Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is officially AWESOME!!! I've come across some decent scores but this is like winning the lottery 3 weeks in a row. Can't wait to see that sucker mounted on the Sebring's 36hp! Very Happy

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
petew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I go looking for a unicorn, I'm taking THIS GUY! Laughing
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petew wrote:

There's a whole thread worth of response to that sentence, bro. Shocked
But I get your point. Wink

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause Yep, you better start playing the Powerball with the luck you've had this month... great find! Awaiting your build thread this winter Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy P wrote:
petew wrote:

There's a whole thread worth of response to that sentence, bro. Shocked
But I get your point. Wink

Unicorn hunting... Laughing

Letterman7 wrote:
Applause Yep, you better start playing the Powerball with the luck you've had this month... great find! Awaiting your build thread this winter Laughing
I would buy a ticket but kinda broke now. Wink

Seeing as we can drive it at will? I imagine this winter we will just start gathering up parts to upgrade things for when we are ready to go down that road... I still have the oval in process now and want her completed before the snow flies and a few other projects on top of it. And depending what I find after I crack open the Judson for a look see inside which won't even be until the next week, or three... more than likely I'll be sending in the Judson in for a professional refresh.

For the meantime It's at my sons house (he has 5X the garage space than I do). He's tried buffing on it with 5 different compounds but can't find anything yet that will make her shine up. He is going to try some wet-sanding with some #1200 & #2000 inside a door jamb area and then buffing to see what happens.

Other than that the main focus, for now, is more towards alot of cleaning & long overdue general maintenance, get some latches in the doors, something in the interior to sit on, it desperately needs new rubber, rebuild the leaky petcock on the gas tank, clean and repack all the bearings, get some fresh lube in the trans and will probably at some point will drop the engine and refresh a few gaskets, clean & detail and all that sort of non-destructive stuff... And I imagine by the time that is all addressed the season will be pretty much winding down here, but, we'll see...

Since bleeding the brakes and maybe getting 20-30 short miles on her she hasn't dropped any brake fluid what-so-ever anywhere and while that's a good thing we really want to upgrade to a hydraulic setup as soon as possible and possibly add discs all the way around, early Porsche style hopefully if their attainable, just for a bit more piece of mind going down the road.
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that you have had such luck with the high dollar stuff you have been able to get for next to nothing, you could spring for the Porsche stuff at market price and STILL come out way ahead.

Nice snag on that Judson. I look forward to seeing your restoration on this car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monomanx wrote:
Considering that you have had such luck with the high dollar stuff you have been able to get for next to nothing, you could spring for the Porsche stuff at market price and STILL come out way ahead.

The wife still doesn't see eye to eye.. But you'd think she'd be tempered after all of the decades of "HONEY I'LL NEVER FIND THIS AGAIN" junkyard stories..

I think this is the first time she actually bought it.... Laughing
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, am I pleased my missus is into VWs. She would've been all over the Sebring like a cheap suit. I would've been fighting to have a drive!

If I only could persuade her with my other hobbies, guitars and hunting...... Sad

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy P wrote:
...guitars

I hear ya... Welcome to my third muse ----> The Alloy Project Laughing
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0nebadbug wrote:
Andy P wrote:
...guitars

Nice! Very Happy
Here's my current project:
http://www.reverbnation.com/thekickingdinosaurs
I'll flick you a PM and tell you about the gear I use.
GASSing is half the fun right. Wink

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the latest on this car?
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much really...Been trying like mad to finish up the oval first...

We decided to sell or part out our '67 vert so that when the oval is done & moving (which should be in the next few weeks). We are going to focus on the Sebring over this winter...

My son was tinkering yesterday with the seats out of the vert, he sliced off the front seat bottom supports, dropped in the rear convertible seat back without any modifications and they don't fit too shabby... We also found that we'll be able to re-purpose the 67 vert's door latches in the doors as well...

We've also come to a conclusion... That steering wheel's gotta go... Even without seats it is a pain to get around it and when just tooling around the neighborhood it keeps getting stuck on you legs when turning because of the way they have it cut in half, accident waiting to happen. I'm thinking a smaller vintage wood one or maybe even a removable one possibly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: removable steering wheels - Check to be sure that your state is okay with removable steering wheels - most (if not all) states consider them for Off-Road or Show Use Only... not for use on licensed on-highway vehicles.

bnc
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a removable wheel on the buggy and haven't had any hassle from the police, but ya, they are illegal here. Also makes a great theft deterent. nice score on the Judson.

I think I would be temped to just replace the wheel bearings. After the car has sat in one spot for so long there is bound to be either flat spots on the rollers or grooves in the races. It's even worse if they are ball bearings which I'm sure they are.

brad
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I run a removable wheel on the buggy and haven't had any hassle from the police, but ya, they are illegal here. Also makes a great theft deterent. nice score on the Judson.

I think I would be temped to just replace the wheel bearings. After the car has sat in one spot for so long there is bound to be either flat spots on the rollers or grooves in the races. It's even worse if they are ball bearings which I'm sure they are.

brad

Well I do have a ratty batwing and a pair of smaller wheels I can try before anything and see it that even helps.

Once the body is separated (hopefully in the next few weeks, maybe) the entire chassis it is going to be completely stripped, repainted & gone thru. We did swap over some rubber & rims off the '66 a few weekends ago and did a some long laps and other than the whiny split-trans it was quiet as a mouse. Though she wanders a bit at running speeds so we know the link & pin, all the rod ends all need to be gone thru and then all realigned. So far the only thing that has even leaked anything is a few drips of gear oil from the dry rotted axle boots.

Those were one of the things we checked for before even driving it we pulled all the hubs, checked, cleaned & repacked all the bearings and all "looked" decent. And then bled the brakes and actually we think someone had actually rebuilt the entire brake circuit as it has new shoes, slaves & rubber lines all the way around. We also drained the trans as well, flushed with white gas and the refilled and drained twice through a screen and found no suprises falling out with it so I assume other than the rotted boots it may need a few axle seals maybe but won't know until we actually tear it down..

So where we are kinda at now is the head-scratching phase... Trying to set goals for the end-game so to say....

So far the only concrete decisions are:
.....We found we can use the door latches out of our 67 vert parts car and will only have levers to the interior...

.....The front scoop will be omitted...

.....Even though we found the Judson we are not going to reopen the rear hood hole that someone re-glassed very cleanly. And then down the road when the budget allows it we will probably go the WW's Okrasa repro kit and keep it as old school looking as possible & keep everything under the rear hood (going to use the Judson in the Oval instead)

.....All of the foot controls need to updated to hydraulics and relocated. But we need to have their reservoirs away from the assembly and somewhere under the hood for ease of access. And considering you are sitting in the rear seat of the car you are looking at about 4 feet away! So not sure what to actually use to accomplish it. All the ones I see for buggies and rails all have the reservoirs right on top. And I've never messed with hydraulics before so anyone got any ideas of what to actually use or do on that?

And we have tons of Ideas I've just been fiddling with from playing with Photoshop to get ideas of what kinda wheels & tires to run. Would really like to just run the original smoothies on it but looking at Coker & others to run whitewalls is not cheap to say the least... And I have seen those white inserts at a local show here a few weeks again and gawd those look tacky... And while the seats dropped in it and do actually fit not to bad and for temporary will be fine but, I really think it deserves something much better with a bit more thought and should ultimately be a design element that flows in, around & through it to raise the bar...

One thing that has really been on the forefront of my mind is we have a complete convertible top, also off the 67 vert, and the width dimensions of are near perfect for the width of the car and the top front bow also sits on it near perfect as well soooo... I guess I can dream all I like but only time will tel if something like this would even be possible.... Sure would be nice if it worked out right though...

kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0nebadbug wrote:
Andy P wrote:
...guitars

Off topic, but my buddy is selling a 1961 (I believe that was the year) Les Paul of some kind. His dad bought in in 1963. He mentioned it as a prototype of some kind but I have no clue about guitars
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider Wide 5 replica Fuchs wheels...

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll236/jamracing/047.jpg

bnc
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally the weather is breaking a bit, do something, anything ... RIGHT?

My oldest son grabbed the battery today, stuffed it in and she fired right up again, still full pressure at the pedals so nothing leaked all winter! Then he took some time with his small buffer and some different compounds and finally found one that's working quite well... And holy schnikies! She can still shine the way she is and I can imagine how she will be shining in a month from now! We also just started the paperwork so she we be sporting tags very shortly. All we have decide to do to her for this year is now obvious alot of detailing, a quick clean & paint of the engine, a complete grease and we are going to add adjusters to another beam I have and lower her in the front a smidge (not insane, no narrowing) and then drop the rear 1 spline, add some widened smoothies 5.5 front/6.5 rear & soon as those are here new rubber all the way around! And enjoy here for the summer! Still may fiddle some door latches in there sometime this summer though... depends what I can find.

sorry for the crummy pics, will have some better ones soon.

Between this , '57 rag, '66 sedan, '67 vert '05 Jetta & the new '13 vert? We are going to be like our own VW parade going down the street very shortly! Cool
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, VERY sweet.
You did exceptionally well.

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine found another 57 Ladawri Delmar on the YOUNGSTOWN Ohio Craigslist. It is on a triumph chassis and is supposedly #4. Search 1957 Triumph Ladawri He wants 5995$ for it
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: