Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Joe Crockett has passed away
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Joe Crockett has passed away Reply with quote

Joe and I shared a hobby of toy trains. He had American Flyer, I had Lionel and some American Flyer. More than once, we met and talked about the trains. Then the conversation would move into VW stuff. I really miss that guy. He he helped a lot of us with our cars. But more important than that, he made a lot of us smile and laugh.

Pete Keesling
Driving a VW every day.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BT Racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Joe Crockett has passed away Reply with quote

I'm looking for a photograph of Joe and his '51 Split. I'm conducting the research for a article and photo shoot for AirMighty Megascene Magazine and his Split.

Thanks,

Alex Arredondo
Alex Flatfourmedia on Facebook

[email protected]
Z-Bar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Joe Crockett has passed away Reply with quote

the one and fucking only! still holds the rank of coolest guy i ever knew...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

CorvallisKevin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Joe Crockett has passed away Reply with quote

This is coming way late, as I lost touch many years ago. But...I'll miss you, Joe.

I met Joe and Barbara around 2002 through my friends. We're all from Glendale and we'd been buying parts from Joe for years at Pomona and other shows. Eventually, Joe and Barb invited all of us up to BBQ at their place in Goleta, which we did many times. I ended up moving to Carpinteria, and then to SLO, so I would often stop by their place on the weekends. I always made sure to bring some quality beer when stopping by. That's why Joe told me that I was allowed to show up unannounced. I helped him in moving motors and parts boxes around sometimes, and I ended up giving them part of my record collection, since I didn't have a turntable. They were stoked! Lots of quality old punk rock and 60's/70's albums.

When Joe got his '50 Standard, he took us all over to see it at his friend's garage. While we were drooling over it, he turned to me and said, "Get in, you're driving." So we drove around the neighborhood, and I had a huge smile on my face. Joe was happy to share that experience with me. It's the only split window I've ever driven, and I'll never forget it.

With the losses of Joe, Dana and Randy over the past decade, there are truly some huge shoes in the vintage VW community that may never be filled.

I miss you brother! See you on the other side!
Kevin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: