Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Anchored the early peanuts over the generic marker light bases. Worked out great! Just drilled & tapped right into the old generic marker light bases and voila! Sure looks better than what was there and I didn't have to spend a dime... But will need to order some gaskets for them after the show...

And don't ya know... Went back to Jo Ann fabrics to grab the coarse square-weave black tweed they had a full roll of 2 days ago and someone bought the entire roll! Bummer! ..but the smokin' hot, quite forward, fabric lady holdin' the scissors informed me that it'll back in stock in next week so I'll have to swap dump the Vinyl for the Tweed after the show as well...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Well, she's laying low in the sun, tickling the grass and just lookin' for 36 pairs of cheap sunglasses : )

The faux boot is all in, door panels done & in and it took quite awhile diving underdash for finishing the carpet trims... OMG what a pain! Looks much better inside. But was kind of bummed when I waned to use the black push on screw covers to hide the screws, unfortunately my local Menard's stopped carrying them so I had to order them so for the interim I'm forced to use the ugly silver screw grommets finish rings which when tightened they twist the vinyl (ugly, ugly, ugly) so not much I can do until the right ones come in the mail so I guess it'll do for the parade today and the show next week.

Last year when I was cruising through Galena IL., I stopped in a small junqe store (there's a difference between Junqe & Junk) and found a pair of Chrysler Sebring badges. So, today I'm trying to incorporate one of them into a simple upholstery strip across the passenger side of the dash and some other incorporated dash embellishments as well but I'll have to see what I can pull out of my head as the very simple pieces I'm trying to make are actually quite difficult from the tight dash curves, so I'll see how this goes... And I'd put up some pics of the mechanical innards but really, who wants to see a dirty old 36Hp engine & one step up from the Flintstones brake system... LOL

Managed to find a '56 horn button & trim ring & s parking brake boot also in another parts box of things not seen in a decade and placed them accordingly.

But all of the negatives & body blemishes aside... After 2 days of buffing & polishing? (no wax yet) She really does look pretty spectacular in the sun. But it's odd as when you look at the car by the naked eye, the paint looks just a shade or two off of red more toward orange but when ya grab a camera and snap a few pictures, it's close, but some pics almost show as blood red.

So after the parade today, all that's really left (other than waiting for ordered things) is chasing electrical gremilins... lights all work but brake lights, rear signals & the headlights work one minute and not the next. Shouldn't be too hard to nail down as most bulbs in the car are 6v and now we're running 12v so will be picking up a bunch of new bulbs tomorrow... and need to keep searching in the background for a thin slot 12v Porsche generator...

Looking not to shabby at all in my eye.

Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Applause Love it - great job!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Needed a new creeper anyway...

It's showtime! : )-

0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

First show & she's a hit... : )

Link

0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Hanging out with a newer Vette in an absolutely beautiful drizzly dreary damp October day...

Live & love.

joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Man what a find and what a great looking car.
Very Happy
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Almost showtime again... I love September : )

We've easily driven her 500+ miles this year so far... and will probably click it over another easy 500 shortly. ,,,ahhh 36hp... there is no substitute for simplicity.

...Oh and, so, yeah, we found that white thing earlier this year while aimlessly tooling around in the Ladawri & she should be at the shows shortly as well. : )

0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

It's been a great ride.

Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Get 'er sold, did ya?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Yeppers... She will soon be moving west.

We're going to really miss her, she has such a unique design & just kicking back in and tooling down a smooth highway. But the reality, we were at a point where we just have too many horses in the stable & not enough jockeys. Last year she seemed to sit idle more & more. We could see it would have been driven very little this upcoming driving season & the next.

We all came to the conclusion that it was just time to let one pony go. Very soon she will be making its way to some very capable & reputable west-coast hands. And I can assure that this surviving piece of cultural history that helped jump start an entire cultural craze will absolutely be spotted at some well established west coast shows this summer...

...So, just in case anyone happens to spot it at any west coast shows this summer, please take a pic of it (or with it) and post it up here for so we can see it in the new diggs. As we would love to see where she goes in her new life. : )
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

The final ride... Straight out of storage on a brisk 37° morning. She fires right up and says, the sun is shining, wake me up, lets ride : )

Hard to believe that this was built 60 years ago & has survived against all odds.

Link

Last edited by 0nebadbug on Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Very Happy Boy that belt's loose! And where's the air cleaner??
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Very Happy Boy that belt's loose! And where's the air cleaner??
Well, you have to take air cleaner off to coax it to come out of Stabil, cylinder fog & general winter hibernation comatose. Filters back on now. And yeah, she needs a gen pulley adjustment, didn't have any shims in my pocket.

None the less, she still looks great with just about any wheel set : )

Last edited by 0nebadbug on Sun May 20, 2018 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Au revoir!

Link

BrianDent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Looks like its back on the block

http://www.oldbug.com/ladaw.htm
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Yeah a friend called me when he saw it up for sale a few weeks ago...

Personally, I think the new wheel combo on it seems a bit less graceful than how it looked with us but, to each his own...
millerleft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

I believe I am the proud new owner of the Sebring. Having it shipped from Cali to Florida soon. In an earlier post you mention some docs you received way back in 2013 when you got the car. I`m not getting anything like that from OldBug. Do you still have anything? Thanks.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

millerleft wrote:
I believe I am the proud new owner of the Sebring. Having it shipped from Cali to Florida soon. In an earlier post you mention some docs you received way back in 2013 when you got the car. I`m not getting anything like that from OldBug. Do you still have anything? Thanks.

Congrats...

Yeah, there was a stuffed box sitting on the car seat the way it sat in the warehouse and at first glance it was misc. VW parts on top and a bunch of papers & what-not beneath... but, when we went thru it, the only piece in the box to the car was the Judson oil cap & a bracket (which became wall art for awhile but sold off when we decided not to re open the rear deck lid hole again).

And after, of the legible papers that were piled at the top-most layer in the box turned out to be the PO's notes & misc. receipts pertaining to other vehicles that were in the same warehouse...

I am pretty sure though at the bottom of that box probably did contain more information about the car as there was a tiny section of an early LaDawri brochure we found in it but, at some point in it's 35+ years in hibernation the box had gotten soaked (and quite a bit of bird crap covering everything as well) and as we got down to the paperwork at the bottom of that box everything was fused together...

We did try steaming it with some hope of getting them all apart but the damage to the paper was so bad that, in the end no matter how gently we tried to separate them they just tore into pieces of like wet toilet paper.

So, other than the Judson Oiler & bracket, a tiny fragment of a brochure (or maybe magazine clip, not really sure) and the few pieces we did manage to get apart in larger pieces just kind of turned into illegible crumbly dust when it was dried but there was an old 'Standard Oil' brand Service sticker dated 1959 (which there was no way to connect it to the car) so, our efforts were pretty much fruitless.

Sadly, in the end we finally had to just chuck it all as the smell from the decomposing paper, covered in fungus, mold & bird crap soup grew quite an odor being 90+ degrees outside & 110+ degree stagnant shop temperatures... and as soon as we figured it was the paper stinking it went immediately to the trash...

It kinda smelled like 'Death on two legs'!

We always wanted to do a complete restore but had too much fun driving it the way it was so we just kept going and you can only have so many projects at one time anyway... Do you have any plans on a restoration? or just going to let it live it's life as a driver...
millerleft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Thanks. Any info on who you bought it from? Did he know who the builder was? Trying to find out when it was built,because most people say LaDawri didn`t come out with that body until 1960. Going to leave it alone somewhat,love the history,patina etc..Will probably go with vintage buckets,Pontiac or VW license plate light and some vintage side view mirrors as well. Gonna adapt some storage into the door cards. Can you tell me if it is a 6 volt or 12 volt set up? Still hasn`t been shipped to me,but,I got the title yesterday. Oh yeah,I will fix the doors to open and close,leaving it without exterior handles. Thanks for taking such good care of it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: