Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drum swap to 4 stud beetle drums
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Drum swap to 4 stud beetle drums Reply with quote

Will later 4 stud drums from a Beetle fit my VW Thing? I'd like to lose the wide 5 drums. Thanks in advance.
Hyatt181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Drum swap to 4 stud beetle drums Reply with quote

Not sure on fronts.
I have a set for the rear.
I used bug rear drums when I installed Ghia front brakes on and switched to 4 lug wheels.
If you want the rear drums pay for shipping and they are yours.

I switched to cb performance rear discs.
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Drum swap to 4 stud beetle drums Reply with quote

Hyatt181 wrote:
Not sure on fronts.
I have a set for the rear.
I used bug rear drums when I installed Ghia front brakes on and switched to 4 lug wheels.
If you want the rear drums pay for shipping and they are yours.

I switched to cb performance rear discs.

What did you use for the caliper brackets on your thing spindles using the Ghia calipers & discs? I bought a "Kit" for a Bug (cuz I was building a Bug beam in the beginning... Then I switched to a Thing Beam. So, IDK how well the brackets will work on a Thing spindle. I haven't made it to the point of putting it all together as of yet, I'm adding (or trying to add) Ghia disc brake backing plates in the equation... So, we'll see how all THAT goes! Wink LOL!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Drum swap to 4 stud beetle drums Reply with quote

Beetle drums are a direct swap but you will lose track width in the rear.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Drum swap to 4 stud beetle drums Reply with quote

So, out of curiosity, what is the dimension between the outer faces of the rear brake drums on a stock 181?

Edit...
This is the dimension I am looking for:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by mondshine on Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Drum swap to 4 stud beetle drums Reply with quote

The outer diameter is the same as a beetle drum, the difference is that the drum is wider. The Thing rear brakes use the same shoe as a Beetle but have a thicker center to act as a spacer to widen the rear track width to compensate for the additional width of the Thing front spindles.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: