Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stupid Solex Question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastelweis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Stupid Solex Question Reply with quote

Hi!

I had a look at the Solex exploded view but couldn’t really makes sense of it so asking here. “Something” went missing from the right Carb on my 76 dual Solex bay. It was leaking gas so we had to put a bolt in temporarily just to drive it back home. What is the missing piece? Is it a brass needle vavle or what?

Please see pic where bolt is inserted ...

Any helpful answer from this awesome community greatly appreciated!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid Solex Question Reply with quote

Is it the brass closing/sealing bolt that goes to the bowl of the carb? The one you remove to gain access to the main jet? Usually accompanied by a red soft material washer?
Could you get an image of the other side of the carb, that way we are looking at the side of it where the bolt is inserted?

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pastelweis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid Solex Question Reply with quote

Hi! Yes, not the best angle I agree. I will take another picture when I am with the bus. Thank you!

/Johan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid Solex Question Reply with quote

Wow -- the bus was running prior to noticing this? If that bolt is out, all of the fuel would be streaming out of the carb.... Maybe the bolt is hiding under your clean air tube.

What is that shiny brass knob to the right of your replacement bolt, rubbing the clean air intake tube?

Here's a shot of a right Solex PDSIT carb that shows the bold (on the left of the bowl):

It also looks like maybe your air horn isnt' sealed on top of the carb, unless maybe it was disconnected to get your pic.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid Solex Question Reply with quote

xyzzy wrote:
What is that shiny brass knob to the right of your replacement bolt, rubbing the clean air intake tube?

Thermal accelerator pump valve, usually found on automatic transmission buses.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Pastelweis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid Solex Question Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the front facing side. Bus is not automatic ... nothing was removed in order to take the picture. Thank you to everyone taking the time to answer my questions. I’ll try my best to pay it forward.

Smile

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid Solex Question Reply with quote

Yikes. You dumped about 200 mL of petrol when that happened. Enough to start a nice fire. Check the other one too!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid Solex Question Reply with quote

May I suggest finding a smaller bolt with a felt-like material to button that carb up.
We want miles and smiles in our community, not fires and dires....straits well, a couple tunes is okay with me.
Glad you reached out, and found help from these awesome guys. Good luck,
Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pastelweis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid Solex Question Reply with quote

Yes, Question is, what is supposed to be there? Rolling Eyes Very Happy

A smaller bolt with a felt washer?

”My clean air tube” Embarassed
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid Solex Question Reply with quote

Pastelweis wrote:

Yes, look at the picture I posted, on the left side you can see the correct bolt.

Were you driving when this happened? I find it hard to imagine the bus would run without that bolt and without starting a huge immediate fire. Perhaps the bolt is under the clean air tube?
Pastelweis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid Solex Question Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Yikes. You dumped about 200 mL of petrol when that happened. Enough to start a nice fire. Check the other one too!

Good advice, other was fine, thank you!
Pastelweis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid Solex Question Reply with quote

xyzzy wrote:
Pastelweis wrote:

Yes, look at the picture I posted, on the left side you can see the correct bolt.

Were you driving when this happened? I find it hard to imagine the bus would run without that bolt and without starting a huge immediate fire. Perhaps the bolt is under the clean air tube?

I wasn’t actually with the bus myself when it was discovered. It was with a body shop. And yes I did find the original bolt below the air hose on the engine tin. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: