Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pressing in ball joints-Busted two collars
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Pressing in ball joints-Busted two collars Reply with quote

I bought VW 459, and got them out just fine. But I broke one ball joint collar installing the first, then added a lot of heat and went easy on the second, and ruined that one too. How are these pressed in without destroying the ball joint collar?????
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually pressing them in is no problem. I assume you cleaned up the insides of the trailing arms and made sure there were no burrs, etc. Are you trying to press in oversize balljoints where they aren't needed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't assume anything. I did not clean them. Embarassed Ten years here and still learning.
They are Lemforder in the box, 211 405 371A. I don't believe they are oversize.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't just clean them...
get in there with just the right size wire wheel and go to town.
clean out all the rust & junk until you see CLEAN metal all the way around.

since you didn't clean up the torsion arms i could guess that you also didn't grease the new joints when pressing them in.
sometimes it's the simple tasks that can be unexpectedly complicated.
we've all been there Smile
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
you don't just clean them...
get in there with just the right size wire wheel and go to town.
clean out all the rust & junk until you see CLEAN metal all the way around.

since you didn't clean up the torsion arms i could guess that you also didn't grease the new joints when pressing them in.
sometimes it's the simple tasks that can be unexpectedly complicated.
we've all been there Smile

Cheers and thanks so much. Maybe we can stop the bleeding at $50. I'm about $500 into this job with the press, joints, and tool. Sounds crazy, but I rehab a bus or two now and then for extra money and the tools will get reused. Hopefully I won't have to buy 4 more joints. Very Happy
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's odd, i have pressed lots of bus ball joints and never seen the collar break due to the joint being too tight in the arm. i damaged a collar once when the support piece below the arm was off centre and in trying to get the joint all the way home it just pushed against my bottom support ring instead and the collar started to break away from the body of the joint. have you got a ring supporting the arm at the bottom? you need clearance under the arm when pressing.

i use a fine flap wheel in a die grinder to clean up the arm hole but you don't want to go to far, the joint needs to be tight in the arm. have you measured the arm holes and the joints?
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
that's odd, i have pressed lots of bus ball joints and never seen the collar break due to the joint being too tight in the arm. i damaged a collar once when the support piece below the arm was off centre and in trying to get the joint all the way home it just pushed against my bottom support ring instead and the collar started to break away from the body of the joint. have you got a ring supporting the arm at the bottom? you need clearance under the arm when pressing.

i use a fine flap wheel in a die grinder to clean up the arm hole but you don't want to go to far, the joint needs to be tight in the arm. have you measured the arm holes and the joints?

That's what happened. I bottomed it out. Thanks Scott.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you find the tool? i have been looking for quite a long time to buy one myself

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTC 7249 & VW 459 1/2 are what I use.
Got the press kit from a tool truck & the adapters from www.tools.vw.com.
Pics in my gallery.
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
where did you find the tool? i have been looking for quite a long time to buy one myself

http://vw.snapon.com/specialtoolsdetail.aspx?itemid=2800007

It's sweet. Stamped VW. I don't know if it's an original tool or made for snap-on. But it doesn't say snap-on on it.
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well I got my vw459/1/2 today and they worked awesome but I also need vw471 which is the peening tool. http://vw.snapon.com/SpecialToolsDetail.aspx?type=Tools&ItemId=11190008 I did however notice that one of my ball joints was not peened on the bottom when removing it and it pushed out easier then the peened ones and might have been replaced at some point and that the shaft of the ball joint was too high and higher then the VW tool and I needed to add a metal washer at the top on each side under the metal plate I was using to push the . The removal was a piece of cake but installing them and supporting the bottom by a metal plate on both sides is not easy. One of my support bars moved slightly inward and slightly flattened the metal bottom ridge. I also tried to install a grease nipple and I don't recommend it on flat bottom ball joints. There is only 1mm of material and then the ball is tight to the cup so there is no room.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v

Last edited by 1975 Kombi on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
OTC 7249 & VW 459 1/2 are what I use.
Got the press kit from a tool truck & the adapters from www.tools.vw.com.
Pics in my gallery.

Does the 7249 work well with bus ball joints borninabus? Our shop has one of these for VW cars (bugs, Karmann Ghias, etc) and it works well, but we always thought that the bus ones were so much more heavy duty that the torsion arms had to be pulled out and it had to be done in a hydraulic press. If that c-press works then that would speed things up significantly.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
GeorgeO.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressing in ball joints-Busted two collars Reply with quote

shiningstar76 wrote:
I bought VW 459, and got them out just fine. But I broke one ball joint collar installing the first, then added a lot of heat and went easy on the second, and ruined that one too. How are these pressed in without destroying the ball joint collar?????

I don't know how many times I've heard, "never put heat to your arms" and low and behold, the ball joints go in really easy. When these things are forged, these thing are made glowing white hot and applying heat to these things is just a matter of procedure. All you do is just heat them until their hot and then you press the ball joints in. You should see what some joker did to two of my arms when he tried to install ball joints into two arms I gave him.

germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will never need heat to press the ball joints into the arm. sometimes a little heat helps in getting them out.

in the original post the OP was not pressing them in properly at first so thought he needed something (heat) to get the joint to seat all the way home. the joints press into the arms with relative ease.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, i have used a little heat to remove them, never to install. GeorgeO...that really sucks.

depending on the company, i have seen the knurl way too big, as if they were oversized. the fix was to put them in a lathe and turn them .001 or so.

i forget when the interference fit is suppose to be. fwiw, i have never peened them either. never had an issue. if they were pressed in the other way around, i could see doing it, but the knuckle pretty much won't allow them to slide out.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
Does the 7249 work well with bus ball joints borninabus? Our shop has one of these for VW cars (bugs, Karmann Ghias, etc) and it works well, but we always thought that the bus ones were so much more heavy duty that the torsion arms had to be pulled out and it had to be done in a hydraulic press. If that c-press works then that would speed things up significantly.

yes, it works fine.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool - some folks use two hammers - one against one side and then bang with the other. It helps soften the blow to the torsion arm. Excellent job. Nice video too.

Last edited by SGKent on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the little puff of smoke in that video. There's some stored up energy there.
GeorgeO.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
i agree, i have used a little heat to remove them, never to install. GeorgeO...that really sucks.

depending on the company, i have seen the knurl way too big, as if they were oversized. the fix was to put them in a lathe and turn them .001 or so.

i forget when the interference fit is suppose to be. fwiw, i have never peened them either. never had an issue. if they were pressed in the other way around, i could see doing it, but the knuckle pretty much won't allow them to slide out.

Let me rephrase that: A little heat to remove them is a matter of procedure. I stand corrected.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: