Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Priced out of the market?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I just paid 450M for a piece of canvas...I'm going to fry it and eat it to see what Davinci tasted like. Am I in the right forum for that?
It only took me 6 months to create/age that "DaVinci" Wink Thanks for the paycheck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

Watched "sour grapes" with my daughter and we both rolled on floor laughing about how God can f* rich people for fun....

Laughing Laughing Laughing Tom and Bill
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Manfred58sc wrote:
Never bought a $12 hamburger.

I just had a $15 hamburger, it was amazing! Local La Plata county grass fed beef, freshly baked bun and fries made in house. Mmm mmm that shit was good!!!

Was that a place in Durango? We Buskatiers ate at a place that featured grass-fed burgers in Durango a couple days before we met up with everyone for the off-road drive.

I agree, was pretty darn good!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Abscate wrote:
I just paid 450M for a piece of canvas...I'm going to fry it and eat it to see what Davinci tasted like. Am I in the right forum for that?
It only took me 6 months to create/age that "DaVinci" Wink Thanks for the paycheck!

..or should I be in the Van Goghn Forum

(How did I miss that material????)
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

I just traded one for a couple of high end hand guns but with the way they are going up in price, I have to wonder if I effectively just bought a pizza with a couple of bitcoins.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

There will always be a strong market for the most desirable models of Bays. You can't just open a catalog and build one like you can a Camaro, GTO, Mustang and countless other American muscle cars.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

Last year I was talking to a guy on the classifieds, he said he was bailing cause he said busses were turning into a Yuppy status symbol.

I said, they did that to Harley's once, but I still ride them. This is my culture, my tribe.

I know Dave Ramsey total money makeover would roll his eyes at owning things like this, some folks will never "Get It". I say, if you have the bill thing figured out then go for it, enjoy your life today. Caring for a VW bus is just good clean fun and good for the soul. Who cares if you get out alive money wise, you only go round once.

Busses have gone from practical to collectible. Let's face it, it's a collectables market now. One has to put forth some effort to locate parts and do a little bit more that google searches. Like ring doorbells and talk to people right. From what I can see, a Bus is such an iconic vehicle, there will most likely always be desire out there to own one and I say, get it while you can!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
Last year I was talking to a guy on the classifieds, he said he was bailing cause he said busses were turning into a Yuppy status symbol.

I said, they did that to Harley's once, but I still ride them. This is my culture, my tribe.

I know Dave Ramsey total money makeover would roll his eyes at owning things like this, some folks will never "Get It". I say, if you have the bill thing figured out then go for it, enjoy your life today. Caring for a VW bus is just good clean fun and good for the soul. Who cares if you get out alive money wise, you only go round once.

Busses have gone from practical to collectible. Let's face it, it's a collectables market now. One has to put forth some effort to locate parts and do a little bit more that google searches. Like ring doorbells and talk to people right. From what I can see, a Bus is such an iconic vehicle, there will most likely always be desire out there to own one and I say, get it while you can!

Heh, I listen to Dave Ramsey and though I've "cheated" along the way try to live by the big principals. I'd say I have a long way to go, but it certainly has kept me from getting myself into big trouble!

I figure the old VWs are kind of outside his general rule of not owning "things with motors" that equal more than 50% of income. The idea behind his rule is that those things generally go down in value. Well, it is clear that is not the case wit these old Buses. So I hang on to them.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
Busses have gone from practical to collectible.

I really don't think that's the whole story.

Yeah I spent a few years tinkering most weekends and occasional nights after work to get my bus in the mechanical shape it's in now, and it probably gained value in that time. But after all the work is done, I am left with a fun and attractive car that can easily haul whatever I want, wherever I want, at an economical cost per mile to operate.

Are the cars collectable? Absolutely! But don't think for a second that they are not practical.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

They are crappy investments compared to other financial tools. Own one to enjoy it, not to get rich. If you are paying someone to rework it and/or maintain it you will never make money. If you do the work yourself, you will recover your labor costs - of course if it brings you joy doing the work then its a different investment.

I just did a clutch on a Volvo on my back in the driveway because the only local shop I trusted was four weeks booked, and I got to refresh suspension and wheel bearings for parts only - labor was duplicated on the transmission drop.

12 hours in and 2000 saved - not bad.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

oh sure, probably not the best investments if comparing a bus to traditional investment opportunities.

But, I use mine for fairly regular transportation that is more fun than lots of other options and stunning I take care of it, it won't go down in value like most other forms of transport.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Watched "sour grapes" with my daughter and we both rolled on floor laughing about how God can f* rich people for fun....

Laughing Laughing Laughing Tom and Bill

True. I watched that a few months ago and it was the same conclusion I had. The guy was a talented scammer, but I didn't felt sorry at all for any of the ''victims'' portrayed.

If it wasn't for the French winemaker who pushed the case that would probably still go on for a few more years.

He have some of those rich fellas treading the path into Aircooled VW's...
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

I think the problem with the original poster is this:
The cost of a rust-free Westphalia body is going to be almost the same
cost as a rust-free Westphalia with a decent running engine.
Those campers are the top end of Bay Windows & nobody with a brain will
sell you a glider kit when 5-6k in rebuilt power will fetch quite decent money.
You are unicorn hunting.
yellowCOwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

I saw the air cooled 911 market skyrocket from when I got my first Carrera to a year after I sold my ‘92 911 Turbo, similar to how the split window market has gone up.

I am sure bays will Infineon to go up, but I love driving mine and already have it, so who cares.

'78 Westy
Currently yellow and white "Sunny"
A few other air cooled VW and Porsches over the years
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

Owning 20 classic cars is an investment, owning just one classic car is a toy.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

20 cars?? That may be a psychological disorder known as hoarding ( a sad need for control according to reality TV shows ). I only have 18 cars ( I think..) so I'm still ok. I snapped up all I could before the prices shot up, glad I did
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Manfred58sc wrote:
Never bought a $12 hamburger.

I just had a $15 hamburger, it was amazing! Local La Plata county grass fed beef, freshly baked bun and fries made in house. Mmm mmm that shit was good!!!

Not only am I my own best mechanic. I am also my own best cook. Just like the need for quality parts for your bus, you need quality ingredients too!

Grass fed beef for the masses! Wink https://5barbeef.com/
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

Prices have not gone up, the currency has lost value.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I snapped up all I could before the prices shot up, glad I did

and at what point do you dump them before they become worthless? the car bubble has lost steam. GOOD buses will always sell for good money. the "hit the parts shelf lotto" needs on of everything cars are still cheap. I purged a ton of shit a few years ago now, most went to the UK. i'm not proud...first money is the best money.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Priced out of the market? Reply with quote

Is it just me, or are prices falling? Hundreds and hundreds of Buses (and Bugs) for sale on this site, alone. And most are way overpriced. There just can't be that many enthusiasts to shell out that much dough. I just don't see the demand.

Of course, I truly believe that many of them don't actually want (or need) to sell, but, if someone's willing to pay enough to enable them to make a down payment on a house, well hell, why not?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: