Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

I'm still using Ting on my Coban TK-103 tracker, for seven years now. This is a Ting GSM (read: T-Mobile) device.

I got an interesting email from Ting yesterday about preparing for the 5G network upgrade, which will naturally crowd out 2G/3G devices from the frequency band, and require 2G/3G shutdown.

https://ting.com/blog/3g-shutdown-and-volte/?utm_s...5-74941797

That tells me the Coban device will probably need replacement by the end of this year.

kourt
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Spot just billed me for my fourth year of using the SPOT Trace device. They auto-charged my card for $224 plus taxes....

I like the product, it works well but I dislike their worst-of-the-worst cable company practices of jacking up prices until you call and ask them to return to reasonable prices.

Ugh. I let mine lapse for 6 months and it was $120 to reactivate a few months ago (same as new customer it seems). Unless Iím missing something, thereís no incentive at all to auto renew year to year - just the opposite. Thatís so not cool.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Spot just billed me for my fourth year of using the SPOT Trace device. They auto-charged my card for $224 plus taxes. I called, waited on-hold for 20 minutes, asked for the rates offered to new customers and they dropped the charge to $119 plus taxes.

I like the product, it works well but I dislike their worst-of-the-worst cable company practices of jacking up prices until you call and ask them to return to reasonable prices.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

That does look promising.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

Join the Vanagon Rescue Squad on the VanAlert app.
http://vanalert.com/

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371
dreaming_of_traveling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone tried this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z5QX3YN?

Seems like a decent option to connect a SIM card. Not a lot of reviews on Amazon though.
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

I don't think I've seen this one here before. While looking around at alarms I came across this...it's a unit that has to be connected to a compatible alarm or remote starter. You get smartphone control of the alarm/remote starter/locks and further stuff such as battery level/turning on heated seats even idle runtime. You also get GPS tracking. The first year is free and subsequent years are $39.95 USD or $99.95 USD for 3 years (though I've seen it listed @ $29.95 USD/year on ebay units). You can also have multiple vehicles on the one account. Thoughts?

Cost is around $115 USD
https://www.carlinkusa.com/ASCL6/

This compatible alarm is $60ish USD
https://www.voxxelectronics.com/prestige/?sku=APS57Z

Link

flyboyaviator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Much appreciated Kourt.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Ting uses T-Mobile as a carrier for the GSM network. Ting subscribers have two options for networks, CDMA (Sprint) or GSM (T-Mobile).

My TK-103 tracker has a Ting GSM SIM card and still works fine in most urban areas and on major roads.

kourt
flyboyaviator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Ting just to offer 2G at one time, don't know now? any knows of this service? Thanks.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

I've been looking at adding a second tracker. I'd like to know if anyone has found a good (or at least functional) unit that works on Verizon (CDMA) network, for when I roam into areas that are poorly covered by AT&T.

-bobby
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

^^^ It looks like they want you to only use their company to monitor the unit.

The one I use is much less up front cost and does everything this one does but works on a regular cell carrier sim so no lock in to a company. Not sure that this one is better. YMMV.

Mine is similar to this. (Be sure it supports 3g)

https://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Tracker-Anti-Theft-...mp;sr=8-20

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

anyone have any insights to this unit?
http://www.rzrtracker.com/

$165 US or $195 Can

Quote:
This waterproof All-weather GPS tracker is an ideal solution for any side by side, boat, motorcycle, ATV, trailers, heavy equipment. Track anything with a constant 12V or 24V power source with a simple 2 wire install. (12v+ & ground)

This device has a built in back-up battery if tampered with or disconnected from the battery source. This battery will charge when the vehicle is turned on. It will also text(SMS) and email you if its been disconnected or Tampered with. Be alerted if the battery on your vehicle drops below 11.4 volts!

Users can setup up to 10 Geo-fences and be notified if this vehicle leave or enters the zone. Geo-fences can be over layed on each other to notify multiple users of possible theft!

With unlimited locates, text(SMS), emails & alerts its hard to beat our price!

RZRTracker w/ Bracket Kit
Bracket kit includes 1 Aluminium bracket made to fit 1ft. of doublesided VHB tape for mounting directly on unit. 1 Heat shrink tube, 3 Self tapping screws, 3 metal rubber washers, 2 zip ties, extra screw for bracket. 2 Ring terminals to fit most bus panels. 3 line holding clamps to help hide/run cable.

GPS tracking device is waterproof and weatherproof. This device exceeds mil spec standards for shock and vibration.

You can locate the device on demand at any time active, set up geofences, get text or email alerts, and more!

Tracking devices size is approximately the size of a business card. Making it easy to hide

This waterproof GPS tracker includes 1 YEAR of Unlimited Service, Free Shipping and NO EXPENSIVE MONTHLY FEES & NO CONTRACTS!

Tracking devices are back by the power of Calamp Industries a parent company to Lojack with over 5 million devices and 30 Years of experience.

Quote:
RZRTracker w/ Bracket Kit
Bracket kit includes 1 Aluminium bracket made to fit 1ft. of doublesided VHB tape for mounting directly on unit. 1 Heat shrink tube, 3 Self tapping screws, 3 metal rubber washers, 2 zip ties, extra screw for bracket. 2 Ring terminals to fit most bus panels. 3 line holding clamps to help hide/run cable

looks like additional years of service are $20/yr $1.60/month

Quote:
The price for 1 year of service is $20.00. Purchase 2 years of service for $40.00. We will send you and email reminder of 3 days prior to the cancellation of service. You can add a year of service at any time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

So I have a few options that may work but maybe not ideal.

I have a few old iPhones.

First option, requires active sim with data. So not so cheap. But Find My iPhone is basically a gps locator but relies on cell tower coverage.
The phone could be hard wired into a hiding spot in the van.

Option #2.
This one is essentially free!
Use an old phone with a SIM card. Just needs a phone number, does not need to have an active plan. The phone will still connect to the network. YOU cannot track the phone; But, if your van is stolen, and has the phone on board, the phone can be Pinged by police and itís location can be found by them. I donít know that it could be real time gps tracked this way, or would just have to be Pinged frequently if the van is moving.
Iím going to do some more research into this one. But may be a good option.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

So, a bit more testing, the only thing I can really get a consistent response from is actually phoning the number. It replies via text, the location, and a Google Maps link.

That's all I was expecting and all I have ever gotten.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
ó dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Mine works the same way. Call it and it texts location. I think T mobile supports 2g. My Verizon does not.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Just north of the Metro, I get t-mobile signal, and I get the reply of the location. Seems to be working, even though I've gotten several 'password error' messages on reply to my txt to get location.

Better than nothing, but I think I will still keep looking for an additional unit. Placed me on the map exactly where i have the unit sitting, Interesting.

The interface is hard to understand. I've gotten little further than a single response with my location. Otherwise 'password error' every time. Management web config is not helpful.

Note: When I call the phone number associated with the SIM, I get a voice message that the user I am trying to call is not connected to the network. I'd guess the 2G/3G/4G network stuff is still a big question. I have no experience with how to differentiate. The only consistent reply I can get is to issue the 'restore factory setting send messages begin123456' which replies immediately with a lot of interesting information, but not much I know what to do with.

Wonder how many txt's came with that 5$ card..

Later:

So, a bit more testing, the only thing I can really get a consistent response from is actually phoning the number. It replies via text, the location, and a Google Maps link.

I'm going to mount this one somewhere with little or no metal facing the sky.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

It says in the description it is 2G

"Note:
This tracker will work with 2G SIM card or 3G/4G SIM card with 2G network."

I wouldn't bother.

Mark
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

If it is 2g I think you will have issues as most providers dropped 2g coverage.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

This one here looks to be the one shown 2 posts above mine and the description and Amazon reviewers also show mixed results with it. (Some people however just are unlucky though I want to see 90% or better success ratings.)
https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-Tracking-Motorcycl...mp;sr=1-31

Got this. Got the $5 SIM on the GSM network (looks to be the only one network for this unit). Attempting to get it to respond. Looking like it is 2G, at least from the instructions sheet. Anyway, I am in Verizon territory at the moment. I will plug it in in Minneapolis, and see if GSM links there.
DeLvxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

I recently set up an old iphone as a gps tracker for my van. I picked up a cheap data only SIM card ($5/month), set up a separate account for the van and shared location with my main account. I can use either "find my phone" or find friends to see the location. One nice feature about "find my friends" is that you can set up you phone to alert you when the van is moved.

The phone is connected to a hidden USB charger connected to my house battery. Seems to work pretty well so far.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 29

Jump to: