Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 66 Pigalle project - More problems
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Godsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had new cork ones and they leaked like crazy, so I bought the silicone ones to similar effect. I re-re-bent the bailer and now it's not leaking from the valve covers anymore, but there is a leak from the pulley. I'm not sure how much I care about it to fix it. I'm going to drive it a little and see how much it leaks and then make a decision.

I fixed the wipers, basically I took the whole motor apart and cleaned every connection thoroughly including the ground, then re-assembled it. I figured out the switch. For those interested:

wiper motor wiper switch
54D goes to 53
31B goes to 31B
54 goes to 30

Today I am fixing the parking brake that broke last week.

And here are some pics of the car:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyeballed the oval chairs today,turns out the sumbitches are pigalle,and all this time I thought they were red..
Godsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that johnnypan, that was a worthwhile post.

I've decided that the leak needs to be fixed, I believe that the leak is coming from the seal behind the pulley. Are there different versions of that seal? Who has the best one?

I'm listing the car for sale. With a 3 month old, I can't be spending all my weekends in the garage wrenching on the car. Once I fix the leak I will feel good about selling a good car to someone that will be able to enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUGTHUG
Samba's Rented Mule

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm listing the car for sale. With a 3 month old, I can't be spending all my weekends in the garage wrenching on the car.

when I first read this I thought you were selling the car with a 3 month old. I thought, man what a country. Smile

1963 15 window bus
1966 VW bug
1966 21 window micro bus
1969 Dune Buggy
1965 VW bug
1974 VW bug
1972 Kelmark, VW drive line
1948 Chevrolet Hearse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless a sand seal was used odds are your pulley doesn't have a seal in the traditional sense,Vw used a labyrinth style seal which is a tight tolerance between the case and pulley snub with grooves (annular)directing the oil back to the crankcase.

If it has a sand seal replace it...if not,get rid of that aluminum pulley and go with a stock steel one.

Owning a VW doesn't require you spending all your free time working on it..it requires you to repair or maintain everything correctly using quality parts.
Godsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I haven't posted about the car in a while so I thought I'd update what I've done in the last few months.

I have an oil leak on the passenger side that just won't quit. I have valve cover breathers that have a hose attached that goes up to a T and drains into the oil filler neck. I've replaced the valve cover gaskets with the aircraft style gaskets as well as cork gaskets. I've bent and rebent the bailer with no result. Still leaks. It's freaking annoying, I don't know what to try next.

I hooked up a small amp with plug and put a speaker in the speaker hole and now I can listen to my phone through the amp. Pretty cool, it leaves the radio delete in there and looks stock. The amp is in the glove box. That was a good call.

The headlights were wonky, but I replaced some of the parts and now they point straight. They have LED halo rings that turn on whenever I start the car. Looks pretty slick.

The drivers side door sill had some surface rust that was starting to get out of hand, so I wire brushed it all down and painted it with several layers of rust preventative paint and then put stainless door sills in. Looks great.

I'm having a charging problem recently. I can start the car and drive all day but the battery never gets recharged, so the battery dies out over time. It worked before, I don't know what has changed.

The brake fluid needs to be replaced, but I haven't gotten to that yet.

Most of the problems have been worked out, if I could only get the oil leak fixed and the charging problem fixed I would feel really good.
Godsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed the oil leak, and charging problem! I also sold the car! Thank God. I be outta here.

The Samba ain't what it used to be, on to bigger and better things...
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 66 Pigalle project - More problems Reply with quote

Godsbug wrote:
I just got this 66 in pretty good shape. Amazingly good shape, actually. I wouldn't be surprised in the 13k miles on the speedo is only 113k miles. The doors shut perfectly, the steering is tight, the pans are even in good condition. What sold me was the red interior with the red rubber mats. Even with the hole in the driver side, it is super cool. I bought it without the engine, the PO (who had it for 3 months) pulled the engine and then lost it, so I bought the car without an engine. I have a 1904 sitting in the garage so that wasn't a deal breaker, I'm just going to put that in instead. It was repainted at some point a Porsche white. It's a decent job so I'm not going to mess with it. It even came with the original book for VW service! It had 15k miles in 1969 when the lady who bought it stopped taking it there for service. It has the radio block off plate so I'm putting in a small amp that I can plug my MP3 player into and speaker in the speaker grill and I'm just going to run it that way. I listen to audiobooks mostly so sound quality isn't a priority.

I have some questions and concerns with it however. If you look at the interior under the rear window, the red has turned white. Do you think that is due to water leakage? There is no rust that I can feel, but...
It is 6V and I need to convert it to 12V to run my engine. I have all the bulbs, wiper motor, and starter (with bushing) to convert it to 12V, and I know I need to clearance the trans for the larger flywheel, am I missing anything? How to you replace the light bulb in the flasher? Where do you get a replacement bulb? I unscrewed the top and saw the bulb, I've never seen anything like it before and don't know how to pull it.
The shifter boot is black, should it be red to go with the red interior? Amazingly, the interior is in great shape. The splits on the front seats are on the seams and they are in an interior shop right now getting re-sewn so I can rock the original interior!
There is rust on the drivers side rocker and it has stained the carpet. I hope it is just surface rust, but we'll have to see. I have a rust free donor baja that I can use for the rocker if I need to.
The rear decklid doesn't close past the replacement rear bumper. Is there a secret to making that work other than tilting the bumper down (which I don't want to do)?
Finally, the frunk doesn't close, but the pin is bent a little to the side, so I just need to align it properly and it should be good.
Other than that, any comments? Things I could be missing? This is going to be my daily, so just a nice driver, not a show car. My commute adds up to 5k miles a year.

My '66 Pearl White with Pigalle interior also has the Red carpet under the rear window that is badly faded. I wonder if there is some kind of spray dye that can be applied there to bring back the color without having to replace the carpet.

Yours appears to be stained from condensation running off of the rear window. I guess it could also be a leaky window seal. Mine is mostly just sun faded.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: