Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Money Machine
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeekiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Money Machine Reply with quote

Well I guess the rumors are true that these vans are more expensive than a Ferrari. I've kinda always known it just from being an owner. But my head gasket blew. My mechanic said it failed the head gasket test? .. Also, when you turn my van on the temp gauge immediately goes all the way to maximum hot.

Anyways, Im having a hard time finding the next logical step. from my understanding these are my options as I don't have a garage and only basic tools and basic car knowledge.

1. Rocky mountain westy 2.2 conversion $12,000..3 year warranty
2. Replace heads $2,000 but im just putting new parts on an old engine and who knows how long that will last again.
3. Replace with Remanu motor from Bus depot $4,500 no warranty
4. buy a high milage subaru motor and have my mechanic install. prob around $7,000
5. Try to sell the van with blown heads, who knows how long that would take. and im moving at the end of this month.

I paid $6,000 for the van. and I love my van. but this is starting to get ridiculous. Am I missing any options. What would you do? This has been sad and frustrating.

Welcoming any comments!!
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can wait awhile...
http://vanistan.com/Vanistan/home_.html

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: new engine Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...light=cent X-2 Only one state over. In New Mexico. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.

Last edited by joseph928 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Money Machine Reply with quote

zeekiel wrote:
Well I guess the rumors are true that these vans are more expensive than a Ferrari.

Not quite.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zeekiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
If you can wait awhile...
http://vanistan.com/Vanistan/home_.html

Im leaving colorado at the end of this month and I believe he has about a month wait on his rebuild, although it is very nice it is still around 4k just for the motor (without his exhaust package?) which is about the same price as just about any "new" remanu motor. the only money I would be saving would be the conversion kit and extra labor for the wiring harness? correct me if Im wrong PLEASE!

Glenn, I was clearly exaggerating about being the cost of a Ferrari but its pretty expensive.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do item 4. If you can get a quality job for $7k it is a good deal.

I was a dyed in the wool keep it stock person and it took me years to decide, buT I am a happy camper for almost 3 years now. My EJ22 had I think about 145K on it. Night and day. The trick is to do it right with the right parts from a person who knows the tricks. I love my van. I am sitting in it at a venue using my iPad to send this message. It is brainless ownership. Toot toot for number 4.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeekiel wrote:

Im leaving colorado at the end of this month and I believe he has about a month wait on his rebuild, although it is very nice it is still around 4k just for the motor (without his exhaust package?) which is about the same price as just about any "new" remanu motor. the only money I would be saving would be the conversion kit and extra labor for the wiring harness? correct me if Im wrong PLEASE!

You are getting a performance version of the original motor. More power, improved components, hand-built with warranty. Much more bang for the buck than a typical remanu motor.
You're right, the price doesn't include the exhaust. I have the exhaust he designed and has made a significant power improvement on its own.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Money Machine Reply with quote

zeekiel wrote:
Well I guess the rumors are true that these vans are more expensive than a Ferrari. I've kinda always known it just from being an owner. But my head gasket blew. My mechanic said it failed the head gasket test? .. Also, when you turn my van on the temp gauge immediately goes all the way to maximum hot.

Welcoming any comments!!

If by "immediately" you mean less than 15 seconds, that has nothing to do with head gaskets. I'd be wanting to be sure that it's really head gaskets before making a big money decision.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
alnvilma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I don't have a garage and only basic tools....."
My boat exactly but I just did a Bostig conversion. Took me about 6 weeks on & off.
There is a 1st version kit offered in the classifieds for $1500. Add another $1500+ for an engine and parts and your're on the road w/o the Wasserleaker.
It wouldn't be as beautiful as the new version but serve the purpose. You could always upgrade the mounting system down the road.
I've got >$10k in a tin-top but who's counting? Nothing else out there as versatile for that $
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pity those poor souls who lack a garage, lack tools and lack any mechanical skills to use tools.

Their only practical skill is the ability to write huge checks! Hopefully they also have the skills that earn them huge paychecks as well!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking that any old rebuild will compare to a Vanistan rebuild is nuts Exclamation

Bostig offers a great Kit.

Not having tools, a shop, worrying about the cost and needing it done in less than 30 days leaves very few options other than finding a used waterboxer from a conversion and hanger it swapped in.
zeekiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Thinking that any old rebuild will compare to a Vanistan rebuild is nuts Exclamation

Im refering to a non WBX motor rebuild. like subaru
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What head gasket test? As stated above, the coolant temp gauge pegging with the key on is an electrical problem not an indication the engine is overheating. I'd get a second opinion.

You can get away with spending little money on your vanagon if all you do is run down to the store with it. If you want to travel reliably, prepare to get your wallet out. This would be true of any 30 year old vehicle including a Ferrari. You can buy a vanagon cheap, but it won't be cheap to keep.
zeekiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
What head gasket test? As stated above, the coolant temp gauge pegging with the key on is an electrical problem not an indication the engine is overheating. I'd get a second opinion.

You can get away with spending little money on your vanagon if all you do is run down to the store with it. If you want to travel reliably, prepare to get your wallet out. This would be true of any 30 year old vehicle including a Ferrari. You can buy a vanagon cheap, but it won't be cheap to keep.

The van will start and it seems to be running fine? but it will very quickly overheat. Ill have to talk to my mechanic some more, he's not pressuring me to do anything.

But what had happended was I was driving it back from a 1,000+ mile trip and it would overheat then go back down within seconds.. and it did that maybe 10x on the trip on the way home and then recently it got to a point where it will overheat immiedatly and will not go down. took it to a mechanic and he said one of the heads is blown?
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Their only practical skill is the ability to write huge checks! Hopefully they also have the skills that earn them huge paychecks as well!

Sorry to thread drift but I'm getting pretty darn tired of reading these sorts of comments. I'm hardly a 1-percenter but it does in fact take a bit of money to own a garage and tools let alone a "toy" vehicle.

If my only "practical skill" is the ability to write huge checks I'm f-ing happy with that. Try feeding your family and paying a mortgage using whatever "practical skills" you employ to keep your van running. There are a sparse few on this board that can make that claim and at least one of them appears to question whether that is worth continuing.

I enjoy working on my van. I've replaced the fuel tank/lines, coolant system, propane tank, and countless little things. But you know what else I enjoy? Biking, hiking, skiing, snowboarding, fishing, playing music, enjoying a glass of wine, visiting friends, etc etc etc. When the time needed to fix something on my van is going to cut too deeply into the rest of my life it's off to the shop where they can fix the problem while I do other things. Six weeks of my time to do an engine conversion? I simply have no desire to do that - I'm glad my "practical skills" allow me to pay someone else to.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dylan suggested, don't forget option #6:

Swap for a used WBX from someone else's conversion.

Cheap, (relatively) easy and you're back on the road...(for now)... Wink

PS: Please tell us more about this so-called "head gasket test"...???

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I pity those poor souls who lack a garage, lack tools and lack any mechanical skills to use tools.

Dave

We don't want your pity. Just your garage space!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

zeekiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Like Dylan suggested, don't forget option #6:

Swap for a used WBX from someone else's conversion.

Cheap, (relatively) easy and you're back on the road...(for now)... Wink

PS: Please tell us more about this so-called "head gasket test"...???

I'm going to call my mechanic again today and get more details.. thank you for all the input.. I guess I need to somehow figure out the route i want to take.

and I do a fair amount of my own work unless I feel that I cannot. I did all my own fuel lines, spark plugs, distributor, fuel pump and other minor stuff..but I don't feel comfortable doing a swap.

This whole situation just breaks my heart.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the mechanic did a warm leakdown test...than that will establish how bad off the headgaskets are.

The temp gauge and associated wiring and sensor are not to be trusted Exclamation
If it spikes from cold start within seconds, I would be carefully looking into that first.

FYI, a rebuilt 2.2 Subaru motor could very well be on its third rebuild at this point in time and that motor only offers minimal gains of performance and reliability in the "rebuilt" arena.

As Jon posted...if you have a burning desire for a 2.2, go and buy a complete running van already converted and save the hassle and expense of building your van.
Sell it as a fixer upper to offset the cost.

I don't see the time element working in your favor when thinking conversion.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeekiel wrote:
This whole situation just breaks my heart.

Sorry to hear that, but these are machines...they break, you fix.

Your turn today - I may be next.

Git 'r done. Good luck.

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: