Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

-AN fittings
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: -AN fittings Reply with quote

Did a search for -AN fittings and nothing came up...this may be a dumb question, but id rather do it right the first time.

When connecting a male to female AN fitting do you need sealant?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Islandman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 no you do not. It's the tapered flare that creates the seal, not the threads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you...just wanted to be sure before I took a chance of oil flying everywhere
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old school people swear by putting some sort of lube on the flare part before tightening. Edit:I believe it helps the flare center its self. I always put something on every thread and use Teflon tape on something like that.
jhoefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
Old school people swear by putting some sort of lube on the flare part before tightening. Edit:I believe it helps the flare center its self. I always put something on every thread and use Teflon tape on something like that.

Putting some lube on the shoulder of the nut can help prevent the tube or hose from twisting as you tighten the the fitting. Lube on the flare should be unnecessary.

Using teflon tape on the threads of an AN fitting is a bad idea. First, the threads are not a sealing surface in an AN fitting, a loose fitting will still leak even if the threads are perfectly sealed. Second, as the teflon tape squeezes out of the threads over time, the fitting can loosen and start to leak.
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhoefer wrote:
theKbStockpiler wrote:

Putting some lube on the shoulder of the nut can help prevent the tube or hose from twisting as you tighten the the fitting. Lube on the flare should be unnecessary.

Using teflon tape on the threads of an AN fitting is a bad idea. First, the threads are not a sealing surface in an AN fitting, a loose fitting will still leak even if the threads are perfectly sealed. Second, as the teflon tape squeezes out of the threads over time, the fitting can loosen and start to leak.

I second the above. To add to that Teflon tape can be detrimental to some systems and applications should it get inside the line during assembly.
A small amount of lube on the threads, snug it up and you're good to go.
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lubricant on the threads vs. dry threads is the difference between wet and dry torque. The friction coefficient on the threads will require different torque settings at the nut. AN fittings don't require much torque at all. If you lube them, you'll need even less. If using Aluminum fittings, beware that the cone seat will flare out and cause a tight spinning nut if over tightened. It won't leak necessarily, but it will be a bastard to install and remove down the road.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a small dab of Loctite 567 pipe dope...
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/LOCTITE-Pipe-Sealant-5A236?Pid=search
Just I'm not screwing the fitting in dry. [don't buy it at Grainger's, it way to expensive.]

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread sealant is pointless.

lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captain flathead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lube on threads will sometimes cause an over tightened situation with with a low torque value. Put never seize on a wheel stud and torque to 100 ft lb and see what happens. The right lube could cause the fastener to fail at low torque values.
captain flathead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind, Hotrodvw already said it.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in aerospace and we use Earl's brand AN fittings for our R&D. We use some kind of oil on the flare and oil on the threads as well if it's steel on aluminum. Over time in the field, we've found that the two fittings will seize together from corrosion if they're steel on metal.

We use compressor oil because we deal with A/C systems mostly.
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, their designed to be a metal to metal seat.

Aluminum on aluminum, I can see the corrosion.

lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually rust I believe that was seizing our dissimilar metal fittings and not aluminum corrosion. Our steel flares are zinc plated. I hear that Stainless on aluminum is even worse if corrosion builds up.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've asked this question before and never gotten an answer, but I'll try here. What is the correct torque for aluminum AN fittings? Nobody I've ever asked knows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cobb wrote:
I've asked this question before and never gotten an answer, but I'll try here. What is the correct torque for aluminum AN fittings? Nobody I've ever asked knows.

These are the maximum torque values in ft lbs with lightly oiled threads and flare surface. Regardless of the oil or not to oil comments above oiling the threads and flare surface prevents distortion while tightening. Again these are the maximum values.
-3 =8.75ft lbs.
-4 =11.5
-6 =16.5
-8 =29
-10=35
-12=45
-16=70
Islandman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best places to search are aviation maintenance websites. From my A&P books for the most common aluminum sizes we use:

-4 40 to 60 in lbs
-6 75 to 125 in lbs
-8 150 to 250 in lbs

The old school trick for any AN fitting is to snug it, back it off, snug it again, then tighten an additional flat. This usually seats the flare and gets you within torque range. (For the record, if its a flight critical line, I go get a torque wrench Very Happy )
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: