Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual Carbs- What Size
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bags Buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Dual Carbs- What Size Reply with quote

I am going to take my progressive carb off. Will my stock 1800 handle a set of 40 mm webers or should I stick with 34 mm . What would be better webers or solex ?
Thanks for all input
Karl
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking the same thing. I want to go with dual carbs for more power- my single progessive has too many flat spots.
My question is- will the added power make up for the pain in the ass of tuning dual carbs? Are they really as complicated as everyone says?
Will I have to piss around with jets to tune them?
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INITIAL tuning is a little more complex, but once it is in the sweet spot, it is usally a matter of "set it and forget it." However, you can fumble around for days trying to trouble shoot duals if you don't know what you are doing. Make sure your linkage is of good quality and properly adjusted, so that full throttle travel is available before starting to play with the screws and jets. ( i learned that frustrating lesson the hard way.) A good quality carb synchrometer is vital, IMO. An 1800 will handle 40s just fine. If you live in a four season climate, it's nice to have carbs with chokes.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
Island Bwoy 420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 40's would be nice but I have heard others talk about needing cam work done to really get the performance out of those carbs. Like most people also do is to go with electronic ignition as well with dual carbs. Thats my 2 cents and that what I have done with my 34's.
Bags Buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:43 am    Post subject: duel carbs HELP !! Reply with quote

I really need to know , are the 40 's to much for my stock motor.Don't want to get into any engine work.
Just want a smoother running bus.
I have switch over to a pertronix along time a go. Thanks for the input.
Karl
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this online:
Quote:
Venturi size refers to the narrowest channel in the carburetor throat. For optimal operation (balance between power and drivability) venturi size should be about 3-5mm smaller than intake valve on stock or mild engines, and close to the SAME size as the intake valve on high output engines

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bags Buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject: Duel Carbs what size Reply with quote

So are you telling me that 40's will or will not work on my stock motor ?
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they will work, carburetors will run anything. What bljones was trying to infer was that if you live in colder climates (like you do), duals with chokes are easier to start and live with during the cold months. Here in FL we have 2 seasons, hot and not so hot- therefore chokes aren't needed, tend to waste gas needlessly. I keep mine spun shut until it drops into the 50's and then spin em back into operating. 40's are fine for your 1800, some tweaking to the idle jets and maybe the mains might be in order, depending on what the carbs were originally set up for.
Bags Buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Dual Carb Help Reply with quote

Thank's Glandnut - I had planned on buying a brand new set of webers for my bus. I don't run it in the winter. It is a restored Westy so it comes out only in the warmer seasons. I guess spring and fall could be hard with out chokes , will have to find out before I spend all that money. Thanks for your help.
Karl
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: