Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'89 wasserboxer, oil accumulation in valve cover? Leaking!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ourv12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: '89 wasserboxer, oil accumulation in valve cover? Leaking! Reply with quote

Does oil accumulate inside the valve covers while engine is running? Or does it drain back into the engine immediately? I'm having oil leaks from the valve cover even after replacing them. But I'm also wondering if its the gaskets that I used that are no good. I used Felpro gaskets which are not cork. Do the original cork gaskets seal better?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FelPro are excellent gaskets, I use them on most motors I have.
I do run a bead of 518 around both mating surfaces the first time they go in.
ourv12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
FelPro are excellent gaskets, I use them on most motors I have.
I do run a bead of 518 around both mating surfaces the first time they go in.
Hmmm, I guess I should have used sealer on them. Funny how I've never used sealer on the cork gaskets before when ever I replaced them in the past 20+ yrs on several of our vanagons and they never leaked oil. I'm just wondering if the Felpro gaskets don't seal well without sealer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use sealant on all gaskets.
I toss cork in the trash, that's me.
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Felpro gaskets are junk, holmes!!! Too small in every dimension!! (Same gasket as Type 1 Beetle FWIW)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538754&highlight=felpro
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ourv12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Those Felpro gaskets are junk, holmes!!! Too small in every dimension!! (Same gasket as Type 1 Beetle FWIW)

Well I ordered cork(Victor Reinz) gaskets and will install them tomorrow. If the leaks stop then its proof that Felpro gaskets are to small and dont seal.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought new OEM bales and cork gaskets from AirCooled.net and could not be happier. Took the van on a very demanding 1,600+ mile trip and no leaks at all. (note, same at Beetle / type 1)

I used some Permatex tack n'seal on the valve cover side on the driver's side and just oiled the gasket for the passenger side so I can compare the results over time just for the fun of it. Laughing
Reportedly, not all cork gaskets are a good fit - the ones that AirCooled sells certainly are.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
ourv12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ourv12 wrote:
Ian wrote:

Well I ordered cork(Victor Reinz) gaskets and will install them tomorrow. If the leaks stop then its proof that Felpro gaskets are to small and dont seal.
My new (Victor Reinz) cork valve cover gaskets fixed the oil leaking issue!!! I'm keeping a spare set of the cork style since the local parts shops only carry the Fel Pro brand.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: