Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fridge Elimination and standalone fridge OR Truckfridge?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

built in refer OR stand alone refer
Built in Refer (i.e. Truckfridge or equivalent)
54%
 54%  [ 31 ]
Standalone Refer (i.e. Engle, Edgestar, or equivalent)
45%
 45%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 57

madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
furrylittleotter wrote:

I really appreciate the followups, and as I suspected, the one guy with a HUGE solar panel can run indefinitely, the others are limited but can still extend battery life.
Neil2

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have the 62qt Edgestar and a 100W solar panel, MPPT controller, and 115AH deep cycle house battery. On our maiden voyage with this combination last spring we went for a week off the grid and still had a full battery after a week.

Thanks. Yes, as I mentioned before, that is what I would expect with this setup with plenty of sun.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
nocreditnodebt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Vitrifrigo c51is, very similar to the TF-49, same compressor same box.

I have added insulation, and maximized airflow through condenser and across compressor, my unit runs well less than a 30% duty cycle in upto 85 degrees ambient.

Number 1, I can keep my interior from raising much above ambient.
Number 2, the Danfoss bd35f compressor can handle upto an 8 cubic foot fridge. It is just coasting along powering a 1.8 cubic foot fridge.

Those claiming very high battery consumption or not being able to run indefinitely with 65+ watts of solar likely have an inefficiency bottleneck somewhere, most likely in the form of recycling preheated air through the condenser.

The single best way to increase efficiency is to have the fan pull the coolest possible ambient air across the condenser, once. Not just have a few restrictive passive vents in the compressor compartment for the heat to make its own way out. The better the heat can be removed from the condenser, the lower the battery consumption, the better the fridge performance, and the longer the life of the unit.

My battery monitor says My fridge uses well less than 24 amp hours per 24 hours. It really depends on what I am asking it to remove heat from or keep the heat removed from. Installing a gallon of warm tomato juice and a 12 pack of warm beer makes the duty cycle skyrocket for several hours before tapering back toward 25%, and the heat coming out my exhaust vent behind the compressor is much much hotter than when everything inside the fridge has already been brought to sub 35f temps.

My 200 watts of solar have no issues what so ever returning what my fridge consumes. I could likely run 3 similar fridges in my environment before the solar could not keep up.

My batteries are now at 40% of their original capacity. Still no worries.

My previous fridge was a Norcold. the SawaFuji compressor was a Buzzsaw. It was not as efficient as this Danfoss powered Vitrifrigo which is nearly silent in comparison

Danfoss compressors can handle up to 0.5 amps of computer fans that turn on when the compressor does and dopuble that for 1 second on start up. Adding another low draw, low noise, low cfm computer fan to exhaust the compressor compartment will increase performance, reduce battery consumption and extend compressor life. The amount of tech which goes into some of these computer fans is impressive.

Google Noctua Nf-f12

You salvaged computer fans might be economical, but low tech noisy and consume more electricity for less air moved.

Can you get away without doing so? Of course. Most do. To my mind having small passive vents behind the fridge is akin to blocking 75% of one's radiator with cardboard and wondering why the engine is running hot
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nocreditnodebt wrote:
the Danfoss bd35f compressor can handle upto an 8 cubic foot fridge. It is just coasting along powering a 1.8 cubic foot fridge.

Google Noctua Nf-f12

You salvaged computer fans might be economical, but low tech noisy and consume more electricity for less air moved.

Can you get away without doing so? Of course. Most do. To my mind having small passive vents behind the fridge is akin to blocking 75% of one's radiator with cardboard and wondering why the engine is running hot

Very interesting upgrade on your fridge! I did google the fans and found a test that said they are extremely quiet but double the price of other fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi46_1BnPPw

I see you are quite knowledgable and seem to be a fan of the Danfoss compressor. That was a big factor for me as well. I had friends that worked at their place outside of Atlanta, and coincidentally, my GF is from the same town as Danfoss, (Nordborg, Danmark)

Great company, great product.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: TF-49 Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Yes I did put more insulation on the TF-49. Also took a stock Westy fridge vent and put the pipe over the compressor with a new low power computer fan. Now my duty cycle is down to 30% of the time from almost 50%. And the TF-49 can go 3 weeks with out turning the engine on. That is the most time I have pushed it. Now I'm down to a little less then 24 amps per day. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
Great that you have so much passion on the topic, Kamz, sorry that you find my desire for actual useful data annoying in any way. Feel free to ignore my posts if you find them disconcerting in the future.

I only take issue with your dismissive attitude towards my supplying manufacturer data that others may find helpful. If it wasn't useful to you, fine; but don't outright dismiss it all as being completely useless to everyone else, many of who don't care about the little details, like how much cooling is lost when the door is opened.

But, you know what, you're right; providing all that data was a complete waste of my time. Please forget I ever posted all that junk. Everyone interested in a new fridge: Don't worry about needing to conduct basic 5th-grade math, or doing any of your own research, including contacting manufacturers, to determine your own needs that will fit your budget. Instead, just copy someone else's entire existing, well-working system described here on The Samba... they've completed all the groundwork for you. Done and done.

furrylittleotter wrote:
I really appreciate the followups, and as I suspected, the one guy with a HUGE solar panel can run indefinitely, the others are limited but can still extend battery life.

Extending battery life is not the only reason for charging (no matter the method) your aux battery: You need to maintain its capacity too.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

FWIW, I did some research on these things:

ARB 50qt.: 0.7 - 2.3 amps (1.35 amps avg. w/ 90°F ambient temp) on 12v

EdgeStar 43qt.: up to 5.4 amps on 12v
EdgeStar 63qt.: up to 5.5 amps on 12v

Engel MT35 & MT45: 0.7 - 2.5 amps on 12v

TF49: 2 amps average on 12v

Warrantee policies:

ARB = 3 years

Edgestar = 1 year

Engel = 2 years

TruckFridge = 1 year
LandSailor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting that the poll is so evenly divided.

One big advantage to the removable units is that they are, in fact, removable. That ~$500 investment can be used in the house during Thanksgiving, if your refrigerator goes out, or just to get ice cream home from the store in the summer in Las Vegas. That's the biggest advantage in my book: You're not putting half a grand into something that will only be used in the Westy.

The other is that they operate on the "all of your cold doesn't fall out every time you open the door". Just look at all the frozen products in horizontal open freezers at the grocery store.

We've only made one trip so far in the Westy and we used an ice chest behind the passenger seat. It was useful as a footrest and for getting into the top bunk.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:

Warrantee policies:

TruckFridge = 1 year

Incorrect - it is actually two years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
ThankYouJerry wrote:

Warrantee policies:

TruckFridge = 1 year

Incorrect (unless TruckFridge's website isn't up to date) - it's actually 1 year (at least for ALL portable fridges). Here's the link to their site and a portable fridge that says "1 year" (same for all other portable models): http://www.truckfridge.com/tf41.html
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
westyventures wrote:
ThankYouJerry wrote:

Warrantee policies:

TruckFridge = 1 year

Incorrect (unless TruckFridge's website isn't up to date) - it's actually 1 year (at least for ALL portable fridges). Here's the link to their site and a portable fridge that says "1 year" (same for all other portable models): http://www.truckfridge.com/tf41.html

Well, you didn't specify portables. Wink
From their site:
"2 year warranty on most Front Opening models
1 year warranty on most Portable models"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
ThankYouJerry wrote:
westyventures wrote:
ThankYouJerry wrote:

Warrantee policies:

TruckFridge = 1 year

Well, you didn't specify portables. Wink

From their site:
"2 year warranty on most Front Opening models
1 year warranty on most Portable models"

True… but the vast majority of discussion in this thread has been about portables… even though it didn't start out about portables Wink.

Also, if you'll please note, in my first post in this thread... I quoted Kamzcab86… all portable fridges.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . . .meanwhile, back on the subject . . .

I have an Edgestar FP43. I use my Westy as a daily driver and I don't need the extra weight rolling around town. When I go camping, I put it out next to the van, so not in the way. Now I'm working on installing a Marinco 12v socket on the outside of the van.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
Now I'm working on installing a Marinco 12v socket on the outside of the van.

This is a good spot for one, not seen when not in use.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
. . . .meanwhile, back on the subject . . .

I have an Edgestar FP43. I use my Westy as a daily driver and I don't need the extra weight rolling around town. When I go camping, I put it out next to the van, so not in the way. Now I'm working on installing a Marinco 12v socket on the outside of the van.

Yep, I use mine the same way. I find that a cord can go thru the sliding door gasket just fine so I did not put a 12V outlet on the outside, just made a longer cord... Very Happy I also use a thin wire bike lock to attach the fridge to the rear jack point to make it less easy for someone to walk away with it.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
ChilliConCarnage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to this discussion, here's our setup:

Vitrifrigo (Italian made version of TF49)
120ah batteries
140 watt solar
Longest time camping in one spot: 5 days
Longest time fridge was left on accidentally: 6 days
Wife approval factor: loves having built-in as opposed to portable since there's already so little space.

Based on nocreditnodoubt's recommendations, I replaced the compressor fan. It is now both quieter and more efficient.

I love our setup. Could highly recommend to anybody.
03 Passat V6 4Motion

Sold:
62 T2 Double Door panel
72 T2 7-passenger
98 Jetta
97 Passat VR6
87 Audi 5000
gl98115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LandSailor wrote:

The other is that they operate on the "all of your cold doesn't fall out every time you open the door".

This is a bit of a myth. The energy required to cool a fridge full of room temp air is trivial compared to the energy required to cool one room temp beer.
nocreditnodebt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chest style fridges are generally more efficient not because the cold air spills out. The door opening itself will exchange most of the air inside anyway, top or front door.

It is the fact that chest style fridges have their door seals on top, and that gravity helps compress the seals where as front loading the coldest air has just a thin door seal keeping the hot air out. Since the lock is on top. One can stuff their fridge, and barely get the door closed. It will latch at the top, but flex a bit at the bottom, leaving a small gap.

I think Waeco makes a DC front loader that has locking mechanisms both top and bottom.

I've considered adding some more foam around the seals. Condensation forms on adjacent exterior metal in humid weather showing it could benefit from increased insulation.

But honestly I have no fears about the fridge consuming too much battery.

It is this dang laptop which uses up my solar excess. and shutting it off 30 minutes earlier could save the electricity that improved insulation around my door could improve if installed.
BetaVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dobryan, that venting trick is slick. Do you have a post on that? Would love to hear a bit more about it.

Love my TF-49. It was super easy to install (with all the Samba help of course). It's quiet, way more efficient, and has plenty of storage for my needs.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another option… 30L, 40L and 50L size. This one may have the best warrantee I've seen… 5yrs/compressor and 3 yrs/components. Low draw "0.7 Ah/h". 40L weighs in at only 37 lbs. Van Cafe advertises the 50L (but are currently out of stock):

http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/fridge.html

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1755_125/ice...by_ir.html
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Yet another option… 30L, 40L and 50L size. This one may have the best warrantee I've seen… 5yrs/compressor and 3 yrs/components. Low draw "0.7 Ah/h". 40L weighs in at only 37 lbs. Van Cafe advertises the 50L (but are currently out of stock):

http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/fridge.html

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1755_125/ice...by_ir.html

FWIW, these are relabeled Indel portables - exactly the same as the Truckfridge portables except you pay more for a longer warranty. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: