Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My car is gone. My 66 was stolen in Hawthorne CA yesterday
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SgtSamy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not give up!

By the way, this is what I have in my car:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://dx.com/p/gps-gsm-gprs-tracker-for-personal-remote-positioning-29284

I can track my girlfriend when she take my car and I can also track a potential thief if he steal my car. I HATE THIEFS.
Thomas Pedigo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of coarse...sorry to hear about the theft.
On the plus side, I lost one in San Diego about 1992.I automatically assumed it was gonna end up south of the border.11 months later, my detective called to tell me it has been recovered in LA.It had been fixed-up to twice as good of shape and set me back a whopping $130 in impound fees to reclaim it back.
Not all thefts have to end on a bad note...

Good luck,man!
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas Pedigo wrote:
On the plus side, I lost one in San Diego about 1992.I automatically assumed it was gonna end up south of the border.11 months later, my detective called to tell me it has been recovered in LA.It had been fixed-up to twice as good of shape and set me back a whopping $130 in impound fees to reclaim it back.

Good luck,man!

This happened to my friends brother, when I was younger, when one of his cars was stolen.
graysky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully lightning will strike twice and I'll be glad to spend $130 to get it back.

Thanks for the positive note.

Thomas Pedigo wrote:

Good luck,man!
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my '67 stolen from a guard-gated college parking lot in the middle of the day in 1979. I cried and cried, thinking my baby was gone forever. Five days later the impound lot called to say come and get my car. The police had pulled the thief over as he drove it less than 10 miles from the scene of the crime. Of course my lovely 8-track player and all tapes, bitchen beach chair and favorite bathing suit were gone and my car smelled of pee, beer, cigarettes, and french fries but I got it back. I scrubbed that car for days to get the smell of car rape out of it. For sure check out the Pomona Swap and any local shows. Don't give up hope. The VW community is huge and aware now. Lots of Internet eyes will be searching.
'60 Single cab
'70 Bitchen 3-speed Schwinn
graysky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suebug wrote:
I had my '67 stolen from a guard-gated college parking lot in the middle of the day in 1979. I cried and cried, thinking my baby was gone forever. Five days later the impound lot called to say come and get my car. The police had pulled the thief over as he drove it less than 10 miles from the scene of the crime. Of course my lovely 8-track player and all tapes, bitchen beach chair and favorite bathing suit were gone and my car smelled of pee, beer, cigarettes, and french fries but I got it back. I scrubbed that car for days to get the smell of car rape out of it. For sure check out the Pomona Swap and any local shows. Don't give up hope. The VW community is huge and aware now. Lots of Internet eyes will be searching.

Thanks for sharing another happy ending. I hope you got the smells out. And yes, the VW community has really overwhelmed me with their support these last few days.
Thomas Pedigo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SgtSamy wrote:

I can track my girlfriend.

WTF? Shocked Very Happy
Vito85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brother, I'm so so sorry to read this, I so hope you get her back, I feel your pain,
I agree with you that the insurance money will not remplace the loss, but at least will give you something, but may not be the real value

I;m so thinking now on get a gps tracker, I do have an alarm but you never know

I'm in texas, I will keep my eyes open

best wishes brother

Sincerely
mllnsr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: That car is SWEET Reply with quote

I am sorry to hear about your car, I am working on my 1970 Camper and it is therapy for me and makes me smile with every little thing that I do to her, I could not imagine what I would do if someone took it away from me.

Keep your head up, I hope you get it back soon. If for some reason you dont get it back, dont let the loosers stop you from getting another one they are not worth it and somewhere out there is a beetle that needs some TLC. I wish you all the luck getting it back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
graysky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the lesson here is that anyone who has been thinking about beefing up their security system should do it asap. I know it was always on my to-do list, but I never seemed to get around to actually doing it. Boy, I sure wish I had now.

Vito85 wrote:
Brother, I'm so so sorry to read this, I so hope you get her back, I feel your pain,
I agree with you that the insurance money will not remplace the loss, but at least will give you something, but may not be the real value

I;m so thinking now on get a gps tracker, I do have an alarm but you never know

I'm in texas, I will keep my eyes open

best wishes brother

Sincerely
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

graysky wrote:
I guess the lesson here is that anyone who has been thinking about beefing up their security system should do it asap. I know it was always on my to-do list, but I never seemed to get around to actually doing it. Boy, I sure wish I had now.

Dont beat yourself up... it would have maybe slowed them down 10-30 seconds if they really wanted it.

Id be out pounding the street looking every chance I had.
Flyers would be posted, ask some of the mechanics nearby, and ask to have flyers posted inside the tool trucks that stop by the shops. Somebody knows.. offer a reward.. people are greedy.. period.

I have great repect for the police depts world wide, and not to be Johnny rain cloud here, but the police are not out looking for your car. If the they do happen to find it its by chance and luck.

Old cars in general are easy to swipe, no steering lock, a quick jump of the coil and starter and its gone.

Remote (hidden) battery cut out, yanking the dist rotor or disabling by other means helps..... you keep some sanity.. Still wont stop a smooth talking thief with a hook or flatbead.. or worse.... know how..
Using a high quality cable and lock from an axle to a pole will slow them down ... Just saying...
You gotta think like a thief... and a motorcycle/bicycle rider...

Yeah...I get the "you're nuts" statement a lot.... Wink

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
All gun posts aside.

Truly trying to secure an old Beetle is a joke. Locks keep honest people honest, thats it. A thief could care less about a lock. Alarms most of the time are ignored and unpredictable, so not too many people pay atention to them anymore. More of an annoyance.
How many times are you in a parking lot and hear an alarm or horn blaring, and seldom look?

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
tow tucks and roll backs are a car thiefs dream. Snatch and go, and nobody knows nothin....Even with the alarm screamin....

Best security is a really good insurance company you can trust. Wait, Confused Hell cant really depend on that can we... Remember this statement....AGREED VALUE...

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

The only thing you can truly do is try to make your car less desireable, using theft deterrents so the thief will move on to the car next to yours, whether it be a smash and grab, or vehicle theft.

Nothing will stop the thief with a hook and rollback unless the owner of the car is nearby. :2gunfire: yippee ki yay mother f...ker

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:16 am; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about your car. I had my trailer with an oval body and lots of parts inside stolen back in May. I don't know how the police operate in your area, but I found out the hard way that down here most of them could not care less about this sort of stuff. My advice to you is do everything that YOU can do and don't put too much faith in the police. Post flyers, put out the word (as you have done here), play "Kojak" and canvas the area, look for other cameras in the area or along their escape route that may have caught a better angle of the thieves. I was surprised to find several local businesses that allowed me to view their surveillance video. However, the fact is that the police do have excellent resources and authority that most people don't enjoy, so keep pressure on them too. Remember, the police are supposed to work for us! The day I filed my police report I spoke to a detective and she said they would be in touch. Over a month later I hadn't heard back, so I called and discovered that they hadn't done anything at all with my case. The case was reassigned to more competent officers, but by that time there was little for them to go on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates with the security footage??
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
graysky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Any updates with the security footage??

Still working on that. With school just starting the tech guy who would get the video for us has been overwhelmed with getting the whole school online. Frustrating for me but understandable under the circumstances.
jvulich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on it yet?
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suebug wrote:

Car Rape Smile Maybe it was God's way of saying 8-tracks are crap. Probably that same year my car was stolen and the radio was taken. The car was found with no radio but all the 8-tracks still there.

I didn't replace the radio; The car was a '74 Gremlin.

crvc
graysky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvulich wrote:
Any word on it yet?

Nothing. I've had a number of people call or text saying they saw a car the same color but all of them were a different car. The same 1967 was sighted three times. Even though all the calls have been dead ends it was still nice that people took the time to contact me. I'm hoping to (finally) get the surveillance video today or tomorrow. Probably too late to get the car back, but maybe there will be enough there for the police to recognize one or both of the thieves.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's insane. I think I would have insisted that someone get the video footage right away, Labor Day weekend or no Labor Day weekend. Like you implied, the longer you wait, the poorer the chances of recovery....
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well don't give up! there was a major Mopar theft ring about 10 years ago. guys were stealing high end cars. they were found within 20 miles of where they were stolen.
graysky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
That's insane. I think I would have insisted that someone get the video footage right away, Labor Day weekend or no Labor Day weekend. Like you implied, the longer you wait, the poorer the chances of recovery....

Believe me I tried to get the video right away, tried to jump through all the hoops to try to hasten the process but have run into excuse after excuse and a multitude of promises to have it "tomorrow", but as each promise has been broken or delayed and each day has slipped by I just had to back off for my own sanity. At this point and after so much time has passed I have no hope of the car being recovered, the only benefit left from obtaining the video is the slim hope that it can at least lead to an arrest. I am very discouraged.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: