Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint color match
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Paint color match Reply with quote

Hello,

I am having my VW Westfalia painted and I am doing a complete color change. I have prepped/ stripped the bus down in preparation for painting and it is now sitting in a local shop ready to be painted.

It has been difficult for my wife and I to agree upon a color, however, when we were at the Treasure Island Flea market here is the Bay Area a few months back we saw a 1963 VW Bug painted with a Green color that we both instantly agreed upon.

At the time I had been foolish enough to think that a color match could be done based upon a photograph. In hindsight I most definitely should have left a note for the owner of the car asking him or her to contact me with a color code, or shop information where the vehicle had been painted. It was a new paint job and after looking up stock paint colors for that year it does not appear to be an original factory color.

It seems like a long shot here to think that my posting in this forum will result in either the owner of the bug possibly seeing it and responding, or that someone who sees this posting may know the owner of this bug, and or the shop that may have painted it, and I will then end up with the paint code.

I figured it was worth a shot. The license plate says JAT T 63, as can be seen in the photos, and I am assuming that the owner is from somewhere here in the bay area, however I can not be for certain.

Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You..
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Here are photos of the car Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img][/url]

phatdawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this thread.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=542110
-2010 Jetta TDI. White and sips fuel.

The older I get the beter I was!!

http://www.thebugshop.org/gotech.htm
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
phatdawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also look at this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=492535&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
-2010 Jetta TDI. White and sips fuel.

The older I get the beter I was!!

http://www.thebugshop.org/gotech.htm
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. It has set me upon a path to at least learning more about the path others have taken in similar situations.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like the green found on the new (2012-2014) Ford Fusions and Escapes. Think it's called "Ginger Ale"

Subaru also has a similar color on their new models as well.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Potential success!! Reply with quote

Well,

I kept Googling and Googling each and every combination of wording, Bay Area Beetle, San Francisco Bay Area bug/Beetle. I FINALLY found the same bug that I have included photos of into this forum in which I had asked about anyone possibly knowing the owner.

Through persistent Goggling, I found another photo of the same bug, same license plate, JAY T 63, and I now have a potential lead to a shop in Freemont that hosts car shows and events.

Who Hoo!
pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm...reminds me of a refrigerator I had in my apartment in the 70s.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your search doesn't pan out, take a roadtrip to your local auto mall. Check out new cars sitting on the lots under the sun, if you find a color you like, matching it will be a piece of cake, just look up the color codes for 2013 models and take that to your shop.

Good luck.

-jeffrey
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again to all of you who responded.. In the end I settled on a color that I am well pleased with... Now I am putting everything back together...
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the color? Got any pictures?

-jeffrey
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I have so many hundreds and hundreds of photos...

I found my bus on E-bay quite awhile ago now, won the auction, flew to LA and drove it home knowing little to nothing about them, other then having researched what range of year and make I would prefer, and while knowing that they seemed to be very practical and beautiful machines.

Over the course of years I researched and researched and researched, countless hours reading and saving bookmarks into folders on each and every topic and aspect I had planned to tackle as it arose throughout the process. I then stripped it down to bare metal inside and out over the course of time, doorhandles, emblems, dashboard, floor, carpet, all cabinets, including the back AC cabinet.

I knew from the beginning that the only way that I would ever be able to put it all back into its place was to systematically and religiously document each step through photos, in their own related folder, as they pertain to each separate process. Then label each nut, bolt and bracket in a separate ziplock bag....

It has been quite a process, and now that its back from being painted, the reverse, with all of the customization and modifications, has been equally fascinating and it continues daily. I am in a unique position as of now, until my Masters program begins, to have my weekdays free to work like a madman on this project. Reading pages and pages of Samba and other such forums as I learn more throughout this process.

-Insulation alternatives to the original R-13 in the walls
-seam sealer issues
-The original panel paper on the door and window jams
In the end I did away with that, after once attempting to use the old as a pattern and replace it with leather. It turned out Ok but as I am going with an overall retro theme to my build I went with simply having the inner wall painted to match the outside of the wall, doing away with any panel paper all together.
-Rust issues
-Engine modifications
-Front Ac

In prep for painting, I was able to get the back AC cabinet and the back closet removed without disconnecting any of the AC related equipment, hoses etc. I was confused on this at first because everything that I read said that it could not be done. I then built a box out of plywood to protect the ac unit during the sanding and painting process.

- The best bumper alternatives, in the end I ended up with somewhat of a custom job for this dilemma...

Anyway, as I am sure others can relate, It is endless, and admittedly a bit of madness, at this point...

I often spend 8 hour days, or more, working to see this to a realistically time-framed completion.

Anyway..

In the end I settled on a Green, non-original to this bus. The color looks as a similar to a green leaf when the sun light hits it and goes though and behind it, and when the paint is in the shade it looks to me as though it is a leaf, in the evening shade. It lightens and darkens, emulating and following the shifting and the mood of the light of the day.

I am diggin it, for certain.

I keep thinking to post some photos, I just don't know where to begin with that. Eventually........
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I just remembered that this is not a Bus/ Westfalia forum ...
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

velvet green if split bus.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: