Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

More power (sources)
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dagimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: More power (sources) Reply with quote

OK, first off, let me share a great little device I bought. I finally succumbed to buying a GPS. I hate the windshield suction cup mounts and Things have no dashboard. So I bought a gps handlebar mount for motorcycles. It clamps to the "oh sh!t bar" just to the right of the steering wheel. the clip that holds the gps unit pops onto the ball on the mount. Perfectly at eye level, never moves an inch (or falls off while you're driving!!!!) and can be removed and reinstalled in seconds. Came from amazon or ebay, both sell them.

So now that I have a good working GPS in my 40 year old car, I'd like to add more power supplies instead of using the original cigarette lighter. I'd actually like to add one inside (behind) the dash so its out of view and I can hide the electronics wire when not in use; just sort of tuck it in there via the glove box. Thoughts?

1973 Orange VW Thing, "Otto".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what mine looks like:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's a small piece of textured ABS.
The fuse is for the "radio", and the circuit breaker protects the lighter, the factory power outlet, and the aftermarket outlet in the glove box. The circuit breaker is mounted through the steel only because the hole was already there.

I have altered the glove compartment light to only be "live" when the ignition is on, because people kept accidentally leaving that light on.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added a second battery along with a new fuse panel and Automatic Charge Relay between batteries. Now I have a spade style fuse panel to run all of my accessories off of. It also has a bunch of ground inputs so everything is nice and clean. Now I don't have to open my old panel cover and mess with all of the wires that are hanging around in there. I love it
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the domeck brothers this is brother rons thing panel

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another power plug solution is to attach one of these to the Oh-Shit Bar and then wire the fused loom directly to the battery. This unit is heavy enough that motorcycles use this plug to jump start...not to mention the usb plug....:

Eklipes Black Cobra USB and 12 Volt Socket Charging System
• This black USB and 12 Volt Socket is the ultimate motorcycle cellphone and GPS charging system
• A 12-volt charging socket
• Off/On switch
• LED light indicator
• 2.8 amp USB port
• This package comes complete with a 3-1/2′ length wire, an SAE dual pin quick connector, Eklipes 2000 Amp EZ jump-start 2′ battery harness (505-668), waterproof caps and a chrome mount
• Fits all 7/8″, 1″ and 1-1/4″ handlebars
Buy it for $30 here: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/691-658?source=myb...BC9EFFA09#
dagimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kmann, I like the plug, but I'm looking for something that I can just wire into a switched power supply behind my dash. This thing is actually too heavy duty for my purposes.

1973 Orange VW Thing, "Otto".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: