Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cold van + hot ambient temps = hard starting?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Cold van + hot ambient temps = hard starting? Reply with quote

I've had this issue for a couple years now. So far it doesn't happen enough to get me worried but I am curious.

After my van sits in the hot garage or hot sun (mid-90 degrees or so) for a while and is being started for the first time, the engine fires but then it holds a very weak idle unless I give it some gas. It will even stall soon after if I have it in gear but don't press the gas (like when going down a hill).

Once the engine is up to temp or even just after being driven for a few minutes it will start up just fine afterwards. If the weather is cooler, no problem at all.

I know my throttle body has a bit of an air leak around the axis/pivot of the butterfly valve. Could that be the issue?

Thanks.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...cold engine and warm temps gives a good start, but poor idle until warmed up?
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I'd call it a good start but you're correct.

Usually when this happens the starter will crank for longer than normal before the engine will run on its own - and when the engine does start to run the idle will be very low (couple hundred rpm probably) and it may stall unless I give it gas.

When the issue is not occuring my van fires right up with no problems and will idle at about 900-1000 rpm. When it's cold out the idle will slowly creep upward but I'm pretty sure that's the TB air leak based on the idle going back to normal if I wiggle the accelorator linkage at the TB.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump. Never start a thread on a Friday afternoon.
Vinzanto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know everyone recommends this for just about any problem, but I would suggest a new Temp II sensor. I recently battled issues where the engine would require several turns of the starter to get her going and when it did fire up the RPMs were very low; appx 200 rpms, just berely rumbling and grumbling. If I hit the gas it would die, if I hit the brake it would die but if I let it idle the rpms would slowly rise to ~950. I troubleshooted in many different areas before switching the Temp II and sure enough that was the culprit.
syncroluvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get this fixed and if so what did you do? Mine wont start after having run for a while and I have to hold the pedal down and crank till it fires. on one cylinder at a time. All I want is ONE summer out of 5 where this BI#@h doesnt give me grief! Mad

Y2K V6 Passat

Calcandi Leviter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: