Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL Reply with quote

Thanks Levi.
The console is not from the Porsche, just the shifter and cables. I'm loving the new shifter. Very precise and in a great location, no more long reaching.
The console is just an aftermarket one intended for use in a jeep. I could have just made a small piece to cover the shifter base but saw this an it looked like it'd fit well as well as give me a nice locking compartment and cup holders.
Rear seat access is still pretty easy from the front, just step on or over the console. Without the stick shifter sticking up, you've got room up there. I like the nice clean look. I called Sewfine and had them send me a front carpet kit without the cutout for the stick shifter. Very happy with their service and product as well.

Andrew-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is all road salt built up on the exhaust.

A very salty update...

I'm at 20k miles on the van since running with the Quattro drivetrain. Absolutely zero problems with it running backwards.

Something else that should be interesting, I had a fellow that has a SAH 1.8t 2wd van contact me, he is asking for his engine to be set up to run CCW and have a Audi Quattro transmion and diff installed. Should be a fun project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL Reply with quote

So you're going to convert a 2WD to AWD?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Yes, That's the plan.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL Reply with quote

Torture testing with the van.
Car manufacturers have their specially designed tracks, you just drive everywhere, year round. Wink

Did someone try to bust in through the side slider ?

Interesting project!
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL Reply with quote

Right Levi,

Testing is the reason I'm sacrificing my Syncro to the salt lords. Im lucky to live here in the Northeast, we see temps from -35° to 105°F and some of the strongest corrosion in the country. It's a great automotive test area.

I'm running 10-30 conventional oil and have started this thing in -4° And quickly revved it right up to test my reversed oil pump in this new engine. this one is driven by a chain off the crank and the I wanted to make sure the trick I came up with to make it pump when the crank is spinning backwards was up to the task. I don't have GM's test facilities, but I do the best I can.

The slider got damaged by rubbing up against a tree off-roading. I don't ever even lock it, if someone wants to get in, they can just open the door.
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL Reply with quote

Driving in the snow is a blast; but the aftermath is painful to see!

Good to see an update.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647477&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Yes, That's the plan.

Sooo...you can imagine why I asked. Since it's a customer's rig, I suppose you're going to just swap in the front subframe from a Syncro and recreate a similar install to that done on your van. But, I'm also curious to see if you've put any further thought into converting to AWD with bits from other vehicles. There's also the issue of the fuel tank(s)

ABC = Always Be Curious
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Yes, That's the plan.

Sooo...you can imagine why I asked. Since it's a customer's rig, I suppose you're going to just swap in the front subframe from a Syncro and recreate a similar install to that done on your van. But, I'm also curious to see if you've put any further thought into converting to AWD with bits from other vehicles. There's also the issue of the fuel tank(s)

ABC = Always Be Curious

You're right, just going with stock Syncor front suspension and fuel tank for this project. I'm still wanting to try something else too for front suspension, just don't have the time right now. I've got it planned out in my head along with a bunch of other cool projects. That reversed TDI is still giving me an itch. There's more too.

Andrew-
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL Reply with quote

Sorry if I missed it but, do you have any pics of the audi front diff mounts or it mounted in the van? I am pondering a similar conversion but with the subaru rear diff mounted up front and flipped upside down. Thanks
F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL Reply with quote

FrankenSubySyncro wrote:
Sorry if I missed it but, do you have any pics of the audi front diff mounts or it mounted in the van? I am pondering a similar conversion but with the subaru rear diff mounted up front and flipped upside down. Thanks

Aren't we all... Very Happy New drive trains seem to be on everyone's mind in 2017. Idea

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL Reply with quote

FrankenSubySyncro wrote:

Here's a pretty sloppy picture you can get an idea of what's going on...

xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL Reply with quote

0cean wrote:
FrankenSubySyncro wrote:

Aren't we all... Very Happy New drive trains seem to be on everyone's mind in 2017. Idea

I'm watching your thread too Ocean, looking forward to seeing that project becoming mobile. Great job with all that fiberglass and carbon fiber work.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
0cean wrote:
FrankenSubySyncro wrote:

I'm watching your thread too Ocean, looking forward to seeing that project becoming mobile. Great job with all that fiberglass and carbon fiber work.

Its turned into the battle of the wills. One of us will brake. The van or me. Laughing

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL Reply with quote

Three months and three thousand miles on the new engine, all is good except this......

and this.........

The speeding ticket I can deal with. That flex piece on the other hand, I'm not too happy about. I buy the exhaust parts from Siliconeintakes. Their description on these flex parts is...

"All flex sections are not the same. Many of the less expensive ones will not have a stainless steel braid on the inside, creating significant turbulence in the exhaust gasses and reducing horsepower. We've also noticed that many of them are listed as "stainless steel", but come with aluminized steel pipes which rust and leak significantly faster, wrapped in stainless steel braids. Our stainless steel exhaust/intake flex sections are some of the best you can buy, with stainless steel braids on the inside and 100% stainless steel construction."

Three months and 3K miles ago the exhaust looked like this...

I don't mind the discolor of the pipe, I do drive this thing year round and it sees plenty of salt. What I don't like is the braided flex piece falling apart. Especially when it is described as "Our stainless steel exhaust/intake flex sections are some of the best you can buy"

I sent them an email, I spend a lot of money on them, let's see what the response is.

Andrew-

*a funny thing about the ticket, the officer wrote it up as a 1986 Audi.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL Reply with quote

Bummer about the ticket. That deterioration in such short order is kinda shocking. I still have the 2" flex I bought from Frozenboost (I think it's an affiliate site with Silicone Intakes), though mine looks to be even lower quality than yours. I ended up buying a 2.25" flex from either Jegs or Summit, and it looks exactly like yours, which isn't very confidence inspiring.

Do you think actual vibrational flexing might have played a role in its demise? I ask because I opted to run a flex on both the X and Y planes in hopes of reducing harmonic vibrations back to the chassis. In my case, the flex I have like yours is on the X plane, so it's only carrying the torsional loads of the catalyst and muffler and a portion of the bend to the Y plane. Anyhoo, it's just an unproven theory I've had juggling around in my head for a while.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL Reply with quote

Thanks Zeit' this is very clearly from the braided part disintegrating from the heat and weather.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a quality control issue. Hope mine doesn't suffer a similar fate.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL Reply with quote

I'm very happy with every other product I've gotten from Siliconintakes, their product selection is great, prices are great, and service has always been great.

Maybe they just got stuck with an inferior part? I'm curious to see what they suggest.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL Reply with quote

The reply from siliconeintakes was this....

"Thank you for the information. While this normally wouldn't fall under our warranty replacement, as a courtesy we will be sending you a replacement 2.0" flex section, 4"."

So, I guess I get to cut out that defective one and weld in a new one. Hopefully it holds up a little longer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 19

Jump to: