Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter will not start after long drive
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Starter will not start after long drive Reply with quote

Hi,

Hope you can help.
After a long drive ( 1 - 2 hours) even in reasonably cold weather, I find stopping for gas or food the starter will not turn over.

Usually takes about 1/2 hour of sitting for it to be able to turn again. Once on a camping trip is barely started to turn after sitting for a day. when the starter does turn, it is not sluggish at all turns as it should.

I am tending to think it is the starter.. but just wondered if anyone has had this problem, and how it was resolved.
thanks
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter will not start after long drive Reply with quote

I fought this for years. There is an easy fix with a relay to the starter as the wiring of the solenoid is affected by the heat of the engine or so.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=404521

Just a regular guy
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter will not start after long drive Reply with quote

There are likely many things causing this.

-A crappy old battery with corroded posts just will not turn even a brand new factory starter all that well

-Crappy old battery cables that were marginal when new and are now 40+ years old, likely with junky temporary use replacement ends. Buying new cables that are a gauge or two larger than the original is a cheap fix at this point in time.

-The ground strap on the transmission is likely in no better shape than the battery cables. Probably around $15 for a nice hefty one.

-The starter solenoid is full of ancient dried up grease, easy enough fits to remove, clean, relube, and replace.

-The starter itself may be week as it hasn't seen a go 11 volts across its terminals in 15 years at this point.

-If the transmission has been rebuilt and painted over the last decade then the starter may not be making good electrical contact with the bellhousing. Scrape the mating surfaces clear of paint and use a thin smear of grease to keep corrosion at bay.

-The #50 wire may be a corroded mess, replace if there is much of a voltage drop from one end to the other when in use.

-The ignition switch may no longer be doing its job all that well. Buy a new OEM one and a spare, about $12-15 each.
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter will not start after long drive Reply with quote

Wildthings covered all of the typical issues and worth checking them out. I also had this issue and chased my tail for a while and it ultimately ended up being my nearly new starter itself. Changed it out for an old original one I had laying around and the problem was completely solved. Took me a while to figure this out too. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter will not start after long drive Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
There are likely many things causing this.

-A crappy old battery with corroded posts just will not turn even a brand new factory starter all that well

-Crappy old battery cables that were marginal when new and are now 40+ years old, likely with junky temporary use replacement ends. Buying new cables that are a gauge or two larger than the original is a cheap fix at this point in time.

-The ground strap on the transmission is likely in no better shape than the battery cables. Probably around $15 for a nice hefty one.

-The starter solenoid is full of ancient dried up grease, easy enough fits to remove, clean, relube, and replace.

-The starter itself may be week as it hasn't seen a go 11 volts across its terminals in 15 years at this point.

-If the transmission has been rebuilt and painted over the last decade then the starter may not be making good electrical contact with the bellhousing. Scrape the mating surfaces clear of paint and use a thin smear of grease to keep corrosion at bay.

-The #50 wire may be a corroded mess, replace if there is much of a voltage drop from one end to the other when in use.

-The ignition switch may no longer be doing its job all that well. Buy a new OEM one and a spare, about $12-15 each.

all of what Mike said
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Starter will not start after long drive Reply with quote

Ok, thanks will check out all the above, I think all associated wires are clean but will double check, and check tranny ground.. did not think of that..
Many thanks...
Otis, thanks for the link also...

Matt
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter will not start after long drive Reply with quote

mr matt wrote:
Ok, thanks will check out all the above, I think all associated wires are clean but will double check, and check tranny ground.. did not think of that..
Many thanks...
Otis, thanks for the link also...

Matt
unbolt the battery ground from the body and make sure you shine up the steel of the body and the ground strap where it connects. Neglect this connection at your own peril. ALL current going to every circuit in the bus flows through this connection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Starter will not start after long drive Reply with quote

OK, thanks Tom, will do...
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter will not start after long drive Reply with quote

Just install the "hot start" relay and thank me later. You will chase your tail trying to get everything in the system to work perfectly just like factory fresh and then it will fail again on you somewhere inconvenient.

The relay fixes the problem caused by a bad design.
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter will not start after long drive Reply with quote

Hi WT,

Yes, very much looking into that....., and likely doing that...been talking to a few people.

thanks for your input -
Matt
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter will not start after long drive Reply with quote

WhirledTraveller wrote:
Just install the "hot start" relay and thank me later. You will chase your tail trying to get everything in the system to work perfectly just like factory fresh and then it will fail again on you somewhere inconvenient.

The relay fixes the problem caused by a bad design.

never had an issue that either a new battery, or greasing the solenoid every 3 to 4 years didn't fix in the half-million miles driven in my bays. On my 1971 replaced one ignition switch at about 350,000 miles. Explain again please how a hot start relay improves on that reliability ... .
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter will not start after long drive Reply with quote

I know people have opinions regarding the relay or not, and I have read a lot here on thesamaba about it, including SGKent's great write up of starter cleaning/greasing, etc..
Tomorrow I plan on going through all the items mentioned above about cleaning all contacts, and starter/solenoid cleaning greasing, and see how things are with respect to their need of cleaning.

It does sound like the bus starter system is leaning toward a bad design if the need is to grease the solenoid every 4 years or so. I have a 1955 VW beetle which I have had for almost 18 years now, and with its aging wires, and only 6 volts, even in the winter the starter turns as it should when called upon. The starter came was with the car when I got it, and I know the car was stored for about 30 years. I never had to grease the solenoid, nor on any other bug I ever owned. This is my first bus.

Last summer, I went to Canada from ~ Phila, Pa and it was no fun at all (esp for my wife and daughter) being surprised that the bus would not start at the campsite even an hour after it was turned off. Did not sleep to well thinking if we were to be stuck the next morning for me, - my wife and daughter would be upset.

It did start, but again failed at a gas station fueling. My wife and I had to push the bus on a slight upgrade with my daughter uncomfortable in the driving seat never had kick start any vehicle. It was very fortunate that two men came over and pushed the bus with me in the driver seat to jump start. Fun memory now.. but then not so much.

I just want to avoid that situation again... or at the least increase my chances of no more surprises like that for this type of occurrence anyway.

Although I am a stock person, ...I am leaning toward a Ford relay switch that has a bump start, and although I hate to do it, install it. .. Unless I find the solenoid very dirty or bad contacts... which would give me confidence again to not use a relay - which I hope is the case.
I understand to actuate the relay the current/volts needed are less to trip the relay to the starter, vs than for the starter itself. With a bump starter I don't need any voltage to the ignition line apparently.

I do have to admit, swapping out a relay is much more convenient than pulling out a starter to clean/grease on a trip.

I will see how dirty things are.

Respectfully to all....
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter will not start after long drive Reply with quote

As I have noted many times, that ground strap off the transmission is often the problem. Simply clean the ends to shiny.

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter will not start after long drive Reply with quote

FWIW, the first time I had the hot start syndrome occur was way back in 1992 or 93. Lubricated the solenoid and then never had the problem reoccur until this past summer, a time span of 26 or 27 years. I do maintain my charging system well, with clean terminals and nice fat cables.

Since you are on the east coast I would recommend that you change out your ground strap with a nice heavy one from your FLAPS instead of just cleaning the ends. They are not particularly expensive.

Last edited by Wildthings on Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:53 am; edited 2 times in total
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter will not start after long drive Reply with quote

Thanks, good advice - will do
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter will not start after long drive Reply with quote

I had this same problem in my 71. It turned out the grease in there was old and nasty. A little cleaning and re greasing, and cleaning some grounds and battery cables did the trick for me. Havent had a problem since. At least 4 months as of now.

56 Beetle - Wilbur. I found a lot of lipstick on this pig so far.
63 Beetle - Luna
66 13 window Bus - Tetanus
71 Bay Window - Lola. Totaled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Starter will not start after long drive Reply with quote

It’s not bad design when you put crappy parts on a good design, it’s crappy parts.

Hot start relays are for people who are too lazy to fix the problems, plural.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Starter will not start after long drive Reply with quote

I think the starter issue and the ignition switch/relay thing issue are separate, and not really an either/or argument.

The electrical connections (all of 'em!) need to be nice and clean, and the starter needs to be in good shape (including the grease) if things are going to work correctly. Follow the advice given on that stuff and you'll be well on your way.

With regards to the relay stuff, here are my thoughts. For what it's worth:

The original switches are now 40 years old, and getting a good replacement is difficult at best. Years ago, on my '78, the coil came loose, rotated around while I was driving, and the 12v wire from the ignition switch shorted out. Luckily the engine died before the wire was toasted beyond recognition and it didn't melt into other wire insulation, in fact, it's own insulation was barely damaged.

But it did kill the electrical portion of the ignition switch.

Since then, I've replaced it several times. Originally probably from a local source, but the last two or three were from advertiser/vendors here on the Samba. I know the last two for sure I spent more for the ones listed as best quality.

But I still had to futze around with starting the Bus. For a while it was with a relay triggered by a aftermarket horn button. Later it was I'd have to jiggle and push the wire harness under the switch a little. All the switches would work for a while before not working again. These were all triggering a relay, too.

Finally, I decided to try one more switch because I was tired of the wire jiggling dance. I installed it last May. It easily turned the Bus on each time!! However, the "key in" circuit wasn't fully functional, and that is important because that is what tells my radio to turn on. I still had to futze with the switch to make the radio work. My workaround was to snip a bit of plastic and insert it in the top of the switch so that the plunger in the switch would travel a little further and turn the radio on reliably.

That was in May and it is still working well today.

All that to say, a well-wired (beefy wires, good crimps, etc), well placed (i.e. in the engine compartment/not under the Bus exposed to water and dirt and gunk), high amp-carrying relay can be a good investment to protect the ignition switch from wear and tear.

The '78 has a relay, the '73 and Thing do not at this point. I may at some point add them in.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter will not start after long drive Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It’s not bad design when you put crappy parts on a good design, it’s crappy parts.

Hot start relays are for people who are too lazy to fix the problems, plural.

With respect, if it was a good design we wouldn't be having this conversation because it wouldn't be a common problem. It's been an issue for decades, well before the crappy Chinese ignition switches and crappy sweatshop starter "rebuilds" ever came to market. Yes the hot start relay is "lazy" but it also fixes a common issue in such a way that it is unlikely to reoccur, which for most of us non purists is the bottom line.

For those who don't know how old this issue is, my tattered copy of John Muir's "How to Keep Your Volkwagen Alive", 1981 edition, contains a description of how to accomplish the fix using a Ford solenoid.

As far as I'm concerned, if John Muir recommended it to genuine hippies then it's OK by me.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter will not start after long drive Reply with quote

solenoid takes more current to pull in than hold. Telford has done the math. Once the grease hardens the ignition pulls much more current and the switch burns up. The solution is to grease the solenoid as part of regular maintenance every 45,000 to 55,000 miles. Cars of this era were meant to last 100,000 miles. That means every 3 to 4 years. These cars are now 40 - 50 years old.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: