Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rain-X?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Rain-X? Reply with quote

Has anybody had bad experiences with Rain-X?

I just spoke with an old-time "car guy" who claims that Rain-X makes it impossible to see out the windshield in rain at night--even with wipers in use. He says something about the Rain-X coating breaks up the light from oncoming headlights in a really weird way that "blinded" him. He said he spent an hour scrubbing it off with Bon Ami!

As you might guess, this was shared with me right after I applied Rain-X to my bus! Confused

I also used the anti-fog version of Rain-X on my interior glass. Unless it has changed since the last time I used it several years ago, the anit-fog stuff is definitely helpful so I was surprised to hear this about regular Rain-X.

Any feedback?
Proud Member #1, SBS (Stock Bus Society)

*Enjoy and appreciate your good health*

We used to play for silver
Now we play for life
nodtobob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always used Rain-X and never had problems and have never had to use my winshield wipers at all when the Rain-X is on the windshield, that's the problem don't turn on your wipers when using it, it tends to make a smearing effect, it sheets right off on the highway without wipers everytime!! I use the Marine grade Rain-X for boats and have used it on the boats underway never had to use the windscreen on the boat and it sheets the ocean water off just as easy as on the bus...good luck anthony
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also heard that from non-Rain-Xers. Boooooogus!

The secret, IMHO, is to Windex the windshield and make sure it is clean, and then apply the Rain X as described on the bottle wiping it off as described. I do all of the windows, mirrors and headlights. It doesn't last forever, but it does for a while. I re-apply about once every couple of months. Good wipers help a lot. I use the winter wipers all year long.

RainX will come off with Windex also. FogX does an OK job also.

I also use the RainX stuff that goes in the washer system. Pink and about $1.50 a gallon. Works good. Now if I just had an electric washer switch...

I also use RainX on my shower doors and Fog X on the bathroom mirror.

I should get a commission!

"Clean windows, a full tank of gas, and I am high on God!" - The Firesign Theater.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on the kind of rain. If the rain is heavy it will bead up and roll away but it's the air is very humid then the rainex will cause the windshield to get covered in a mist which makes it hard to see and you'll have to run the wipers when you normally wouldn't have to.

I used it once and decided for my climate I was better off without it. I'm now in the habit of cleaning the muck the builds up on the wipers more regularly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthmuffin
Samba Worm Farmer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it all the time with no ill effects. The airline that I work for also uses it on the aircraft windshields when the more permanent suface seal has broken down. After it is applied, we don't have to reapply for 50 flight hours. I give it thumbs up. Your buddy might not be buffing the stuff off the window completely which would give it a hazy look when light is shown through it.
JDawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get light sprinkles to heavy downpours here, and Rain-X has always worked great for me. I have used it on all my cars for about 12 years now. I'm in a dry desert area and don't have the ambient air that Ratwell mentioned, so the climate may make a difference in its effectiveness.
WAVEPIMP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used rain x in the past and yes like said above sometimes there is a glare in the rain when you have street lights. Maybe it is the humidity like posted above. I'm not sure what it is, but sometimes there is definitly a glare that makes it harder to see out when driving. I don't use it any more just for that reason, but in most cases it did work well, but it sure was annoying when it glared up and definitly a saftey concern. Just letting you know of my past experience. Its your call man!

Laters James
westy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain X Rocks. When the torrential rain falls in Florida, you can always see if you have rain x on. The water doesn't lay flat and blurr your vision. Did you ever have your wipers try to keep up with the rain coming down? Don't worry about that with Rain x. The streaks are most likely from a dirty windshield. Good wipers always make a difference.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Rainex for 24 years on all of my cars. It works better the faster you go and the harder it rains. This gives an added safety bonus.
People stay the hell away from you when they see you are doing 75 in the rain without wipers. This is good.
Colin Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, good info. The reason I was particularly concerned is that for the next couple of months my right leg is in a cast, so my wife has now suddenly become the bus pilot. I love her but she has a car IQ of zero and just learned to drive a stick, so I don't want her dealing with any more challenges than she already is when driving the bus. Wink

It is raining light to medium downfall here right now and she just left in the bus, so I guess I'll soon get the Rain-X report first-hand. The initial positive responses to this thread saved me from wanting to scrub off the Rain-X late last night while balancing on my "good" leg, so in this case the prompt replies were particularly appreciated. Very Happy
Proud Member #1, SBS (Stock Bus Society)

*Enjoy and appreciate your good health*

We used to play for silver
Now we play for life
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: