Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update here are some pictures of my new friends bobsy number 55 vanguard formula vee as you can see from the pictures he did a way better. Job of restoring his bobsy .than I did He is from holland one super nice guy he sent me all these pictures of his bobsy and info on the bobsy formula vee enjoy spencerfvee ........every one well it's 76 out side I moved my formula vee to a friends he is building me a trailer I allso am going to start the vee motor at his place and drive it here is some pictures befor it went to my friends can't wait to race it at the drag strip I can't believe its about all done it's been a long winter spencerfvee
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[img]
[/img]

Last edited by spencerfvee on Fri May 09, 2014 6:10 pm; edited 8 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas from holland with the vanguard bobsy formula vee .your mail keeps coming back from yahoo can you use samba private message would very much like to talk to you thanks spencerfvee
DWP wrote:
great idea for the breather box. Love the build.
The only thing you might want to change is the red plastic coupler for the steering. I have seen more than one of them split into pieces.
DWP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some pictures of my new friends bobsy formula vee. From holland spencerfvee
Roadcow wrote:
Nice build. Please keep us posted as to your success.

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadcow wrote:
Nice build. Please keep us posted as to your success.
My new friends number 55 bobsy vanguard formula vee he lives in holland one super nice person.

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Bobsy vee Reply with quote

More pictures of my friends bobsy number 55 he's from holland

CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very nice. Back in the early 70's when I was still in my teens with my scca license, I use to race Formula V for a doctor, whose wife wouldn't allow him to race any more. I was very fortunate to even get two rides in a super vee. Amazing cars.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi every one I just finished a 40 hp super charged motor that uses a vintage pepco super charger it was fun can't wait to get it in my bobsy spencerfvee

ronnie.w13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

updates?

'67 Bug Build

OTO X58 wrote:
No. Don't be fooled. I have no clue what's going on in that garage. I just hold things against things and buzz the welder. Sometimes, if they're both made of metal, they stick to each other. But other times, fires are started. Either way is pretty cool.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, but why are you running the external oil cooler over the fan shroud fresh air intake?

bnc
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I wanted the old school look.that they did in the 1960s .yes it's not a good thing to do but it keeps every thing in one place .but for drag raceing it won't hurt a thing .i allso want to hill climb with it . I just put a 40 hp motor into it with dual vanguard intake manifolds . After I get the motor running I have a pepco super charger I want to try .i all so put a new rebuilt trans in that is for short track raceing .take care spencerfvee
didget69 wrote:
Nice work, but why are you running the external oil cooler over the fan shroud fresh air intake?

bnc
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Bobsy update Reply with quote

Hi every one I just got done putting the new motor and a new trans in my vanguard bobsy formula vee the new motor is a 1385 it has big valve heads fully ported scat c25 cam dual vanguard intake manifolds and rare vanguard air cleaners rx header 009 dizy the motor sounds bad ass i can't believe its a 40 hp motor later this summer I will put the pepco super charger on .to see if it's better than the dual vanguard carb set up .the trans was replaced with a new gear box for drag racing I can't wait till summers here .I allso worked on the body because I am not going to race formula vee classes and I want to restore the bobsy like it came from vanguard when it was new . I removed the two bars that went back to the shocks I removed the trans support on the back of the car I allso cutout the two bars on the cock pit and the under the body frame is .i then removed the seat cover because they did not run seat covers .after talking to a friend I meant at a show that worked at vanguard in the 1960s and who told me he talked to jerry mong about 25 days ago jerry still lives in medina ohio .so I hope to talk to Jerry mong soon .he told me that all the bobsy formula vees they built turn key never went out of the shop with the above parts on them .that I just took off .I allso found out that I was reading my frame number wrong boy do I feal dumb .the right frame number is 85 I did find out that it might be the last vanguard vee built that's why he told me my body was differnt from the others .till I show jerry my bobsy I will find out if it is one of the last vanguard vees .from what I under stand they then made the vega a formula vee that was way differnt from mine with a all new frame happy x mass and happy new year to all spencerfvee

CiderGuy wrote:
Very, very nice. Back in the early 70's when I was still in my teens with my scca license, I use to race Formula V for a doctor, whose wife wouldn't allow him to race any more. I was very fortunate to even get two rides in a super vee. Amazing cars.

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

these are new pictures of the first vanguard building and the last vanguard building .the first brick building was in down town medina I remember as a kid going by the building and seeing a bobsy formula vee car in the window that was in 1962 jerry let me look at it but he told me not to mess with it then he had me leave about once a week I would look at the bobsy I told my self I would have one one day . the green building is where jerry made a lot of vees and other cars and his dual carb set up for vw bugs and his shifters and valve covers ans belt guard he sold he all so made vw shifters for jaycc pennies under there name spencerfvee
spencerfvee wrote:
I am restoring a 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee. race car .. this bobsy is one of jerry mongs early built bobsy single seat formula vee race car.

its very rare because it has the gas tank on the right side of the car. it was made out of fiberglass . very dangerest if you got hit by a other race car or a wall lol ..there was not many bobsys built with this gas tank. only a hand full were built .. jerry mong then moved the gas tank inside the frame rails. what also makes this bobsy rare is it has a ladder bar frame.. not many bobsys were made with the ladder bar frame.. the ladder bar frame was to heavy .. jerry mong then made a lighter frame.

I am going to drag race this bobsy.. it cost to much money to to race with the vintage formula vee guys and from what I see on YouTube the formula vee vintage guys smash into each other on the race track lol . I am not into that kind of racing the body on my bobsy can not be replaced, its very rare.

the trans was built by my friend geno at geno's air cooled in PA. geno set it up for drag racing. I built the motor to look like a vintage built 1600cc super vee with a vintage engle cam, nos dds pulley, vintage vertex mag, vintage nos treuhaft fan housing (yes I know the fan housing does not cool a motor well but for drag racing it will do lol).

I took my vintage saur &shone carbs linkage and manifolds of of my mock up saur motor . I just had to use them on this motor because they were used on the first super vee 1600cc class motors in 1969. they later went to the solex p 11 carbs then later on to 40 webers also I have a rare set of vanguard valve covers. I have a RX header for the motor.

we all have are dream cars...when I was 14 I always stopped at jerys vanguard shop in medina and saw his bobsy race cars, from that day on I wanted one. lol I went into the navy got out and looked jerry up. I found out he was selling vanguard shifters, vanguard valve covers and his vanguard dual carb intake manifold kits. I bought his shifter then a set of valve covers and a set of his dual carb kit.

I learned a lot about vw motors from jerry.. at the time I did not know what a impact he had on racing with his two seater bobsys race cars .. I found my vanguard bobsy in wadswerth ohio, a young man had it for 7 years. the young man saved it from the junk yard, he sold it to me because he did not have the money to restore it.. he also wanted to drive it on the street and found out it would be a real job to put it on the street.

from what I can tell this bobsy was raced here in ohio, it never left the state. I have looked for years for a vanguard bobsy . I can't believe it was only 25 mins from my home. so if you are looking that dream car you always wanted never give up...one day you will find it. it only took me 47 years to find my dream car. lol

below is jerry mong in his 1958 sr1 the first car he built, his sign that was outside of his shop and a sr 3 bobsy.

thanks for looking spencerfvee.

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: vanguard vega Reply with quote

vanguard vega only 15 made

ken holley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

Hello Spencer,
I met you at a show near Columbus about 2 yrs ago.
We talked obout our Bobsy's.
Here's a couple of pics of mine as I am finally putting
it together.
Hope you are still having a lot of fun with yours.

David Fillman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

I noticed my 1965 Bobsy Vanguard in this thread. I am looking for a tail housing for it. It is the gray one with the yellow wheels. I want to keep it relatively stock and legal for vintage racing. Do you know of anyone who may have a mould or even a spare tail for a Vanguard?

I also own a 1968 Vega that was heavily modified and campaigned in MARRS and PHA hillclimbs form 1983 to 2003. I got too fat to fit in the Vega so I am concentrating on getting the Vanguard functional again.

Dave
ken holley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

Hi David,
Not sure if you got my PM.
I don't know of anyone with molds or available
tail sections. There is a Bobsy Vanguard with full
body in the Samba Drag racing section.
David Fillman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

I did not get your PM but it is possible that I don't know where to look for it.

Can you provide a link to the Vanguard in the Drag Race section? I am just learning how to navigate this forum.

Dave
ken holley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

David,
No problem. Go to the top of this page and click
on classifieds, then click on drag / race and search
through the ads.

Hope this helps.
David Fillman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

I found it.

Thanks, Dave
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

very cool formula V, I really love it! You did a great job, enjoy the car!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: