Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are stock Vanagon seats still wanted?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brundl3fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Are stock Vanagon seats still wanted? Reply with quote

Hi, I know I could have placed an ad but I didn't want to waste time. I have no idea if people still restore/reupholster these or not. I replaced mine but did not discard the originals because it just seemed horrible.

What's the general feel? Are these still something people are looking for generally? Van is 84 and they are generally intact, upholstery is as to be expected.. deteriorated horse hair or whatever from that time period, etc.

Thanks!
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Are stock Vanagon seats still wanted? Reply with quote

I see a decent amount available on here, eBay and OfferUp ranging up $300+. There’s some brown leather seats in good shape local to me the seller said I could pick up for $100
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Are stock Vanagon seats still wanted? Reply with quote

Depends on the condition. Some late bay window bus owners might want them. I put some in my 76. So much better then original. I think I paid $200 for late Vanagon style in really good condition. I didn’t like the adjustable arm rests. Sold those for $75.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Are stock Vanagon seats still wanted? Reply with quote

Early seats with bad upholstery? I don't think there's much demand for them personally. But there's someone out there who will want them I'm sure. Maybe put them up for free or cheap locally. Shipping wouldn't be worth while for buyer or seller.

Later model seats with nice upholstery seem to be in high demand, and hold some pretty good value still.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Are stock Vanagon seats still wanted? Reply with quote

85 and earlier seats with no armrests really have no value. I think the non adjustable armrest are not as desirable as the late model adjustable units.

Those early horsehair seats are not worth fixing, The later foam based seats are are a better seat in my opinion.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Are stock Vanagon seats still wanted? Reply with quote

If the upholstery is bad, the steel seat rails/seat bases still have value. They are a critical part of making adapters to put in other types of seats.

-Rob
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Are stock Vanagon seats still wanted? Reply with quote

To the OP. Before tossing your seats. You might find people in the bay classifieds or local CL, FB market place, or whatever that would want your seats. You just might make a buck or two. Some bay owners want a wider seat and a period look. Sewfine makes plaid covers for Vanagon seats for bay owners that want the orginal look. These seats slip into the rails of late 76 and on.

mark janos wrote:
i have a 77 bay bus that I put vanagon seats in , they just slide right in , no modification needed

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Are stock Vanagon seats still wanted? Reply with quote

Threw out the adjustable arm rests? Why not make them into what you wanted?
DuncanS wrote:
I have no trouble with the stock non Westy seats. However i did modify them so the backrest is 1" farther back compared with the seat which gives me better thigh support. Only have a 29" inseam so I can understand why normal people have issues with these seats.

Absolutely love the arm rests and the super fine adjustment. However, used to have a carpel tunnel problem which made driving a bit uncomfortable at times. So I made the left armrest shown in photo.
Compare it with the stock rest clamped to the right for comparison and you can see that it's quite a bit longer and wider. AND super comfortable. It turns out that the foam doesn't need to be perfect as the cover smooths it all out. Worried that I couldn't replicate the firmness of the OG foam. Used some old seat stuff which is firmer than sleeping foam, but less than the stock arm rest foam. Turned out fine. Note in the second photo how my thumb is denting the relatively soft foam.

Then I liked this so much I recently did the right arm rest too and used sleeping foam. Even better. Soft arm rests are better than hard in my thinking.

Duncan
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Are stock Vanagon seats still wanted? Reply with quote

Here in europe the captain chairs with armrests going for crazy money. Like 500-700 EUR each.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Are stock Vanagon seats still wanted? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Threw out the adjustable arm rests? Why not make them into what you wanted?

Was this a response to my posts?

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Are stock Vanagon seats still wanted? Reply with quote

When I got my 90 one of the very first tasks before it was even running was to pull those front seats.

I offered them for free in the Karma thread and they were quickly snatched up.

They have no value according to my butt…….. but other butts like them.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Are stock Vanagon seats still wanted? Reply with quote

There is a donkey for every chair, translated from the Hebrew
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Are stock Vanagon seats still wanted? Reply with quote

I think we have a winner: 900GBP
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265431631459?hash=item3dccf54663:g:kVkAAOSwl4Vhp95q
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Are stock Vanagon seats still wanted? Reply with quote

Early seats and many Westy seats are not so desirable unless someone wants OEM stuff. I put '93 Eurovan seats in my '87 Westy but kept the originals in case a future buyer wants them. I think they're extremely uncomfortable and, after several hours of driving, painful.

Years ago I pulled nice non-Westy tan seats from an '86 and sold them for $300 + shipping.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Are stock Vanagon seats still wanted? Reply with quote

I had the stock Vinyl Non-Arm Rest seats in our Vanagon when we got it.
Hot in the Summer and Cold in the Winter, and no arm rests made it extra tiring for long trips or slow traffic that didn't allow you to switch body positions much since the Steering Wheel became more of a support for your upper body.
This meant I caught myself slumping over the wheel after awhile.
Not good.

So, I snatched up some later Grey Cloth Seats from a local Seller, and gave my Stock seats away.
Love the Dual Arm Rests, and with the Cloth we're pretty comfortable temp wise year around.

Would not want to go back to the Stock Seats.

Still need to get a later Rear Bench Seat to match them,,,, If I come across a local Vanagon being parted out complete with the body hardware for the later, foldable seat and the Cloth is in decent shape, I'll drive a few hours for that one.... Smile
Have to admit though that the tough old vinyl is holding up to our new Dog's paws very well since we haven't sewn or bought a Duck Cloth type Rear Bench Seat cover yet.
THAT would be job 1 before allowing him anywhere near a Cloth Rear Seat, unless we cover it with blankets as a temporary measure... Think
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Are stock Vanagon seats still wanted? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
When I got my 90 one-off the very first tasks before it was even running was to pull those front seats.

I offered them for free in the Karma thread and they were quickly snatched up.

They have no value according to my butt…….. but other butts like them.

Dave

Abscate wrote:
There is a donkey for every chair, translated from the Hebrew

And a monkey for every armrest.

Duncan
brundl3fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Are stock Vanagon seats still wanted? Reply with quote

I appreciate everyone's input. I will advertise them here for local pickup to see if I get any bites. Expand to FB or something if not. Really just want the space in my garage. Smile

They are the horse hair kind and the upholstery is not awful, no tears except some vinyl in the back. They would make an upgrade for a truly awful pair of seats. Smile
Diy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Are stock Vanagon seats still wanted? Reply with quote

Lake havasu,

Just advertise them as boat chairs!
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Are stock Vanagon seats still wanted? Reply with quote

Post a pic of them. Someone might like to buy the upholstery cloth. I know I might as I'm always looking for cloth for various projects that need to match what I have.

Duncan
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Are stock Vanagon seats still wanted? Reply with quote

These seats, with or without armrests (I happen to love the armrests) can readily be rebuilt, and are a significant upgrade for Bay Windows from 1976.5 through 1979. If I had another suitable vehicle, that is definitely one of the things I would do, and I'd be happy to pay for just the frames and build it from there.

Also, of course you know, never throw away anything original. Smile
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: