Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alh93m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

RolandD wrote:
If I understand your question properly, This may help.

When the driver sits on the centerline of the car, the shifter is moved to the outside, and has heim rod ends on tie rods, attached to a radial arm. and the end of the shift rod to transfer the motion from a relocated shift rod to the transaxle.

If you google "single seat buggy shift linkage" you might get some help.
Roland

Thanks a Million, now i'm reading about it with the search tag you gave me ...
So grateful really ..

Have a wonderful day sir ...
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

If I understand your question properly, This may help.

When the driver sits on the centerline of the car, the shifter is moved to the outside, and has heim rod ends on tie rods, attached to a radial arm. and the end of the shift rod to transfer the motion from a relocated shift rod to the transaxle.

If you google "single seat buggy shift linkage" you might get some help.
Roland
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car sand news Reply with quote

hi every one been a while. I sold the vee to a good friend who is going to race it. I was sad to see it go .but I am getting older and cant get into the vee with out being in pain . the sad news is that jerry mong who made the bobsy passed away I will miss him .he was t a good man also my best drag race friend of 47 years passed away not been a great year for me take care every one spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

Albertoprop17 wrote:
I love that formula vee!! Very simple, beautiful. Does somebody has the plans to build a formula vee frame?

I'm from Spain and here formula vee's does not exist. I think the hardest part is to build the fairings...

you might have better luck searching in german:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formel_V

Formel V war beliebt in Deutschland

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

I love that formula vee!! Very simple, beautiful. Does somebody has the plans to build a formula vee frame?

I'm from Spain and here formula vee's does not exist. I think the hardest part is to build the fairings...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ken holley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

Good run David.
You might have discovered a secret formula
with 35 year old tires and Rain.
David Fillman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

I picked up the new (to me) Vanguard and trailer and got it home on Saturday. I pulled the Vanguard off the trailer and put my original Vanguard on to take to the race on Sunday.

It drizzled on and off at the autocross. Last I looked I was 8th out of 29 cars. The Bobsy performed quite well considering it was on the 155SR15 Continental radial street tires that I purchased to race in EMRA's Formula Vee Continental class 35 years ago. Nothing fell off the car but the number 3 exhaust gasket did blow out probably due to age and back pressure from the mufflers required for this event. No biggy just an annoying ticking noise.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ken holley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

Good luck on the shake down. Let us know how it goes.

I have to shoehorn myself into the vanguard. These cars
were very narrow as most drivers were small in the 60's.
David Fillman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

Thanks, I looked all over the front of the Vanguard frame and found nothing. Maybe it is behind the front axle beam.

My Vega's number is 97-118 but I think that was assigned by the SCCA when I had it homologated. I stamped that on the roll bar after I replaced it back in 1983. I had to drill every other rivet out because they considered it a stressed skin chassis. I bought my first Vanguard because I got too fat to fit in the Vega. I tried my triple layer fire suit on yesterday. Yeah.....that ain't happening.....

I hope to autocross the Vanguard on Sunday to shake it down and see what falls off.
ken holley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

hi David,
I could never find a serial #. Some say
it is supposed to be stamped on top of one of
the front end mounts. I found the SCCA
# (10 333) on the upper rt side of the Roll Bar.
ken holley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

Thanks,
should be finishing up this winter.
David Fillman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

Hello Ken,

Do you know where the serial number is stamped on your Bobsy? I am trying to find mine. I have 3 Bobsy log books from 2 different cars but I want to try to figure out what book goes with this frame.

Also I plan to pick up the Bobsy in the Drag race section this weekend.
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

very cool formula V, I really love it! You did a great job, enjoy the car!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David Fillman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

I found it.

Thanks, Dave
ken holley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

David,
No problem. Go to the top of this page and click
on classifieds, then click on drag / race and search
through the ads.

Hope this helps.
David Fillman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

I did not get your PM but it is possible that I don't know where to look for it.

Can you provide a link to the Vanguard in the Drag Race section? I am just learning how to navigate this forum.

Dave
ken holley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

Hi David,
Not sure if you got my PM.
I don't know of anyone with molds or available
tail sections. There is a Bobsy Vanguard with full
body in the Samba Drag racing section.
David Fillman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

I noticed my 1965 Bobsy Vanguard in this thread. I am looking for a tail housing for it. It is the gray one with the yellow wheels. I want to keep it relatively stock and legal for vintage racing. Do you know of anyone who may have a mould or even a spare tail for a Vanguard?

I also own a 1968 Vega that was heavily modified and campaigned in MARRS and PHA hillclimbs form 1983 to 2003. I got too fat to fit in the Vega so I am concentrating on getting the Vanguard functional again.

Dave
ken holley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

Hello Spencer,
I met you at a show near Columbus about 2 yrs ago.
We talked obout our Bobsy's.
Here's a couple of pics of mine as I am finally putting
it together.
Hope you are still having a lot of fun with yours.

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: vanguard vega Reply with quote

vanguard vega only 15 made

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: