Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'75 UK 1303 Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

I cant believe you saved that door, I thought I jumped in on projects but man you are deep on saving that thing. I feel like a butcher after reading through your thread Laughing
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks! In the end the door wasn't that hard a job, easier making patch repairs from scratch than getting the crappy off-the-shelf repair panels to fit & look correct.
Saying that, I'm glad I found the rust-free LH door which saved me doing the same work all over again (and then some).

Taking a break from bodywork (already, I have no patience for it) and have started playing with the Porsche front suspension. Some updates soon...
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

I can't believe the rust in the car that you have removed.

My 1968 1500 Beetle is rust free after 48 years.

Even my 1973 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super 1.3 (not known for being rust free and came from a tropical climate) never had that much rust.

My hand goes out to you for the effort that you have put in - seriously good
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

I’m hating bodywork already... The cutting / welding bit is OK, but sanding and prepping for paint is just tedious...

Anyway, I’ve got the front RH inner wing sanded back to a good key, temporary primer previously applied has been sanded back, all original seam sealer removed to check no nasty surprises (there weren’t any, just a few small areas needed sanding / blasting to get rid of surface rust)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

New seam sealer applied

Etch primer and standard primer sprayed on

The whole inner wing will be sprayed with stone chip, not sure if it’s worth doing one quarter at a time. But seeing some parts change colour and look ‘finished’ is a good motivator!

As a distraction from tedious bodywork I’ve started to play with the Porsche front suspension... I’ve posted details of this here: Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303

I’m sort of swapping between the bodywork and the suspension depending on time / budget and inclination, but either way, slow progress is being made!
jerrybromley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great photos these will be of GREAT assistance on my project !
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

I'm easily distracted from bodywork and paint prep... For a while now I've been concentrating on my Porsche front brake conversion. Today was a good day - got everything rough-fitted and bolted togather, and got the car on 4 wheels for the first time in around 8 months!

Here is what it looks like now, with 4cm oversise wing at the front (it needs it, the wheel sticks out beyond the standard wing!)

260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Just read through this, i went through similar deliberations when building my 03 cab back in 2000, Originally i was going to run 944 early front stub axles with the full early 944 front brake set up and 6x16 Fuch wheels, cant recall the offset.
Assembled it all on the car and then widened a pair of steel front wings to cover the resulting wideness.
car went for paint and only then did i realise it was too wide at the front, so rethink required.
I eventually went back to modified 03S front stubs, kersher struts and early 944 calipers on Kersher vented discs with 7.5x17 et 52 MM Cup 2 replicas under stock front wings.
Wideness

Front end after mind change

For the rear i stuck to my guns even after a wheel change.
Originally 6x16 Fuchs with early 944 brakes using steel 944 diagonal arms and spring plates.
Not much track width change, but then the wheel change came in, same as fronts.
The original idea required a wing wider than stock so i widened a pair of steel ones 30mm, after the wheel change there was one issue.
The wheels stuck out, so i narrowed the diagonals a bit about 10 mm. Using stock 1303 drive shafts it all works.Done about 15k miles and all seems ok.

So my car runs 944 early front calipers on stock spindles with kersher discs and struts and 7.5 x17 rims under stock wings.
Rear has stock early 944 complete brake set up with slightly narrowed steel 944 diagonal arms, same rims as front but under 30mm wider steel wings.
heres how it looks

I dont suppose this is of any use but its what i did and it seems to work, even after 10 years on the road.
These guys who run 4 and 6 pot calipers make me chuckle, my car has a CSP master cylinder and i can lock the wheels easily so the early 944 calipers are fine for road use as far as i am concerned.
good luck,
Paul
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

That's a cool car! (and kudos for your Notchback thread in the Type 3 forum... I miss my Squareback!)

Thanks for the info, I'm happy with some moderate widening but not if it looks too extreme. I now have a 'flat' 944 rear hub to try, just have to get the Porsche rear hub nut undone first... Evil or Very Mad
Looks like this will reduce the rear projection by ~30mm, and front & rear will fit under +4cm wings with space to spare.

Weird:

Cool:

Yeah the 4/6-pot calipers are more for looks than anything else. The VW is lighter than the Porsche so am sure the single pot calipers will be improvement enough. Even though (a) I hope I never have to use the full braking performance in anger as it means some terrible situation is happening and (b) I'm not expecting to take my car to the track anytime. But I'm an engineer by profession, so just fancied the challenge of the conversion!

Dedicated thread on the brakes / suspension part of my build is here Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

A couple of people have commented on this thread over the last few months, didn't realise it had been quite so long since I last posted - but there are some more recent posts on my Porsche 944 Brake conversion thread with progress updates there on that side-project (not yet complete).

Well, the car recently got an outing into fresh air for the first time in 5 years

I should point out that it made it onto the trailer under it's own power! But it has no brakes right now, just half a handbrake (shoes on one side MIGHT be made of duct tape...)

Here's the photo from 2012 when it went INTO the garage to start the project. For all the work that has gone in so far it looks worse now, not better! But that is the way these things go... It looks good on the Porsche 17's though! Cool

My son has got a lot bigger in the same period!

Anyway, the hasty rebuild (throw everything back together) was because this happened...

New garage / house remodel now in progress, more updates on the Beetle build to come when building work is complete and I get to play in the new improved garage! Very Happy
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Amazing work. You are definitely putting everything you have into that car. Cool
Gee George
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Wicked to see someone from Leicester on here!!! I gotta do simelar work on my 1977 standard beetle. I have replaced both floor pan halves and now I have to replace the nearside inner wheel arch, bulkhead, far side heater channel and do some work on the rear bumper mounts. This has given me good motivation for working on it over the summer. Very Happy
Volt01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Cool! i got a miami blue bug too!
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:
I’m hating bodywork already... The cutting / welding bit is OK, but sanding and prepping for paint is just tedious...

Wait till you get to the color/wet sanding! Just when you think you're done,.... you're not! Worst yet, you have to get that last part done before you can bolt all those nice new trim parts back on.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Front to back on this thread here and am stunned by the metal work. Applause

Looking forward to an update!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Front to back on this thread here and am stunned by the metal work. Applause

Looking forward to an update!

In total agreement! WOW!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Any updates on this car?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Thank you all for the comments, it's been a long time since my last post. Unfortunately not much progress on the car as I am still plugging away at the house remodel (will be a while longer yet). Building work has been completed a while ago but loads of decorating to do, plus life distractions in general.

BUT the car is back home...

...and I have a swanky new garage I'm enjoying using!

FINALLY - a flat floor and a roof that does not leak!!!
Notice the two lifting eyes in the roof - positioned precisely to lift the body when it comes off the floorpan again! VW garage luxury. Cool

Gee George - good to have a Leicester neighbour here on the Samba! Very Happy
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

...and the Bug gets a personalized pit-crew area with body lift facilities. Talk about a dream house! Very Happy
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
1303s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Great work Dodgy! It's guys like you who post about what they're doing that get the rest of us motivated to try this on our cars! Very Happy I started on mine in January: front valance, inner wheel well, death foam ... and Klokkercrap panels! Very Happy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
TK-CS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:

Heater channel I fitted on the LH side was branded 'JP Group / Denmark' and looked like this:

Because it had been a long time since I bought the LH part, it didn't hugely surprise me when I went to the same supplier and walked out with a different one to before, this time branded 'Klokkerholm' that looked like this:

So the pressing looked much better, especially the detail around the heater outlet in the front footwell This was unexpected bearing in mind previous rants about Klokkercrap panels, BUT...
Evil or Very Mad The paint finish is not nearly as good, and doesn't extend inside the tube at all
Evil or Very Mad The fit wasn't as good, I had to extend the front by about 15mm (way more than the JP Group panel). After fitting none of the threaded inserts lined up with the floorpan, which will now need the holes lengthened or moved

To lengthen the heater channel front end I flattened the factory flange and extended it by adding a new one:

Today I came across a document from Klokkerholm at the Cagero Shop:

When I saw this document I recalled your build thread and was curious which version you got. Compared to your photos seems that you got one of the old ones (LH) and one of the revised (RH) Klokkerholm heater channels. Unfortunately the new ones are still by far not as good as they should be.

They sell these parts at around 99€ in Germany. Why don't they make it perfect and call 199€? A lot of people would pay if they get a perfect fitting part.
WC:
'77 Audi NSU Ro80
'88 GTI 16V
'91 Corrado G60
Daily:
'04 Passat Wagon 2.0TDI
'13 Passat Wagon 2.0TSI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: