Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Windshields?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

Different strokes for different folks. I know people put the c trim in as PeteSC suggests. I know guys who put the trim into the seal before the whole enchilada goes into the frame. Its not easy either way, just whatever you find simpler. The T trim is a different system and most agree that trim into seal first but we still have had guys that do it the other way. Confused

In the past the issue with windshields was not that they were unavailable...it was that the available windshields were not correct size and some either did not like the green tint or the clear. Find out the BRAND that Ebersole has and size before dropping down $.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
PeteSC wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
PeteSC wrote:
T-trim = seal on glass -> trim in seal -> glass in car

C-trim = seal on glass -> glass in car -> trim in seal

Hmm, how do you get the trim to seat when the rubber is sucked in when doing C channeling if it's installed?

Visualize the C channel - it sits more on the top part of the seal/windshield than into the seal and beside the windshield edge like the T channel, so the window frame is not affecting installation (see photo below how rope is oriented at top of windshield in seal channel....it’s the same plane as the glass, not perpendicular to it). To install the C channel you push it outward as if you’re removing the seal from the windshield, if that makes sense. With the windshield out of the car you’ll spend more time fighting the seal staying on the glass as you try to work the channel in while simultaneously pushing the seal off in that process. No amount of tape holds the seal in place through that....I’ve tried.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With glass installed in the car first the frame holds the seal in place and the channel is easy to install with a window rope and just a bit of silicone spray.

The T channel is opposite because it is sandwiched between the glass/sealframe. Installing it while out of the car is best, and since it’s applied with downward pressure into the seal there’s less chance of pulling the seal off the glass in that process.

Makes sense. So, I assume you put the string in. The channel before you install the glass then? As you slowly pull the string out this open the channel to grab the chrome trim then? What size string are you using?

Either way; for the windshield in the photo the first try had the string in the channel first. I didn’t have the trim over to the pillar far enough so it didn’t seat correctly in the corner at first pass, so 2nd attempt I put the rope back in the channel after it was in the car. It’s really not difficult...I used an inexpensive window rope kit I bought on Amazon. With silicone spray and the curved hook that the rope feeds through it’s not one of the harder battles in the process.

And yes, slowly pull string while pushing trim into seal. If you pull the string away from the direction you’re pushing the channel it helps push back the lip that seats on the curved part of the C trim, so as rope passes that lip lands on top of the channel and secures it. It’s hard to describe...once you start installing it you see how the rubber works to hold the channel and it might make more sense.

And to echo Darrell’s point I’m not saying my way is gospel. A lot probably depends on how pliable your particular seal is as to whether you can put channel in before/after install. Point I’m really trying to emphasize is the two different efforts it takes to work C versus T channel into place, and to think about your application and whether installing it first/last seems like it would help.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

I just bought a new front windshield from EVW Parts.
Here's the good news for people looking for an early windshield. The height, width, corner radius, etc is all the same as original.

My original factory c-trim windshield

New EVW Parts windshield

The new windshield is a little bit thinner, however. The original windshield (top) is 1/4" thick, and the EVW Parts windshield is only 3/16" thick. So 1/16" thinner. I don't know how that will impact how well the seal keeps out water.
Also, it's hard to see in the pic, but the new windshield is in fact two-piece laminated glass as original

Here's the bad part. The entire windshield is covered in haziness. I've tried every cleaner that's safe for glass that I have, and nothing is making any impact on this. I'm thinking this windshield might be defective and have bad laminations. I've contacted EVW Parts and am waiting to hear back. I'll update here when I hear from them.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Don Radomski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

I had a similar experience and found CLR worked great.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

Meguiars glass polish will get rid of haze that most other products won't shift. But... if the haze is on the lamination layer it won't help
https://www.meguiars.com.au/product/perfect-clarity-glass-polishing-compound/
good luck
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

Please let us know what EVW has to say and what solutions you find if any.
I’m in the market for a new windscreen as well

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

EVW Parts recommended using Simple Green. I tried that, it made no impact. I tried CLR, and it made no impact. I'm not sure why, but the Meguiar's glass polishing compound doesn't seem to be available in the US.
Anyone have any suggestions for a glass polishing compound that is available in the US?

EVW parts said they would take the windshield back as an exchange for another, but I would have to pay shipping. I'd like to exhaust my glass cleaner options before I go that route.

Jeffrey, isn't your car a 70 or 71? EVW Parts only sells the larger early windshield for c-trim. Although if you're running cal-look seals I think it would work on a later car.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

"EVW parts said they would take the windshield back as an exchange for another, but I would have to pay shipping"

That haze is likely from the lamination failing. If they insist on you paying shipping to return, I would send it back in a 6" x 6" flat rate USPS box. You should not have to pay for that, have them send you an RA form.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

Thanks. I wasn't aware that they only sold the early ones.
When I redid my Ghia my back glass was quite hazy.
I used Rain-X Glass Care 2000 and an electric buffer. Worked miracles!

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Figment
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

I think I used mineral spirits and scotchbrite pad to clear my new windshield up after installation.

A little voice in my head is saying that I may have actually had to use 0000 steel wool, but that would've been an absolute last resort, I hate that stuff. I dunno it was a few years ago now.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

With some 0000 steel wool, heavy duty glass cleaner, and a lot of downward pressure and elbow grease I was able to clear a small area of this haze. But my arm's gonna fall off if I do the whole windshield by hand Laughing
I'm gonna pick up some glass polishing attachments for the rotary and take care of it. At least now I know that it is definitely on the outside of the windshield.

Seriously though, what in the hell is this stuff on brand new glass?! Frickin crazy

Previously owned:
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

Figment wrote:
I think I used mineral spirits and scotchbrite pad to clear my new windshield up after installation.

A little voice in my head is saying that I may have actually had to use 0000 steel wool, but that would've been an absolute last resort, I hate that stuff. I dunno it was a few years ago now.

I would never recommend a scotchbrite pad on windscreen glass. Scotchbrite pads have particles of aluminum oxide (alumina), titanium dioxide and resins having a hight Moh index. Glass is around 7 on the Mohs scale. Gorilla glass on you smart phone is about 8. Material harder than Tempered glass and will create micro-scratches on the worked area. Steel wool being about 4–4.5. (i.e. not hardened steel) is softer than tempered glass and will remove grime without harming the glass.

As a young idiot many years ago, my first "new" car was a Subaru and I was very interested in doing the best to maintain it. The dealer recommended a buffing of the windscreen using a scotchbrite pad when replacing wiper blades. With new wipers blades in hand and that advice in my head I scoured the living f$%k out of the windscreen even with what was a gentle hand buffing. Of course the dealer denied ever describing such a method and did nothing to assist with a replacement screen, not even offering to source one at my cost.
For that and other mechanical failures I never bought another Subaru.... but I did learn to test advice free or otherwise.

Nicholas
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

Dustin,
Did you get your windshield installed? Just wondering if it works with the new style "T" trim.

David
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

Redlabel6 wrote:
Dustin,
Did you get your windshield installed? Just wondering if it works with the new style "T" trim.

David

The windshield from EVW parts won't fit the T-trim because it's 17 5/16" tall, which is for the early C-trim, which I have on my early 66.

But I decided not to install it. I didn't like that it was 1/16" thinner than the original. The German Vewib seal didn't feel snug on it like it did with the thicker OEM glass. I'm just going to run my slightly delaminated OEM windshield, until I can find a clean OEM replacement.
Or, if anyone knows of an aftermarket windshield that is 1/4" thick like original, please let me know. No one in any thread has mentioned glass thickness, and I feel like that's as important a factor in seal fitment as height.

Previously owned:
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

Thanks for the information!
d
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

I have an aftermarket windshield update, regarding glass thickness.

After dragging my feet installing my slightly delaminated OEM windshield, I ultimately decided against it, knowing it would let my car down. I've spent the last couple months scouring classifieds looking for an OEM early windshield, with no luck.

So, I decided to contact both KGPR and West Coast Metric, and ask them if they could tell me the thickness of the 56-66 windshields they sell, which are both 17.25" tall. After the disappointment with the thinner-than-OEM FW-222 windshield from EVW Parts, I wanted to be sure I knew what I was buying this time around. I never heard back from KGPR.
But West Coast Metric answered my email almost immediately. Not only did they verify that their windshields are made in the US, but they also cracked open the packaging on one to take a thickness measurement and send me a photo, below. It's 1/4" thick just like the OEM windshield, which is the thickness the seal was designed for. I'll be putting an order in for one. I'll post pics once I have it installed.

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

My new windshield from West Coast Metric arrived yesterday, and I can confirm it is exactly the same dimensions in length, width, and thickness as the 56-66 OEM factory windshield.

The interesting thing though, is that it has the same part number as the windshield from EVW Parts: FW222. The difference though is that the part number is only on the sticker in the pic below on the West Coast Metric windshield. The EVW Parts windshield had "FW222" printed on the glass itself in the corner of the windshield (wish I'd gotten a pic of this before I sold it).

As I mentioned earlier, the FW222 from EVW Parts, while being the same height and width as OEM, was thinner and felt quite a bit lighter. It kind of felt cheap in comparison. On the other hand the FW222 from West Coast Metric is exactly like OEM in every aspect including thickness and weight, and it feels much more substantial.

I'm wondering if the FW222 from EVW Parts is a cheap Chinese copy made out of thinner lighter glass, but using the same part number as a means to trick people into buying it. Whatever is going on here, just be aware if you're shopping for a windshield, that just because a vendor says they're selling an FW222, it may or may not be the windshield you actually want. Ask for thickness dimensions.

West Coast Metric windshield:

EVW Parts ad (NOT the same FW222 that West Coast Metric is selling):

I admit I got suckered into the EVW Parts windshield due to the low price. I should've listened to that old saying "buy once buy right, buy cheap buy twice".

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

My new West Coast Metric Windshield installed with Vewib seal for C-trim. C-trim install will be my next project.
The windshield quality, thickness, weight, size, etc all feels exactly like my OEM factory windshield. I would definitely buy this windshield again if I needed it for another car, and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for an early 56-66 windshield.
The only negative I can say is that it doesn't have the original VW logo printing on it, but that's a legal issue and they probably would if they could!

Previously owned:
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

The VW logo can be sand blasted on the glass if you have a stencil.

Nicholas
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

I ended up buying one from Windshields To Go for my '73. Local pickup so there was no shipping $280.00

It was thinner than the original, and the edges were not polished as smooth.
It was also about 1/8" narrower than the original. That's probably a good thing though, 3 were broken trying to get them in. I broke one, and the shop broke 2. This was with the gripper teeth removed and a new seal. A different seal was bought from West Coast Metric and the last one went in fairly easily, even with the "T" trim.

d
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: