Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Euro Style RV furniture suppliers in the USA?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Euro Style RV furniture suppliers in the USA? Reply with quote

So I have been thinking of building a 'stealth camper' to haul my motorcycles to vintage races, and do limited camping (at the track, or w/o bikes at a campground with bathrooms/showers). It also has to hide the bikes if I ever stay at a hotel overnight.

As such I would need space in the van for two motorcycles and enough space for convertible bed/seating, oven and fridge. That rules out a panel Vanagon - and I don't like staying at a hotel with my doka and a motorcycle on the back in full view overnight... Shocked

I am basically thinking of an equivalent to a Westy setup in a long euro van like the new Ram Promaster (FIAT Ducato) that is coming out.

That said, I have only found one company making 'Vanagon' style RV furninshing:
http://www.reimo.com/en/

Are there any other companies out there making furnishings that can be adapted?
I am basically looking for
3 person bench seat that converts into two person bed - preferably with TUV crash rating and seat belts
Combo stove fridge sink unit

Any advice is appreciated, but I don't do trailers, lol....
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check some rv forums and bus conversions. RVFORUMS.NET has a list of rv salvage yards. Flexsteel is one manufacturer off the top of my head.

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say to just pull out a drawing board, a saw and get at it.
but then you mention TUV and not sure if you're allowed to do that.
the seatbelt anchors are back there so you can always put them in.

for hauling bikes I'd get a eurovan with a flat floor. preferrably a long wheel base as the short ones are short but doable.
how about a canvas or metal cover for the Doka when bike haulin?

sky is the limit with a little imagination.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

Reimo also has aluminum corner profiles for plywood, so I am not ruling out 'rolling my own' for storage - but the seat/bed with seat belts is a big deal and the stove/fridge sink too. I am thinking I can may buy a used westy, but Reimo makes those things for new VW's (T4 & T5), too.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seating isn't rocket science. Probably none of it really meeting DOT's safety standards........ I would guess that the most important component is the seat belts fastened to the floor. You'd also want head rests to prevent whiplash? Tough to do for a folding bed........

You can get the hinges.......... http://www.reimo.com/en/58001-benchfit_w_raisdeng_comp/

You could take the photos to any competent Formica/laminate cabinet shop, they could create whatever you desire.

I'd be willing to bet they would ship to the USA.....

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you located?

The only current USA available VW you are going to fit two motorcycles in is a short wheelbase Eurovan weekender.

The only long wheelbase Eurovan in the USA was the Winnebago camper conversions.

Don't think there is any way to fit a camping conversion inside AND two motorcycles.

But if you still want to look visit www.VWT4Forum.co.uk for ideas. TONS of conversions there, way more than anything happening in the USA. There are probably 15 companies over in the uk making beds, cabinets, Poptops etc for the T4 van. (Which by the way, Westfalia make a full camper version for the rest of the world so the interiors aren't exact "vanagon style" anywhere but here Wink )

With a Eurovan weekender Poptop you would have a full pullout bed/3 person seat stock, but no way could you put a motorcycle in at the same time as the seat. With the seat out you could probably fit two bikes and sleep in the popup! (Whole reason I bought mine)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only stealth camper I think you could put bikes AND a lower bed in would be a LONG Sprinter. To sleep in a Eurovan of any size with motorcycles inside you would need the top popped! Wink

Here are a couple of shots of an F650 Dakar inside my 2002 Eurovan GLS before I converted it to a poptop.

supersooner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need a sprinter (dodge mercedes freightliner) if you want
to store the motorcycles in a camper. Google for sprinter camper conversions. Last time I was looking, some fella in Colorado had
a setup where he carried his bikes inside and still had room for a westy styled interior.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprinter, or the Ram ProMaster (Fiat Ducato, Peugeot Boxer, Citroen Jumper/Relay). I saw a fair number of those vans in Berlin and Helsinki earlier this year, they looked pretty nice. So did the full-size Ford Transit van (*not* Transit Connect) that's replacing the Econoline, but that's not due to hit the US until 2014...

I'm just a bit excited to see more European-type vans hitting the market. Now if we could just get VW to bring over the T5 and/or the Crafter...
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read my original post, I said I was interested in the Ram Promaster, which is the USA market FIAT Ducato:

It is larger inside than a Sprinter. With 159" wheelbase, it is 76" inside height with 12' long load interior. That is long enough for 2 motorbikes 8', and 4' for bed and stove/fridge/sink.

Basically I have seen the Sprinter conversions that carry bikes and want to do the same with the Promaster.

So does any company in the USA sell new seat/beds or rv furniture, vw/euro style (lots of searches I do turn up fat-assed Winnebago rv lazyboy crap....)
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad -- I saw "euro van" and my mind went to "EuroVan". Embarassed
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the whole thread might work better on Srinter-Source.com. Those guys have to convert more cargo vans than the vw guys here.
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: