Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Very weird electrical problem at the dash
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Very weird electrical problem at the dash Reply with quote

I get consistently the same problem again and again > which is this:
Normally with the key out, the analogue clock is clicking away...
KEY ON and TWO things suddenly happen:
1) the clock STOPS
2) the Temp gauge blinker blinks once then stops

PS - I should also mention that I have recently fully cleanup both GROUND CASTLES.

Last edited by epowell on Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:05 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Very weird electrical problem at the dash Reply with quote

Well I found the problem, but now not sure what to do about it... the issue seems to be with 'dash light dimmer switch' which is right below the headlight switch. When the dimmer switch is rolled OFF and KEY IS ON, then the clock stops and the blinker just blinks once then stops >>>> now if I roll that dimmer switch to ON (KEY still ON) then the blinker blinks nonstop and the clock starts again. What's going on here?? Is there a SHORT in that dimmer switch? I noticed that all last year this dimmer switch sometimes worked sometimes didn't work... Perhaps I should just replace that whole switch unit, if they are available?

PS - Why would this dimmer switch be somehow DISABLING both the clock and the temp blinker, but then allowing clock and neverending blinking when turned on?

Seems they are only $10 --- hopefully they are available here in Czech https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/headlamp-switch-t3-non-dim-dip.html
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Very weird electrical problem at the dash Reply with quote

I suspect the dimmer switch aspect is a bit of a red herring though it helps point toward the likely real problem, an inadequate ground for the cluster.

I often modify the cluster ground setup is early vans because of issues they have. In essence I double the ground connections and make them direct to metal near the cluster. I've written about it in various places and times.

VW changed the cluster ground during some 84 models and all later vans.

All traveling vans should carry a good spare headlight switch IMHO, as well as a spare good ignition switch.

Mark
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Very weird electrical problem at the dash Reply with quote

The early wiring has 2 brown wires to the cluster 14 pin edge connector. Only 1 of them is the actual cluster ground and the other is where other dash stuff shares the cluster ground. Bad design, as VW came to realize.

crazyvwvanman wrote:

The way I would deal with the cluster grounds on 80-84 is to cut both brown wires about 3" from the edge connector. Tie the two short 3" ends together and extend them with a thicker wire to a screw that attaches to the body. Then attach the other 2 long ends to just each other. Done.

Mark
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Very weird electrical problem at the dash Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The early wiring has 2 brown wires to the cluster 14 pin edge connector. Only 1 of them is the actual cluster ground and the other is where other dash stuff shares the cluster ground. Bad design, as VW came to realize.

The way I would deal with the cluster grounds on 80-84 is to cut both brown wires about 3" from the edge connector. Tie the two short 3" ends together and extend them with a thicker wire to a screw that attaches to the body. Then attach the other 2 long ends to just each other. Done.

Thanks Mark, a clean and simply fix like this would be really nice - I hope it works.

However, I have one question about this procedure. The cluster-14 has 2 brown ground wires. #5 (I think) is the actual ground wire to body, and #13 (I think) actually leads over to the hazard lights switch! I was recently sussing this out.

You suggest cutting the 2 brown wires 3" out from the cluster-14, joining them, and leading to a good known body ground. And then connecting the long wires together > this is the part I don't get. Wouldn't it be better to simply connect all 4 wires (2 short ones out of cluster-14 and the 2 long ones) join all together and lead to a known good ground?

If I understood correctly, those 2 long wires (created after cutting them 3" out of the cluster-14 ----- one of them is the "original actual ground" and THIS is the problematic ground wire to begin with and leads off to some dubious unreliable ground, no? ...and the other "long brown wire" simply goes off to the hazard lights switch. ...so by connecting the 2 long wires together that would mean that the hazard lights are still connected to a dubious ground wire, no?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Very weird electrical problem at the dash Reply with quote

No. You missed the prime objective. The prime objective is to prevent other things from sharing the same ground wiring as the instrument cluster blue foil circuits.

Mark

epowell wrote:
You suggest cutting the 2 brown wires 3" out from the cluster-14, joining them, and leading to a good known body ground. And then connecting the long wires together > this is the part I don't get. Wouldn't it be better to simply connect all 4 wires (2 short ones out of cluster-14 and the 2 long ones) join all together and lead to a known good ground?....
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Very weird electrical problem at the dash Reply with quote

Ah... OK > I see now what you mean. So I will go out and do this --- and let's hope after that there will be some improvement.

I had checked that #5 brown wire recently and it is a working ground, so I see no problem with using that wire to ground the hazard lights... and I will run the other 2 grounds to a fresh known ground.

Before I do that I am going to put the temp gauge send wire (from the HEAD) into a put of almost boiling water ...and see how the gauge reactes and how quickly --- make notes of this --- then make this wiring mod. and repair the sender in hot water done in exactly the same way.... look for differences.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Very weird electrical problem at the dash Reply with quote

So I just completed this MOD. > ...then tested "KEY ON" and there is no noticeable change or improvement. unfortunately.

I ordered today a new headlight switch (as well as a new ignition switch for good measure) - but won't get these until Monday.

In the meantime I will be testing various points on the console with my multi-meter... a friend is guiding me thru that because I pretty much haven't a clue Embarassed
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Very weird electrical problem at the dash Reply with quote

Solved the clock/blinker weirdness! All I did was to remove and reinstall this little plastic nipple behind the clock!!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Very weird electrical problem at the dash Reply with quote

I can't say 100% for sure yet, but it looks like my temp gauge is now working properly... I think that the grounding mod. was the issue.
THANKS MARK!

For sure now I know that coolant IS circulating - rad is now getting hot.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: