Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Priced out of the market?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
while those type bays may seem a bargain - sitting on dirt and weeds will definitely cause rust, and overall they are there because they died. The cost to bring one of those back to life these days can exceed $20,000. If there is enough moisture for those weeds to grow there is enough moisture for rust. Also, lots of cars like that have already been stripped of their engines, and the cost to acquire and rebuild a motor these days, especially type 4 can be outrageous. That is why there are so many Subaru build threads. Not saying don't have a dream, just saying sharpen your pencil before jumping in on a bay like that. This isn't 2005 or even 2010.

John was very particular. If it was complete - it stayed complete. Very few were parted.

Where do you think I got this beauty.

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

add up every penny you put into it, figure in the trip to go get it, figure in your time, adjust for inflation, and how much do you have in it?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
add up every penny you put into it, figure in the trip to go get it, figure in your time, adjust for inflation, and how much do you have in it?

Rolling Eyes

Dude - you are right, OK? You win. Ive seen it and in 2009 3/4 of it was scrap - when those pics were taken. Search Texas Gold in the gallery under my name for all the pics. Plenty of death pics that support your gloom.

BUT. THere are two warehouse shops that house all kinds of NOS and good used stuff. He has enough engine cases to start a bonfire able to bee seen from space. Need 25hp stuff? He had some of it - nos. Roller cranks, empi shit, tools - it goes on and on. The yard is what people see, not the back of the house.

Ive been told just now half this is cleared out. Crying or Very sad

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

Never said it wasn't a good source for parts Smile . Your cars are very nice, and I would guess you have a small fortune in them. Kudos to you.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

looking back at this thread - if people feel priced out because you think shipping from coast to coast is expensive, you are in the wrong hobby.

Would you give up your cable TV bill for a year to bring your Bus home?

Asked and answered.
melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

melville wrote:
Not priced out of it, but after 25+ years my acquisitional instincts need a re-think. We're down to six VWs presently, and may be down to four someday.

One of the reasons I got into VWs was the OEM support of old stuff, but now that Mexico and Brazil are out of AC production VW is going to let us wither on the vine. I'm in a spot to do maybe one more T1 motor and one more T4 motor for the projects we have remaining (and a 36 horse) and then I'm moving on (well, I've started already) to other German air-cooled stuff that still has OEM support, with half the number of cylinders and wheels.

Thread revival! I'm down to two VWs, neither of them Bays (see sig). Muriel is down to her 1960 Euro Sunroof Beetle. I may do the 36er for her Beetle. I'm down to building 1 1/2 T1 motors for the Oval and the Splitty and calling it done with major mechanical VW work.

Yes, you should be able to budget cross country shipping if you want to play in this market. The two Bays I sold in the last couple years went to Europe. Those guys had no problem budgeting sending a container through the Panama canal to the UK or the Netherlands.

Selling the Bays was an interesting experience. Locally, I had two types looking at the vehicles. One set was old VW people, who had no problem driving 40 year old stuff around, but were hesitant on price. "I useta get stuff like that for $500!" The other set had no problem with five figure prices but weren't sure about driving 40 year old stuff around. They got downright skittish when I'd say, "Yep. VW--turning ordinary people into mechanics since 1938."

I think we know which folks are posting here on TS!
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

from a 2017 google satellite view, looks like the Bays are still there
https://goo.gl/maps/bK8kiALPUmp
but for how much longer?
now Auto Exchange at 8597 W Farm to Market Rd 78, Converse, TX 78109 (210) 666-2923

I spoke to those folks there. He said that back lot has been closed for a while and that everything is still there but no one to sell it.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

Looking back over this thread has been interesting. I especially liked that it covers a couple of years, since this is a moving target and seeing it developed is interesting.

I have gone through this once already. I have an old 60's Musclecar, purchased in my misspent youth. It is a 1970 AMC Javelin SST 390 4 speed car and it has all of the original components still with it. Engine, interior, trans, etc. Even the old ram air stuff is in place. I had people back in the day telling me to use it as a parts car for an AMX all the time! Now it is a 25k+ car. Nowadays no one is telling anyone to scrap a correct original big block musclecar!

It is funny, I think AMC in particular is a good example because they are also a brand that started out as the "affordable" alternative. Now that they have become a bit more rare and of interest in the collector world, the old school guys that used to buy parts for $25 are shocked silly that they are being asked to pay $200. Don't ask what the chrome 390 valve covers that were given to me free from a friends scrap heap go for these days. The $25 I paid for a set of rally pack gauges is not happening now for less than $600 bucks.

In the case of my ACVW interests, I have had 4 bays, all 1970 models. My first one cost me $400, the next $600 and the third(a nearly rust free Westy) was about $5k. I thought that was pricey in 2009.

Imagine my surprise when the Westy rusted out and I went looking for a new one. Suddenly I am looking at $8000+ for an unmodified early bay! I am fortunate that I have the old one for parts and it is complete except for the biodegradable body parts, so I am in pretty good shape there. I ended up having to buy a shell for $1600 and ship it to me in the Yukon for another $3500. Now I will be into it for $4500+ and I have another $5k to go in paint and soft parts before I can even drive it.

Interestingly, the numbers work out. I don't intend to sell it anytime soon, so it is irrelevant, but you do like to know you are not wasting money. My cost will be a bit over $10 to be road worthy, however, I estimate that it's value will be $15K+ when done.

Time marches on! There is a cycle for all collectibles, related to scarcity, nostalgia(tied to when the interested demographic dies off!) and some other factors. The part we don't want to talk about is that in about 20 years or so, the value of these things will drop off again, with the exception of the really, really scarce and desireable ones. Those can be found at Pebble Beach!

Look at the cars of the thirties and earlier. 20 years ago a model T was a blue chip car. Now they are going for songs because no one wants to drive them regularly because they are too fussy(sound familiar?). Duesdenburgs will always be worth serious money but unless it is rare enough to interest the caviar and liqueur set, it becomes hot rod fodder or scrap. With musclecars, in the next 10-20 years a regular GTO will be hot rod fodder, much like the less desirable cars of the golden age. A RA IV Judge convertible will always have money, but the 68,000 regular Goats will be junk.

Taking the same look at VW's, a regular beetle will be a kids toy or junk in about 20 years, but a Hubmobile will be pricey. My Westy will be scrap too, but a 23 window will be another story.

The cycle of life, automotive style!

Chris

PS: pardon the long ramble, but winter in the Yukon is time to work on cars and navel gaze!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

well put.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

well put. I don't see this market living for a long time. Recently I started selling off some spare parts that I had collected. Some parts, that are made of unobtainium sold rather quickly at value. The other new parts, which are still available either new or as repops, were priced well under market, some that are maintenance & expendable parts - meaning they have a useable life span once installed were offered at give away prices - and no one was interested. As an example - a new quality t4 engine seal is typically between $40 and $55 most places ~ I offered one that was a high quality spare for $25 - half what it cost to buy. Finally took it off the market and will either stash it or trash it. If people don't have interest or money to buy things that will go bad on their buses, it doesn't say much for the future of the average bus out there. In the end the buses that were priced out of the market will end up scrapped like the ones in the photo, and crushed like 10's of thousands were around 2005 when the market was such that bus owners were offering $1 for a part that cost $50 in labor to remove. Wrecking yards said "enough!" and crushed their inventory. It is also why repop parts are so cheap. Not enough people will pay for quality. The nice buses will be the only ones left in the end and they will bring good money. Right now many youth want a bus but the cost in time and money ends up too much in many cases. I guess that means the average Joe looking for a cheap bus is already priced out of the market. I see many of those buses being driven 2 - 3 years at the most then scrapped when the engines - trans die. Already some of the parts needed to restore motors and trans are NLA. That only drives up prices on what is left.

It is not just income but attitude too. There are many 25 year olds I know just out of college who are making $60,000 - $80,000 a year so it is hard to believe money isn't available if someone wants to work. But there are only so many of those folks who want VW buses - some want other toys.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

IDK, in my mind I'm not looking 20 years down the road and worrying about what any of my VW's may will be worth or where the hobby will be. I'm living in the moment. I'm enjoying the hell out of the moment and the VW's too! It's a great hobby that keeps my mind busy. Driving them brings me happiness and a connection to my past and to now deceased family members. I enjoy the smiles from folks on the road. I like hearing an old timers VW stories from the 60's or 70's when they walk up to me at a gas station.

If anyone buys a VW and is worrying about getting their investment back from the restoration of it down the road, they should stop now. Very Happy I don't look at my VW's as an investment that will continue to appreciate in value. If that happens, well great. I view them as my toys and the money is spent and gone.

I totally agree that there will be a peak high value reached for any model VW. And then it will fall for all the reasons mentioned all ready.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

Drive it and enjoy.

I'd love to have a bus but when I can buy a Beetle and have it running for less than 2k then I am content. Plus I've never driven a VW Bus but they sure look neat. I wouldn't mind having a flat bed to haul things around with. I know there are those of you who would gawk at that but I use my cars for every day things. I just enjoy driving them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

Quote:
If anyone buys a VW and is worrying about getting their investment back from the restoration of it down the road, they should stop now.

A friend once bought a brand new air-cooled 911 for his 20th high school reunion. I asked if he minded me asking what he paid for it. His response caught me off guard:

"Wrong question Steve. It isn't what it cost, it is what I had to give up."

I have learned in life that the real cost of something is not in dollars but what you have to give up. You should be asking yourself what your bus is costing you long term that you will give up. If you spend $20K on it and get nothing back, will you have enough when you need to send a son or daughter to college? Will you spend so much time working on it and other cars that your marriage will fall apart? No one but you and God can answer that question. I do care that I never become a financial burden on others, hence I do concern myself how much my bus will return in $$ compared to what it will give me in my life.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

Rolling 401 K for me. Balance the now enjoyment with craze meeting top $ selling point. Then Ill sell. I love them but when us 40 somethings are 80 the ACVW will go the way of the Model T crowd and enthusiasm. Ill sell before then.

Why do you think I like putting things on that no ones see's? Increase the value. Stuart just put in his limited slip diff out of Maisy. Bus drives even better - more value at selling time Cool

I plan on enjoying it for as long as possible. Maybe move to Kona and enjoy it there. Time and as stated above - if another important life moment comes up - Im glad to have it to cash in on.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

more like a rolling 401K without the recapture and subsequent taxes.

A second home deduction can be claimed from what I understand if an RV has sleeping, bathroom and kitchen facilities - so some Westphalia's might even give some write off now. see publication below and your tax person.

Smile

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p936.pdf

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

Normally that would not be the case since cars depreciate. It's funny how that works out.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
If anyone buys a VW and is worrying about getting their investment back from the restoration of it down the road, they should stop now.

A friend once bought a brand new air-cooled 911 for his 20th high school reunion. I asked if he minded me asking what he paid for it. His response caught me off guard:

"Wrong question Steve. It isn't what it cost, it is what I had to give up."

I have learned in life that the real cost of something is not in dollars but what you have to give up. You should be asking yourself what your bus is costing you long term that you will give up. If you spend $20K on it and get nothing back, will you have enough when you need to send a son or daughter to college? Will you spend so much time working on it and other cars that your marriage will fall apart? No one but you and God can answer that question. I do care that I never become a financial burden on others, hence I do concern myself how much my bus will return in $$ compared to what it will give me in my life.

I think more in terms of those things too. It doesn't matter that much to me what I could sell it for at any given time, but what I am getting out of the time I put into it. I have learned a lot of skills in 27 years of maintaining the same bus and enjoyed improving those skills and using them for other things. I also enjoy using it, though I think I have enjoyed the learning part more in the last ten years. I ask myself on a regular basis how I would feel about the time spent if the bus was suddenly gone, This has motivated me to decide to insure it for real before it goes on the road in the spring.

In my years of owning my bus, I think overall conditions are better for restoring one. The upside to it's increased popularity has been a huge increase in the knowledge base that can be accessed, not just for buses but the skills required to fix one. But this is compared to working on it by myself in the boonies in the early 90's.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

If you Are under 30 putting 20k into a toy is a foolish financial move costing you about half of your needed money for retirement.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
If you Are under 30 putting 20k into a toy is a foolish financial move costing you about half of your needed money for retirement.

I agree but.. we all know people who blow 20k on all sorts of stupid things that depreciate rapidly. A few years ago I bought a 12 YO Porsche for $20k. It sold for $80 new! There's some depreciation in action right there! At that price point, I thought I'd enjoy it for a couple of years and dump it and break even. Well, I did dump it and took a $3k loss! Laughing

On a positive note, my VW's have appreciated in value to this point. I still see continued appreciation for the next 10 years as well. Notch hit it on the head. Timing is everything if/when you want to sell it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

Toys hit a 30k ceiling for most of the market so don't think of them like appreciating assets.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: