Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sealant between cylinder shims?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Sealant between cylinder shims? Reply with quote

If you need to use two (2) cylinder shims to reach the correct deck height do you use sealant between the shims?

Found tons of data on shims and deck height, but nothing covering this.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultra gray permatex
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Curil T. The problem with two shims is that if you don't use sealant between the layers, they'll fall off when you're assembling. They only really need some on the shim that's going to bump against the case.

Maybe you could tape the shims to the cylinder to avoid using sealant between the layers. Just a thought...
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a little to hold the shims together, sealant between the shims and case, but no sealant between shim and cylinder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a light skim coat between the shims, and on the cylinder itself. Put your sealing bead on the shim that seats to the case
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a hole tube of sillysnot.... no just a slight amount on the cylinder then the shims& it should be good to go, Ive never used curlyt on any thing so I dont have a clue as to how well it works, I have used, silyconeultra,yamahabond2,haylomar&518.none of witched leeked, but the 518 is a bitch to clean off.I only use it on cases, and may stop using it there I think it is too thick and dosent squish out enough, but on the other hand it is locktight so it wont let the case move around&fret.so i might just keep usig it.but it's a bitch to get off.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies...I'm planning on using 518.

And yes I know it's a pain to remove, had to split my case once during the build because I got in a hurry. Its a nice product and goes on much better than ultra black, 3M, etc...
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the trick to the ultra black/grey/orange is to use the nozzle that comes with it and slice it so it has about a .060" hole at an angle then it comes out just right, where you want it to(within reason of your abilitys,if you piss on your feet everyday you may have an issue with you aim...or you may be real popular wit the ladys that like farm aminals).I do like the ultra,it's easy&cleans up easy when dissambled.(for cylinders&exgaskets/joints only)
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
the trick to the ultra black/grey/orange is to use the nozzle that comes with it and slice it so it has about a .060" hole at an angle then it comes out just right, where you want it to(within reason of your abilitys,if you piss on your feet everyday you may have an issue with you aim...or you may be real popular wit the ladys that like farm aminals).I do like the ultra,it's easy&cleans up easy when dissambled.(for cylinders&exgaskets/joints only)

How do you clean your ultra permatex off parts? I have a hard time cleaning the orange stuff off.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t0ne321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any kind of Ketone will rip that stuff off in a hurry (Acetone or MEK). Only problem is it will quickly evaporate if it's too hot out.
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soak in a little gasoline overnight, RTV is gone.

Wire wheel works well too.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t0ne321 wrote:
any kind of Ketone will rip that stuff off in a hurry (Acetone or MEK). Only problem is it will quickly evaporate if it's too hot out.

I'll give it a try.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: