Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Windshields?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
VW window tint is green.

Sadly, colors don't photograph well in the digital arena but here is a piece of White paper against a partially opened window on my Vanagon...

Dave
That looks like I recall. That green tint always reminds me of the creepy uncle who wore the large square. green tinted glasses with the dark brown shirt and polyester pants. I think I will hold out for the clear glass if possible since I need a windshield and side windows as well.

Thanks,
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielsan wrote:
Looks like our emails crossed -- I didn't see your post about the 17 1/8 glass. Sounds much better -- I had an FY that I got from a local glass shop (btw, ask your local glass shop if they can get the FY for you its code FW222 FYG).

The problem with China (despite the fact that its an authoritarian government and the labor conditions are terrible) is that the prices are so low that manufacturers have an incentive to cut corners; corners that even the worst company a western country wouldn't dream of cutting. If you are -- literally -- measuring profits in pennies than it makes sense to start shaving quarter inches of glass off a windshield . . . that's an extra penny of profit.

So there might be a good FYG out there. I'd ask your local glass place to get you a fw222 and measure it yourself. I did the same thing you did -- called all the manufacturers. Plinkington looked up the data on the their 'all years' window for me -- 17 and 1/4, making it an early, C-trim window.

PPG makes a 17 inch, (late, T-trim) window. That's what I have -- but I really want to find an untinted one. PPG still makes/ sells them but the shipping is crazy expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLKSWAGON-KARMANN-GHIA-2D...0654422205

The other company that made them was Guardian -- 17 inch, late T-trim. There is a guy with 200 clear, Guardian windshields in Arizona but he has had so many problems with shipping he only sells them to people willing to pick them up. If you make the trip, pick one up for me Smile

Other than that -- its used, empty with googles, or vwheritage.co.uk. afaik.

mfitzsimor -- can you post photos of your window? If you got the trim to go in, I want to see if I can do the same.

Old post, but WHO was this holder of the Guardian windshields in Arizona! The poster of this message hasn't been on forum in ~ a year...

Who is the Arizona Guardian of the Glassery? Anyone? Bueller?

bnc
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

So, unless I missed something......

I can't get a "Cal-Look" molded seal for my 1971 Ghia, right? (normally "T" seal)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

Well, I talked to my contact today who asked me to send him some photos and dimensions.

This glass is totally doable in clear class with a DOT stamp but he stressed that there won't be an authentic VW label. This will not be a concourse quality glass because of the DOT label.

He was positive and hopeful during our conversation. He was thrilled to hear that I have an original VW glass to use as a pattern.

I'll keep you updated.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

^^^ WOOHOO! No creepy uncle, maybe.
Is he, or does he have, a source for clear convertible door glass as well?

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
^^^ WOOHOO! No creepy uncle, maybe.
Is he, or does he have, a source for clear convertible door glass as well?

-----
Emil

Haven't asked, I'll focus on the windshield and see if that comes in at a reasonable price then move forward from there.

Door glass shouldn't be hard to locate used.

This is not a "source for"...... this is a "make for" situation. Hence my fear about price but if I can arrange a group buy, with volume often comes price savings....... I hope! 😂

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
We're in conversation but no definitive answers yet.

There is a 17 1/4" glass on warehouse shelves in the USA but they are ALL tinted.
He says they are a very good quality, though Asian made.
Also beware of some replacements you may be able to find that don't meet DOT specs. The glass itself must be labeled as such.

These also only fit the older models up to 66 with the chrome "C" molding or fit all years if you use the "California" style glass seal.

I'll keep you updated.

Dave

A simple label doesn't guarantee DOT approval. I see this issue with 'labeled' parts in my industry, labels on totally bogus pseudo-cloned parts.

bnc
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

As long as it's laminated glass shouldn't matter for me, I've used far worse before, I.e. Lexan on a chopped pickup
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:

A simple label doesn't guarantee DOT approval. I see this issue with 'labeled' parts in my industry, labels on totally bogus pseudo-cloned parts.

bnc

We're a ways from worrying about this right now.
I'll cross that bridge once we have a bridge to cross.

I too am very well aware of the market being flooded with sub standard supplies.
I mentioned this very fact earlier in this thread.

If the project comes to fruition and you've any concerns, there is no obligation on your part to purchase.

FWIW....... the glass I'm chasing meets this Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standard.

https://www.sae.org/publications/books/content/z26.1/96/

I won't be smashing any glass units to verify the breakage pattern though.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

I went ahead and ordered the clear windshield from mid america motorworks and got a shipping notification today. It appears to be coming from EIS parts. I paid quite a bit for it ~$360, whereas I see on the EIS website they're advertised for ~$210. So looks like MAMW just collects a $150, oh well, hopefully I'll at least have one now.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
I went ahead and ordered the clear windshield from mid america motorworks and got a shipping notification today. It appears to be coming from EIS parts. I paid quite a bit for it ~$360, whereas I see on the EIS website they're advertised for ~$210. So looks like MAMW just collects a $150, oh well, hopefully I'll at least have one now.

It is a 17" glass height

http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/ghia-tinted-windshield_380102

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:

I went to both the EIS and MAMW websites just out of curiosity after reading your post.

About their 1967-1974 Clear New Front Windshield, EIS says ...

https://www.eisparts.com/windshield-frontclearnew-ghia-67-74.html

EISParts.com wrote:
Great part for any restoration project. This is the front clear windshield for Ghia's on Sedan and Convertibles from '67 - '74. Why settle for cracked, pitted, glass when you can buy a new one today!! All windshields have passed the DOT safety regulations. You are going to purchase the same size, shape and feel of you old windshield. All windshields and rear glass have to be foamed, this guarantees that it arrives to your door in one piece. You will see the foaming picture of a box, this is how you will get the windshield. The windshield will not be affected, when you get the box you peel off the foam, and your windshield will be wrapped in plastic with even more protection, enjoy! This glass measures 16 7/8 inches high in the center please measure your glass or the opening of your window to make sure you are buying the proper glass before you place your order.

Price - $210 + $45 Special Foam Packing Shipping Fee

About their 1967-1974 Clear New Front Windshield, MAMW says ...

MAMotorworks.com wrote:
If your 1967-1974 Ghia Coupe or Convertible Windshield is cracked or pitted,it's time to consider replacing your glass. This high quality windshield glass is a direct fit, making installation as easy as possible. The glass height in the center measures 17". Available in clear only.

Fits 1967-1974 Karmann Ghias
Fits Coupes and Convertibles
Clear Glass
Direct Fit
Height in Center: 17"
VW Number 143-845-101
Availability: Direct From Factory

Price - $299 +$64 Additional Oversize Shipping Fee

Based on MAMW's comment that the windshield is "available direct from factory", it does indeed look like they are simply pocketing additional profit not only on the part itself, but also on the shipping as well for simply passing on an order.

It is interesting, though, that if their windshield descriptions are indeed accurate, the two different places sell two different size windshields for the same model year range.

I realize that either size can be used for any model year if paired with the appropriate seal and trim combination (or shims).
The fact that MAMW is simply passing on the order is what makes the size difference even more interesting and puzzeling to me. Smile
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

hmm...the size difference is odd. I'll have to measure it when it comes and see which description is accurate. If I had to guess, based on prior experience, I would probably trust the EIS description. But why its 16 7/8" is beyond me.
Figment
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

NoDents wrote:

I can't get a "Cal-Look" molded seal for my 1971 Ghia, right? (normally "T" seal)

My 71 had (until I cut them out to do headliner) cal seals.

I ordered replacement from KGPR, but haven't attempted the reinstall yet.
Figment
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
Try...
[email protected]
410-336-8752
He said he could provide a clear windshield about a month ago, 17 5/16” high

Just got one from Joe, he says he has more.
(and good to do business with, when fedex broke the first one they sent the second one out UPS right away)
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

Figment wrote:
NoDents wrote:

Yes, but is the rubber "molded" for a good corner fit or just a straight piece that will stretch around the corners? This is my concern.

Thanks
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

NoDents wrote:
Figment wrote:
NoDents wrote:

Yes, but is the rubber "molded" for a good corner fit or just a straight piece that will stretch around the corners? This is my concern.

Thanks

Blocked is the term, are the corners blocked.

Most of the cheaper and hence "California" style is not blocked from what I can figure.

Think of a plastic drinking straw bent around a corner.
Go get one and bend it, you will quickly understand.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
NoDents wrote:
Figment wrote:
NoDents wrote:

Thanks

Blocked is the term, are the corners blocked.

Most of the cheaper and hence "California" style is not blocked from what I can figure.

Think of a plastic drinking straw bent around a corner.
Go get one and bend it, you will quickly understand.

Dave

Yeah.

Guess I need to dig out the chrome strip from my "don't throw anything away" pile and have it powder coated black so a German original seal will fit properly.
myghiarocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

If you just want Cal look the seals work good. You can't put the original trim on with Cal look. They go on pretty easy. Most people say it is much easier to install than the blocked with trim.

C16-141-521C - CAL LOOK REAR WINDOW SEAL GHIA 56-74

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16-141-121C
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Windshields? Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Onceler wrote:

I went to both the EIS and MAMW websites just out of curiosity after reading your post.

About their 1967-1974 Clear New Front Windshield, EIS says ...

https://www.eisparts.com/windshield-frontclearnew-ghia-67-74.html

EISParts.com wrote:
Great part for any restoration project. This is the front clear windshield for Ghia's on Sedan and Convertibles from '67 - '74. Why settle for cracked, pitted, glass when you can buy a new one today!! All windshields have passed the DOT safety regulations. You are going to purchase the same size, shape and feel of you old windshield. All windshields and rear glass have to be foamed, this guarantees that it arrives to your door in one piece. You will see the foaming picture of a box, this is how you will get the windshield. The windshield will not be affected, when you get the box you peel off the foam, and your windshield will be wrapped in plastic with even more protection, enjoy! This glass measures 16 7/8 inches high in the center please measure your glass or the opening of your window to make sure you are buying the proper glass before you place your order.

Price - $210 + $45 Special Foam Packing Shipping Fee

About their 1967-1974 Clear New Front Windshield, MAMW says ...

MAMotorworks.com wrote:
If your 1967-1974 Ghia Coupe or Convertible Windshield is cracked or pitted,it's time to consider replacing your glass. This high quality windshield glass is a direct fit, making installation as easy as possible. The glass height in the center measures 17". Available in clear only.

Fits 1967-1974 Karmann Ghias
Fits Coupes and Convertibles
Clear Glass
Direct Fit
Height in Center: 17"
VW Number 143-845-101
Availability: Direct From Factory

Price - $299 +$64 Additional Oversize Shipping Fee

Based on MAMW's comment that the windshield is "available direct from factory", it does indeed look like they are simply pocketing additional profit not only on the part itself, but also on the shipping as well for simply passing on an order.

It is interesting, though, that if their windshield descriptions are indeed accurate, the two different places sell two different size windshields for the same model year range.

I realize that either size can be used for any model year if paired with the appropriate seal and trim combination (or shims).
The fact that MAMW is simply passing on the order is what makes the size difference even more interesting and puzzeling to me. Smile

So, I finally measured the EIS glass that I bought through MAMW. It measures 16-15/16 Rolling Eyes so right in the middle of both descriptions.however, not sure if my tape measure is that accurate to a 1/16
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: