Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

21 Window restoration- stock v semi-custom?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

stock v semi custom
semi-custom
47%
 47%  [ 27 ]
stock
52%
 52%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 57

tommyc 21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: 21 Window restoration- stock v semi-custom? Reply with quote

Very Happy Hey Splity Friends,

I am at a cross roads. I have my '66 21 window split and am looking at getting it back on the road after 35 years. Yeah, that's right, I bought it in college around '78 and left it behind in CA with my brother, who ran the shit out of it as a delivery bus. It has not run since the mid 80s' and has been outside for the rain to leak in, since he trashed the sunroof.

So my question is restore stock or semi custom. SC means some nice BRMs, empis or fuchs, hot motor, plus new rust repair and rework the side metal the prior owner cut out for his desert trippin'. Maybe more but not total slammed so cal.

What say you? Stock or not. Not looking to go to full Pebble Beach nuts, and not looking to sell restored or not, but to have a great bus to cruz. My old college 23 window bus buddy says go stock. Sadly his total custom was stolen years ago. Thanks for your help. Couple fotos under my gallery
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not going to lower it a few inches at least don't run BRM'S or Fuchs only stock I think non lowered VW's on custom wheels look funny. See it too often on the east coast. But I will cast my vote above.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
petevdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I faced the same question. Chose semi. It only made sense that the mechanicals were upgraded to stop and drive in today's traffic.
Vintagespeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here. if you don't do any structural damages, but just lower it a bit, nice wheels and a fast engine, I'd say go for that.

All stock is good too, but that would require sourcing all parts and putting something back fully original is not easy. So many small changes every year that it's hard to get it just right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock as you can get, except for a nice big motor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted SC only because that's where I'm headed with my bus.

Stock height, stock color paint and stock wheels.
Semi custom interior (possible camper kit from Jeff in Florida), disc brakes (already on) and big motor (sitting in my garage).
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say semi-custom with the same comments as the other guys. Bigger motor, taller final drive - straight axle/IRS if you want - but standard ride height. You can fit an adjustable beam & adjustable spring plates and slamming it for shows or raising it back to normal for normal driving. I'd also fit better brakes, 12 volt conversion & seat belts (if it doesn't have them). Basically it will cruise easy on the highway/freeway and do longer trips. I'd also fit some sort of camping friendly interior. It can be as minimal just a rock'n'roll bed or Z-bed or an almost full camper interior barring the back cupboards. The trick is make it look as though they were all factory options.

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CoastalAirCooledVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wise man on thesamba once said "Rust never sleeps and stock never goes out of style".
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll always get your money back if you go stock. Custom, forget it.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a ton of bus over the years... The biggest thing is.. If you go semi-custom DO NOT do anything to the bus that can no be changed back to stock with only using hand tools. If it can bolt on and off, you can change it back if you change your mind or sell the car to someone else that wants it stock. I voted to keep it stock... Very Happy
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that original paint? That shit'd buff out!
Don't repaint it some custom color.

The currently fashionable thing to do would be to fix the rust, blend in the paint.
fix the hacked wheel arches (no longer cool)
ditch that tumor hanging off the corner. If you need an oil cooler, tuck it under out of view.
Get some stock front seats. replace the old custom interior interior with new stock interior.
If it is a titian red 66, that's the mesh platinum.

Find the sunroof mechanism.
find towel bars for front bumper, complete rear bumper.

As for running gear, some would go for slammed on (choice of rims here)
(how low? how much do you mind scraping? seriously. narrowed beams make a joltier ride) Have you driven a lowered bus?

Others would go for 1600 sp with stock suspension and tranny, and stock size tires and rims.
I find that 64-67 1 ton suspension with 1600 very drivable.
If you are okay with driving 55-65.

Some would go for a fatter motor (speed costs, how fast do you want to go?)

Depending on the rust, I might just make it drive as is.

It is your bus though. Smile Looks like a good start.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the original interior for a 67 Titian red bus, same color as yours:
Some people would put a camper kit in instead of having the back and middle seat. Depends if you are more into camping or taking friends & family out for a cruise.

Titian Red Fest:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=326563&highlight=titian
tommyc 21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I plan on keeping it the same colors, definitely fix the wheel wells and lose the twin corner coolers. I had a photo of the manufacturer plate but can't find it. I seem to recall it is sealing wax red but can't check as the Bus is in CA and I am in MN. My Vin is on the title is 255068185, which I think means Deluxe Microbus, unknown color, short middle seat. For some reason it has chrome bumbers but never had the overrides/towel racks. Lost to history?

I do want stock seats (those are '76 BMW 2002 seats in there). Again, my brother tossed the original panels and seats, but not the Z-bed).

FYI, sadly I sold my other 21 window when I moved to MN in 1980, along with a '62 or so 11 window. Wish I had them.
Shaun Murray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted semi-custom. A little over a year ago I was in the place with my '66. I decided to just go with flipped spindles and a straightaxle. I'm really glad I did, especially after a long roadtrip down to Florida. It cruises nice at highway speeds and the handling is much better. I didn't go with a narrowed beam because I wanted to keep it quick and easy to switch back if I ever decide to. I've always liked the look of stock bus 15" wheels, so I knew that's what I wanted to run. With these I don't need a narrowed beam.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

Clara, having a more powerful motor is not only or always about speed! Keeping with traffic, being able to carry its own weight plus load with ease and being able to "get out of the way" with a quickness are vital issues to consider nowadays. While I can do 100mph in my bus, and very steady at that, doesn't mean I do it constantly. Cool
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Clara wrote:

Clara, having a more powerful motor is not only or always about speed! Keeping with traffic, being able to carry its own weight plus load with ease and being able to "get out of the way" with a quickness are vital issues to consider nowadays. While I can do 100mph in my bus, and very steady at that, doesn't mean I do it constantly. Cool

Ditto on all that, and although mine only does 80 mph it cruises happily on the freeway.

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what makes you happy! If you do what others pick for you, how are you going to be happy with it when it's complete?

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Clara wrote:

Keeping up with traffic, if traffic is going more than 55-65, is, actually, about speed.
stock bus carries weight excellent,
What are you getting out of the way of? I tend to use the steering wheel and/or brakes to avoid hitting things.

The point is I wanted to remind the op that a bigger motor won't make the bus top speed go up to 80mph.
If traffic is going 75 and you want to go 75, you will want to change not just the engine but the gearing as well.
Obviously, if you drive 75-100mph, you did not just change the motor. Wink
There are other threads discussing the details for bigger motors and higher gearing ad infinitum, for lowered and stock height options.

Anyhow, with a VIN of 255068185 it is a 1965 deluxe, so ya that would be SWR/ Beige grey Smile

And the original interior would be mesh grey
here is a 65 standard in SWR/BG with mesh grey (bay middle seat):
rpattee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like stock suspension and aftermarket wheels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommyc 21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. Thanks Clara for the proper dating of the bus. I found the title and it is a '65. It is interesting to see how the voting is going 50/50 at this point.

On the topic of getting it on the road, I am not a metal worker, and have no time to learn or space to work. I have found KCW in Grand Junction Colo. and they seem great, and reasonable. I was in a shop in Las Vegas a few weeks ago-good folks too at Classic VeeDubs. I checked with the guys West Coast Classics, but they were soooper expensive. $90K to fully restore to new stock, plus my bus, and I get... a bus they can sell for $95K. Why would I do that? I am not crapping on them, it just did not make any sense. This is going to be a weekend cruiser, not a pebble Beach museum piece for some rich dude.

So I could use some help on an experienced body shop for metal work and paint. That part will be as stock as I can get. I am intchin' to get started. Any suggestions for a quality shop anywhere north of TJ and all the way east to Minnesota? How was your experience?
tommyc 21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting up some more pics.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=tommyc+21
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: