Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy faucet
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Westy faucet Reply with quote

Please forgive the stupid question. My 67 SO-42 was missing its faucet but I got two old ones in a bag with the bus. Which one of these is the correct faucet for the bus?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

or

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks!
german_metal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom one looks correct. At least that is what is on my fridge!
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old 66 walk through westy came with the style in the top picture originally.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh-oh....one vote each. Where's Crofty and his '65 Westy when we need him?

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toyvergnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a second owner of a low milage 67 Westy. Mine had the faucet in the lower picture. I have seen the top style but on earlier buses.
Philip Amon
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like maybe the top pic is 66 and down, the other 67 and up? I know for a fact the top one came on 66's.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
Hella Bro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke mine. Its the top one.
bigbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sounds like maybe the top pic is 66 and down, the other 67 and up? I know for a fact the top one came on 66's.

I reckon this is right, I have the top one in my Nov '65 westy (1966 model year)it's a Whale pump, the same one fitted to bulkhean Devon conversions of the same period. Maybe the bottom one is '67 model year only?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the one on the top in my Westy. My guess is that the bottom one would be correct. I have seen those in 67's, and off the the top of my head I haven't seen the other one in a '67. They should mount differently, I would check the top of your fridge to see where the holes are and what lines up.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the bottom one on my 66, but my bus may be a late year model. however i do not have any signs of 67 parts on my bus..
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot guys. The "extra parts bag" contained two of the bottom style pump with the flat lever, and the holes in the cabinet line up with that style as well. So I guess that is the correct one. I will take the pump apart and see why it is dead. When you shake it, it sounds like there is a BB rattling around inside. Mad

Has anyone had any success repairing/rebuilding these? I know a similar one is available aftermarket but of course the lever and the spout do not match and I doubt the guts can be transplanted straight across.

Chris
busadick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Westy Faucet Reply with quote

Major woody, I am missing the spout on my faucet. It is the same as your top picture (white body-Whale is the manufacturer). Since you are likely using the silver faucet, are you willing to sell the top one?

Please let me know, thanks!

Busadick
busadick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Westy Faucet Reply with quote

Major Woody, my e-mail is [email protected]. Interested in buying your west faucey (the plastic, white one).

Thanks,

Busadick
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich/Busadick, sweet signon name.

Looks like there is a misunderstanding. As I said, I have two of the lower style faucets only, and one has a broken spout. I don't have any of the white plastic faucets at all. If I could help you I would, but I don't have the kind you need.

I took those faucet pictures at Kelley Park. They aren't pictures of my own faucets.

Good luck with your search.
german_metal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to cause more confusion, my Westy interior came out of a '65. Even the Westy label states it was made in '65. And mine has the bottom faucet. So maybe Westfalia had both and used whatever they felt like that day?!?!
dezVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the lower one in my 67 sundial. i "rebuilt" it and got it working again. the sound is probably a bb, mine had a glass marble in it. the marble is what causes the suction. open it up carefully and it is pretty clear. i fashioned an o-ring where the rubber had crusted out and now it has suction again. i would be more than willing to snap a pic if you really need it, if i remember it was pretty easy to take off and open up
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update report!
I did open the MFr up and sho-nuff, there was a fancy glass marble bouncing around in the bottom, with orange swirlies! Shocked I cleaned the guts and lubed the seal up real good with vaseline, took the marble out and ordered a 3/16" double barbed nylon check valve from McMaster-Carr for less than $4. Put that in the line between the pump and the tank and voila, now it works perfectly with water every time, even after sitting for several hours. Very Happy Now I need to find a valve to replace the drain at the bottom of the tank. That was completely missing when I got the bus.
jgater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Faucet Reply with quote

My "stock" '67 westy had the top unit.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update!

The original pump with the flat chrome lever is still available brand new as of January 2008.

You can get it here at RVShop.com, and if I were you I would pick up a spare--you never know how long these will be on the market.

They still have the stupid marble in the bottom to act as a check valve, and it still works as crappily as ever. I suggest you pick up a checkvalve here and install it in the line if you really intend to use the faucet for camping. It is a better choice than the one at McMaster-Carr (lower cracking force required).
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the top one in early '67s and Heidi has it in her later '67. Yeah, RV stores still carry the pump-like-a-madman pumps that lose their prime. The early one pumps in both directions when it's working right. There used to be a rebuild kit for the early Whale one from West Marine although they show it vertical. They are all over in the sailboat world.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: