Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a LaDawri Quest QT, or LaDawri Sebring. Check the body measurements against this list.

http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/wp-content/uploads/scan_0121.jpg

bnc
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
Looks like a LaDawri Quest QT, or LaDawri Sebring. Check the body measurements against this list.

http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/wp-content/uploads/scan_0121.jpg

bnc

Yeah we found original manual and only referenced the original images to ones that were built... It might be the Quest but the Quest on the cover of the original brochure shows a split grill (like a solstice) but when you go to page 19 they detail a VW build and it says Quest but they show the big mouth model from the cover which says Daytona & Sebring... So maybe they made a typo in the brochure on the quest detail I dunno...

Cannot find a head shot of the Del Mar anywhere but you can see a small piece of material hanging down from the mouth from the side shot which would say, sort of, it is a split grille as well or a license plate hanging maybe, dunno. Whats its face actually looks like? Maybe no one knows... so the only conclusion we could come to and until we move it to its new home to actually take off some simple dimensions, it's either the Daytona or the Sebring...

Is this like when they said math would save my life someday?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,
I'll take Miscellaneous for $7.76, please.

This is very cool. THis just really screams to have it completely restored as a vintage kit...36HP and bias ply tires. THe only upgrade I would make is type 3 rear brakes and later model front brakes. The 57 and prior stuff is pricey.

Really cool!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Del Mar...

http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/17340/23.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8202/8249224172_904f7ef7e7.jpg

Those metal braces may have been added by builder, as no LaDawri's were built exactly alike.

bnc
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
Del Mar...

http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/17340/23.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8202/8249224172_904f7ef7e7.jpg

Those metal braces may have been added by builder, as no LaDawri's were built exactly alike.

bnc

Thanks didget!

My son was back yesterday and found out that on the keyfob dangling from the key that it says Sebring and he also may have actually found some original paperwork and/or history of the car but I haven't seen it yet to see what it actually is/isn't or what it says. Either way we'll still measure it after we drive it home Wednesday as that will pretty much be the definitive answer...

Were hoping we won't even have to trailer her home! We are pretty confident that she should do just fine for the short drive to her new home under her own power. All we should need to do is an oil change, top off the trans & bleed the brakes (bringing a backup master cylinder just in case tho) and a pair of spares off the '66 DD for some backup rubber. Age considered the actual tires on the car are not in terrible shape & she's held full air near a week now. The white walls that are on it are German made bias ply's that are probably older than the dust on the car.

It amazes me that this car has sat in the dark for 38 years right under our noses, climate controlled & above all bone dry! Current plate on it which is still attached expired 1975 and judging by the dust, debris and it's original location of the collection it was one of the first in and the most forgotten... We know she goes and if we can make her stop then we're gonna clamp the go-pro on it so you all can take a 15 minute ride home! : )=
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play it safe & tow it home -

bnc
GPM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:

bnc

Agreed. There is no telling what else in the brake system has perished and may fail under load when being used on the drive home.

Same with the tyres. Might be fine stood or just rolling about the place its at but no telling what will happen once up to speed.

Its just not worth the risk. Id hate your next post to be about the accident on the way home. Must be a trailer you can hire cheaply or borrow off someone. Its just too damn nice to risk!!!!
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPM wrote:
didget69 wrote:

bnc

Its just too damn nice to risk!!!!

x3
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now I have officially gone blind from trying to hunt for information on these La Dawri's.. But did manage to find a little more about them..

During Ladawri's factory lifetime the total of larger bodies produced thru their duration they only shipped 210+/- full size Conquest packages across their existence. The mainstay of their "coach kits" seem to be the Conquest model of which seems maybe less than 20 are known of and all on American made V8 drive-trains. And the rest are probably sitting in fields, barns or being neglected into obscurity. The majority of them were built off the old school "Henry J" style chassis from the mid-late 50's thru the mid 60's that helped fuel the emerging American rally muscle scene. The majority of them being home built soon after being featured in road & track in July 1957. In some further reading it sounds like what may have brought the California based shop down was a factory fire that either destroyed or damaged the majority of the original molds somewhere in the early to mid 60's (I'm still hunting facts on this)

The import chassis models on the other hand, the Quest QT & Sebring? There are even less known of that percentage and can't really find out even a guesstimate of how many were made and seem way more scarce than their American V8 counterparts. In an extremely obscure reference in a UK forum that I can't seem to find twice now there are only 3 known Sebrings, and all of them are built on Porsche platforms 1 in the US and 2 in the UK. And cannot seem to find any information on the import sized Del Mar as to possible numbers built either, yet.

Wow maybe we will trailer this home...

This is the Sebring done on a Porsche platform (sorry no detail specs)

A heavily modified Conquest QT done on a Ghia platform... link to album

Last edited by 0nebadbug on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the video & photos on the Conquest QT on 'Ghia' platform... my friend termed the construction to be a bit 'skeevie', as a lot of this car appears to have been haphazardly bodged together.

But I'd take the body from it & start anew...

bnc
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0nebadbug wrote:

The import chassis models on the other hand, the Quest QT & Sebring? There are even less known of that percentage and of the total of 200+/- made are even more scarce than their American V8 counterparts.
Wow maybe we will trailer this home...

Maybe you should go back and pay more for it then.... Laughing

This is a great find... I wouldn't have let it slip by either.
Clean it up, running, rolling...stopping.. . and have some fun.... I've seen scarier stuff running around.
Once you're done... then sell it.. cha CHING.... May not retire on it, but you wont loose either.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's the notion... Get the brakes squared away, polish her up a bit, slap the tags and come up with a simple wrap around interior figured up & fabbed and put it in to sit on ASAP, I imagine this won't be too difficult at all. Then there are a few local shows we're going to do over the next few weeks. Maybe we'll get a "WTF is that thing" award... I'm sure it's gonna get some hard long looks that's for damn sure! : )=

Also as soon as we get it home we're going to unbolt the doors too and try and figure out what we can do to get door latches in them to make them actually operate because hopping and sliding into and out of that thing really sucks! Hoping we can use similar to what hot rod shops might use like maybe Autoloc Bear Claw setups but not sure how they might adapt them to plastic body though. We'll see I guess...
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a bit late for this comment, but I too would trailer it home. I flat towed a 58 across town on tires that looked great (old bias plies) I got on the freeway for the 10 minute trip and the 2 rear ones blew apart even though they looked great and held air from the day before. They were dry rotted and simply fell apart at freeway speeds. You have a super cool car, would be a tragedy to loose it for they sake of saying you drove it home.

Looking forward to seeing what's under the body, great find!!!!!

brad
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah after weighing the pros & cons? I came to the exact same conclusions you encountered Brad...
So we trailered her at 8:00 am this morning to keep on the safe side...

...more to come...
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1965 SIUC sticker in the window is so cool! I hope it can be saved in your work on it! It looks better 45+ years later than mine did after one year at SIU!

Great find and cant wait to see more pics and vids!

RBofRB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I'm off the trailer and at my new home!

Bled the brakes and slapped on some spare hubcaps we had laying around and she looks AWSOME!!!

Wow what a day yesterday was... When we showed up in the morning the person we bought it from was waiting for us and when we went into the storage space everything was out of it except this one. Just the other day he still had tons of stuff to move as he had to have everything out by the end of Tuesday. And he was nice enough to offer to deliver it for us free of charge and my sons house was only 4 miles away and in the direction he was going.

So we got there unloaded and had had a look at our VW stuff for a bit and went on his merry way. So there it was sitting in the driveway. We fired her right up and immediately moved it to the back garage and started bleeding all the brakes and while we were almost positive that something was going to be dried or cracked, be clogged, rusted out or leaking to no end.. To our amazement as soon as we started inspecting the brake system they all had all newer lines both metal & rubber as well all had new bleeders and even still had the little rubber caps on all but one and to make it even more of a pleasure it also looks like all of the slave cylinders look to have been quite new as well as shoes all the way around!

Grabbed a full can of DOT3, clear tubing and a glass jar and made the way around. I poured, my youngest son pumped and my oldest ran around opening and closing the bleeders and in about 20 minutes of bleeding we had all of the air out & all of the junk out we have full pressure at the brake pedal! As far as we can tell right now there seems to be no leaking anywhere yet.

The only leak that we have found though is at the bottom of the fuel tank we hoped it was only the line from being dry maybe so we cut an inch or two from the end, added a fuel filter as the tank itself is a a bit dirty but in the end the lines are fine it turns out that the on/off/reserve petcock is dripping... Seals probably dried up from sitting so we'll order up 2 rebuild kits seeing as my oval's tank leaks has the exact same issue.

After that we slapped some extra hubcaps we had laying around and it was now only the matter of "OK who wants to be the sacrificial guinea-pig"... of which was me... so I took a short lap and started smelling burning rubber figuring it was maybe the belt so I stopped, my son opened the trunk to find the battery had slid over and was rubbing on the belt, we forgot to through a bungee on it (DOH). We dug one out the garage and solved that problem. The little wood tray that was built for the battery is a bit tired so this will have ton be fixed up right away. But once this problem was solved? We all took turns driving it a endless laps around the neighborhood without any issues this thing runs and drive awesome! But the old bias plys tires are going to have to go as they really ride like crap even more so because of their age but we will keep them on it until one of them craps out.

THE MATH CONFIRMS IT, SHE IS THE SEBRING MODEL!

And more doors all open, hinges are in perfect condition and have never been fitted with latches, ever!

Heck even all of the lights work, but we need a new brake switch and also we need to pickup a new flasher relay.
It also has a pair of monster sized horns in the front grill but we will have to trouble-shoot those as to if they work or not

Can anyone tell me about things you can see in these pics that I might be missing?
Never seen a coil like that before...?
The foot control extenders look almost as if they were actually made for VW's only...
And whats up with the billet tank on top of the master cylinder? Off road application maybe?

Yeah I know, Nice hair, but convertibles will do that I suppose.
I look like Bozo the clown... LOL

and here's a vid of just having some fun... it's a little long but hey... it was fun as hell! And towards the end you can see where there was a patch applied to the spot in the trunk-lid where the Judson Supercharger originally poked though the hood.

Ride along and ENJOY!

Link

edited for the new video which is way much more fun to watch

Last edited by 0nebadbug on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Those pedals are f**ked up, no other way to put it. The builder couldn't be bothered to move the cluster back? Really? I'd ditch the whole thing as that's just an accident waiting to happen, IMHO. Put in a set of hydraulics if you want since you've got the room in front of that firewall, or just relocate the pedals. That would eliminate all that clutter on the tunnel.

If that plywood isn't structural under the dash, pull that, too, and gain back some legroom...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Very Happy Those pedals are f**ked up, no other way to put it. The builder couldn't be bothered to move the cluster back? Really? I'd ditch the whole thing as that's just an accident waiting to happen, IMHO. Put in a set of hydraulics if you want since you've got the room in front of that firewall, or just relocate the pedals. That would eliminate all that clutter on the tunnel.

If that plywood isn't structural under the dash, pull that, too, and gain back some legroom...

I'll agree with that... It looks like someone did try to put a cluster more forward at one time. If you look at the pic with the door open you can see the mount holes were made but from where you sit they are way to far forward. And have already gone looking at a few hydraulic setups : )

We're more less just going to enjoy it the way it is until the seasons ends we already know alot of the plywood on that thing is in bad need of being re-engineered. Another thing on our minds removing the doubled-up plywood they used to attach the body to the pan it's almost it's over 1-3/4 thick! We have a local guy, and a VW nut as well, and get him cut & brake up some nice steel to replace it and then reattach essentially giving it a channeled appearance, it would drop the body a good 1-1/2" and then re-engineering most all of the panels at the same time. I was thinking to use aluminum clad 1" laminated panel sheets, would look a lot cleaner and alot stronger.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the plywood is structural, then? Wow... hmmm.. well, so are Morgans. Yeah, definitely enjoy it for the remainder of the season and start your reconstruction over the winter. I'm jealous - it really is a neat little car!
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
So the plywood is structural, then? Wow... hmmm.. well, so are Morgans. Yeah, definitely enjoy it for the remainder of the season and start your reconstruction over the winter. I'm jealous - it really is a neat little car!
Around the perimeter of the pan yes, but I've seen buggies with less or even worse than that on the road. All the rest is more or less just fills & wall material. With exception of the rig they made for holding the gas tank it's nearly 1/4" thick steel 1" wide one piece band and secured to the hilt.. Why they made that so heavy and then used plywood for the pan extensions of wood is kind of a mystery to me... This will be rectified come winter with the help of many Morgans, I'm sure... Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: