent Options: The Master List
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is pics of the atelierspk.com

Too bad with in a year of getting it I went with a hightop and now it is just in a box on the shelf!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking tent and the color fits your vehicle well.
My Spidey senses tingle to tell me that a little play in the fabric may be a blessing. Especially since one can always tighten 'er up if desired.
You can turn it into money or save it for the next project.
Kejidog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kejidog wrote:
mike miller wrote:
Bought one from north westy this spring, was told it would take one week. 2 months later it came,installed it, unzipped the front flap and zipper fell out, the stop and binding wasn't installed and there is a 2 in long hole were the tent wasn't sewed. I went on a trip and called north westy when i returned.I have been dealing with Ray and patiently waiting for an agreed on partial refund and some material to repair. Always excuses, I wait and never receive anything and they never return calls. They told me Tuesday of last week a check was in the mail, still haven't received anything, poor customer service. If it wasn't for the flaw and lack of them standing behind their product I would have been pleased.

seems like we have the same run my zipper failed in my wife's hands in our first week of use. Mine came from Skylight guy in Canada. Awaiting a solution. Probably a full replacement. It is a nice top just cheap zippers. An outdoor clothing zipper would be a big improvement. also the windows don't completely unzip they are still attached by the zipper. a jacket style connection would be better.

still NO word from the maker or cdn supplier
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Review of the Bus Depot canvas, with pics of the installation process, just posted at http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=20
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Skylight Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Pop Top Tents - canvas, acrylic, hemp, etc... Reply with quote

This is Cheri, 'The Skylight Gal"

I do want to say this is a great effort here! But I think you have several vendors incorrectly posted...
for example,
The Skylight Guy - www.vanagonwestfaliaparts.com
We sell:
Bus Depot after market canvases
North Westy Canadian Distributor
Same acrylic canvasses as GoWesty made by a manufacturer/wholesaler in California
Considering making our own...are we crazy? Other than Ateliers there is no other Canadian manufacturer I am aware of and Ateliers has a two year wait list!

I don't think you will find Just Kampers at GoWesty as JK are partnered with Bus Depit

In any case, there is a huge variance in size and there's been many vans modified and Frankensteined over these past years making canvas fitting a huge conundrum for folks. Most issues arise with the installation...OEM have about 1/4 play...taught as a drum fit, not many can have the patience to line everything up so perfectly during this installation and end up tearing their screens in the process.

Tight canvasses make the re installation a nightmare for some, so having a little give is better in my opinion. It's also important for a tighter fit with cotton canvas, not so with an acrylic or acrylic based Sunbrella brand due to it being more water and mildew resistant in nature over cotton canvas.

At any rate, the canvasses supplied are meant to be fitted to certain size criteria, make sure you measure before you order, explain your modifications if any to the shop your buying from, as its easier to snip off or sew extra binder on before you try installing!

Please contact me with comments, design ideas, thoughts on canvasses...

[email protected]
Gibsons, BC Canada
604-740-1018
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Tents - canvas, acrylic, hemp, etc... Reply with quote

The Skylight Guy wrote:
I do want to say this is a great effort here! But I think you have several vendors incorrectly posted...
for example,
The Skylight Guy - www.vanagonwestfaliaparts.com
We sell:
Bus Depot after market canvases
North Westy Canadian Distributor
Same acrylic canvasses as GoWesty made by a manufacturer/wholesaler in California

All vendors listed under each tent type/brand are those who currently list said tents for sale on their web sites. Your web site does not specify which tents you sell, nor can customers specify which tent, other than via color options; you show an acrylic aftermarket tent installed (which is Outdura, not Sunbrella), but show North Westy's (who uses Sunbrella) in subsequent photos... Bus Depot's tent is not shown nor mentioned, hence the reason you were listed under the acrylic aftermarket tent only. I've now added you under the other two.

The Skylight Guy wrote:
I don't think you will find Just Kampers at GoWesty

Just Kampers' brand tent does not list GoWesty as a supplier, and never did. Bus Depot dropped JK tents (as far as I know), hence Just Kampers being the only vendor listed under the Just Kampers' brand tent.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andafiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell's frozen over!

Today, October 11th, I got e-mail from North Westy with a tracking number I assume is for the tent I ordered in May.

I sure hope this was worth the wait. It's going straight to racerrojo, who's going to do the install.

Fingers crossed that it fits and zips and is just as pretty as I'm expecting it to be!

'86 Westy 4-speed w/ EJ22 (a Racerrojo production!)
"It's got an eagle feather hangin' from the rear-view mirror..."
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody think the "thicker" acrylic fabrics would hold heat from a propex in any better than the OEM or repro OEM ones that are cotton?

That heat cost about a grand you know.
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a significant 'R' factor increase with my North Westy top, maybe less drafty and cold than the OEM top...I can notice a difference in the warmth, but at -10c or colder I still leave the roof down. This is the new and improved top, or so I'm told.
I suspect insulating panels or a high top are the real answer. Laughing
Jeff
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience with Sunbrella on boats, whatever change there is in R factor is probably minimal at best. The biggest benefits derived from using acrylic fiber are a change in overall robustness and somewhat less porosity. Possibly aided by a shift in color to favor accumulating heat, during sunlit hours, inside the tent. That said, IMHO, I doubt there's enough of a change to warrant changing the tent material for use in low temperatures. In normal conditions, durability and increased water-resistance are certainly positive points.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoWesty just announced "a new tent" with "something really special" in their Jan 2014 e-newsletter. The tent will "be available soon".
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think the "something special" will be a significant price drop? meh, me neither.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

designer wrote:
Think the "something special" will be a significant price drop? meh, me neither.

Given the cost of many other things in life, I think most of the vendors' pricing on tents is quite fair ($250-500). How much "significantly" cheaper do you want? I'm hoping the "something special" is more of a useful innovation and/or quality upgrade. If that happens and the price doesn't change… that's value.

As far as the acrylic fabric goes… I see the "less porosity factor" as maybe being a slight plus in the winter, but certainly a big negative in the summer. If it holds water out it also holds water (condensation) in. Read: mold on inside of tent, pop top and mattress Sad. Also, less breathability (is that a word?) in the hot summer.

Just my $.02
fyrgrrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything more on the NorthWesty tent install?
1985 Vanagon GL 7-passenger van (manual) - "Braunkuh"
1998 Subaru Legacy Outback (auto)
2003 Subaru Legacy L wagon (auto)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlanD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to the chart on the first page regarding the hemp/cotton tent: The fabric is much thicker and bulkier than OEM or acrylic. It doesn't stuff into the corners very well when putting the top down.

It seems to absorb more water and when you put the top down when wet, water drips from what hangs out of the inside corners.

Mildew is a problem and the stains don't come out.

Our original OEM tent was much better than the hemp/cotton in the rain, but we replaced it to get three windows.

Am going to replace with acrylic or something similar.

1989 GoWesty Camper-2.3 L engine-9% higher ratio AT
1999 Subaru Forester
1989 Toyota 4WD Truck
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the first page you state that the GoWesty Vanagon tent "costs less than other acrylic tents." This implies that it too is an acrylic tent - which it isn't. It is 100% polyester. Polyester costs about 1/4 the price of Sunbrella/Acrylic by the yard (and also costs less than cotton), hence the lower price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlanD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron- Is the polyester less durable in the long run? I purchased one to compare with an acrylic I had already purchased but not installed yet. The polyester is stiffer. I think I am leaning towards the acrylic even though it is more expensive.

1989 GoWesty Camper-2.3 L engine-9% higher ratio AT
1999 Subaru Forester
1989 Toyota 4WD Truck
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanD wrote:
To add to the chart on the first page regarding the hemp/cotton tent: The fabric is much thicker and bulkier than OEM or acrylic. It doesn't stuff into the corners very well when putting the top down...

Added.

Busdepot wrote:
On the first page you state that the GoWesty Vanagon tent "costs less than other acrylic tents"...

Corrected.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ron- Is the polyester less durable in the long run? I purchased one to compare with an acrylic I had already purchased but not installed yet. The polyester is stiffer. I think I am leaning towards the acrylic even though it is more expensive.

There are various quality levels of polyester, so not knowing what quality GoWesty is using I cannot speak of it specifically. However the manufacturer of Sunbrella claims that acrylic is significantly more durable than polyester (in fact it is one of their selling points). A more realistic question might be, will a polyester poptop tent hold up as well as the original cotton one did (around 20-25 years)? I think it's possible, but only time will tell. Whereas cotton and acrylic poptop tents have been in use for decades and have a track record, to my knowledge this new GoWesty poptop tent is the first polyester one ever. So it will take some years to learn how it fares over time compared to the popular choices.

For most people in most camping situations, I personally remain a big proponent of cotton, as was Westfalia, for reasons I explain in my article at http://www.busdepot.com/details/canvas/.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished installing the GoWesty cotton tent, 3 window version.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2511&category_id=&category_parent_id=

It appears to be decent quality. A bit looser than I'd like ~ will it tighten up with use, getting damp and drying out etc.?

Also, the weave seems pretty loose ~ is there any water resistance to these fabrics or will it get soaked? The OEM did a decent job of resisting a moderate amount of rain...if not, any suggestions for fabric treatments Something like ScotchGuard or similar?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: