Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Ping says they try to keep it simple and not have features that most don't use to extend battery life. I'm good with what they offer. Never used geo fencing but if I had to always change settings to change the fence or my driving would trigger alerts, I'd stop using that feature fast.
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

The two units I posted recently claim they are WCDMA/3G GSM. I might try one of them soon.

Ed
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

erdonline wrote:
I found this unit on eBay from China. It's also available on Amazon, but costs more and still comes from China. It says it's 2G/3G:

CCTR 805

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3G-WCDMA-GPS-Vehicle-Track...3641.l6368

I think this is 3G on CDMA and 2G on GMS.

"Built in 3G WCDMA & 2G GSM module & u-Blox GPS module"

I like to use ATT so 2G on GMS is a no go for me. Sad

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

erdonline wrote:

And one more that specifically says it's 3G, and comes with a SIM (doesn't say through which carrier) and one year of service.:

TRK133 3G

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3G-Trackimo-Travel-Tra...SwZVlXtcuX

I checked this one and it has to go thru the company server in China(?) before it sends the info to you. Not liking that. I need something that uses SMS (text) direct to my cell phone. Not fond of the server based trackers.... but I may be looking for a unicorn..... might be a while before those older trackers get redesigned for 3G....

edit, after looking online for a while I noticed that many/all of the SMS notification units that say 3G are really 3G for CDMA and 2G on GMS. Read the fine print....

The Western Syncro build
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
erdonline wrote:

And one more that specifically says it's 3G, and comes with a SIM (doesn't say through which carrier) and one year of service.:

TRK133 3G

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3G-Trackimo-Travel-Tra...SwZVlXtcuX

I checked this one and it has to go thru the company server in China(?) before it sends the info to you. Not liking that. I need something that uses SMS (text) direct to my cell phone. Not fond of the server based trackers.... but I may be looking for a unicorn..... might be a while before those older trackers get redesigned for 3G....

edit, after looking online for a while I noticed that many/all of the SMS notification units that say 3G are really 3G for CDMA and 2G on GMS. Read the fine print....

You say GMS- do you mean GSM?

WCDMA is a term used for a 3G technology on GSM, not a CDMA product. It's confusing nomenclature, but these are all GSM products. Only recent, higher-end cell phones use CDMA and GSM technology simultaneously. (Google Nexus and iPhone 7, for example) LTE Sprint and Verizon devices use CDMA for voice and a SIM card for LTE.

If the tracker says WCDMA, it's 3G technology using a GSM sim card.

Some of these services charge per month, some after giving a year for free. I wonder if that is just for their mapping software and web site use. There are several free apps that will text a location that you can open in Google maps.

An alternative that some have used is to leave a cheap cell phone hidden and on silent in the van, plugged into an outlet to keep charged. Granted, you won't have many of the features of tracker, but you can always use Google location services to find the phone's (and consequently the van's) location.

Ed
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

erdonline wrote:
An alternative that some have used is to leave a cheap cell phone hidden and on silent in the van, plugged into an outlet to keep charged. Granted, you won't have many of the features of tracker, but you can always use Google location services to find the phone's (and consequently the van's) location.
Ed

This is what I was thinking of instead of buying the Spot Trace I have. But in order for the Google Device Locate services to work, you have to be logged into Google and have a data plan to do that. You could turn off automatic updates and stuff so you wouldn't really be using much if any data, but is there a service that gives you a basic data plan cheap enough to make this a good option?
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

I think I'm going to buy the CCTR-805. It's $70 and has the option to use the web, the company's app, or sms for alerts.

Ed
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Yes I meant to type GSM.

This is what I read about CDMA and GSM.

xxxx
CDMA and GSM networks are two types of cellular phone networks and generally if you have a device made for one, it can't be used on the other.

In the US, Sprint®* and Verizon run on CDMA networks while AT&T and T-Mobile run on GSM networks. Ting runs on both.
xxxx

I want to use GSM so it will work in Canada and south of the border using my ATT GoPhone SIM. Am I incorrect thinking that?

The Western Syncro build
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

I just bought the PING...hoping for big things w/ it...I'll update after I get it (July 2017) ...and hope the Seattle thieves dont migrate north.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

dobryan: Can you fill me in on the unit you got delivery of on Friday? (Mine came Friday as well, but I didn't open it yet) Are you going to use it? Is it what you expected? And will it be useful for a while still? I think some one said "Ting" sim will work for a while, but you use atNt, maybe?

Thanks Dave,

-bobby
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
dobryan: Can you fill me in on the unit you got delivery of on Friday? (Mine came Friday as well, but I didn't open it yet) Are you going to use it? Is it what you expected? And will it be useful for a while still? I think some one said "Ting" sim will work for a while, but you use atNt, maybe?

Thanks Dave,

-bobby

The unit I got on Friday was a later version of the one I had. It does not work on an AT&T Sim card since it appears to need a 2G signal.

https://www.amazon.com/Real-time-tracker-TK103A-an...k129040-20

The Western Syncro build
MrBuelterman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Does anyone know if you can turn an old Iphone into a tracker?
Maybe with an app?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

If you are willing to pay the monthly charge, sure. Find my iPhone becomes Find My Rig…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Yes I meant to type GSM.

This is what I read about CDMA and GSM.

xxxx
CDMA and GSM networks are two types of cellular phone networks and generally if you have a device made for one, it can't be used on the other.

In the US, Sprint®* and Verizon run on CDMA networks while AT&T and T-Mobile run on GSM networks. Ting runs on both.
xxxx

I want to use GSM so it will work in Canada and south of the border using my ATT GoPhone SIM. Am I incorrect thinking that?

These trackers all use GSM with a SIM card. The thing that confuses some people is that WCDMA is a 3G variety of GSM, not CDMA.

All these devices will still work for a few more years with T-Mobile or an MVNO that uses T-Mobile, but they don't have the coverage in most areas that AT&T has. If you want to use the cheapest plan available on AT&T's network, I believe the best deal is H2O Wireless. A $10 service plan is good for three months and texts are 5 cents each. You can order SIM cards online for one cent.

Just a word about the GSM vs. CDMA issue- what you stated is true for the most part. It's not as relevent to the tracker discussion, but just to clarify- It used to be that devices had to be GSM or CDMA. But the latest Nexus phones and iPhone can use either network. They have celluler radios in them for both technlogies.

When you say "Ting runs on both" I just want to clarify one small thing- Ting actually runs on either- you have to choose when you use them. You can use a Sprint device, as they run CDMA on the Sprint netowrk, or you can buy a SIM from them which will run on T-Mobile.

With regard to the tracker, I want to double-check on the two that I found that run on 3G GSM that they will use GPS location and text a phone number without having to use their servers if you don't want to. I want to confirm that they'll work without a data plan. I'm pretty sure that you only need text.

Ed
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

^^^

Ed, I found this explanation on-line so it must be true. Razz

<<<<<<<<
One of the biggest difficulties with purchasing phones for your prepaid carrier is compatibility.

Terms like GSM, CDMA, 4G, WCDMA will confuse your brain so much!

Well, take it easy and we will walk you through.

WCDMA – Wide Band Code Division Multiple Access (UMTS)

Before we talk about 4G or GSM. You must know WCDMA which stands for Wide Band Code Division Multiple Access. It is a third generation network developed by NTT Docomo and from 2G network CDMA. There are no cellular companies that are not based on WCDMA except Sprint (however they are slowly converting). WCDMA is a standard for 3G network. It was not a revolutionary upgrade to network, but by having the standard based on 2G GSM/EDGE. It was able for a simultaneous switch between GSM and EDGE. Also it was capable of compatibility with other UMTS family.

However, there are no phones that are not WCDMA compatible. All carriers except U.S. Cellular and Sprint are based on WCDMA with all GSM phones compatible with WCDMA technology.

CDMA – Code Division Multiple Access

CDMA is a channel access method used by various radio communication technologies. It shouldnot be confused with the mobile phone standars called cdmaOne, CDMA 2000 (3G Evolution of cdmaOne) and WCDMA (the 3G standard used by GSM carriers) which are often referred to as simply CDMA, and use CDMA as an underlying channel access method.

One of the concepts in data communication is the idea of allowing several transmitters to send information simultaneously over a single communication channel.This allows several users to share a band of frequencies. This concept is Multiple Access or MA of CDMA. This is also why Verizon has much better pentration than AT&T or T-Mobile.

However, there is a disadvantage of CDMA. Your phone will not use a subscriber identification module to access cell towers. It will use an electric serial number to access. Which is why Verizon or Sprint’s phones usually don’t have a sim card. However, with WCDMA being deployed. All phones for all carriers have a sim. Still, if the phone does not have a GSM (2G) antenna, the (W)CDMA phone will not be compatible with GSM carriers.

GSM – Global System for Mobile Communications

Our world divides into four different generations of cellular network.

1G – Analog Cellular Network

2G – GSM or CDMA

3G – WCDMA

4G – LTE, HSPA+ all based on WCDMA , Wi – Max

After the first generation network, carriers either chose GSM or CDMA standard for their 2G network. Both network are not compatible to each other. However, a WCDMA phone will be compatible with GSM network if it has a sim slot and has a GSM antenna.

GSM carrier frequencies are 900, 1800, 1900, and 2100 mHz. That is why iPhones are only capable with 2G network on T-Mobile’s network.
>>>>>>>>>>

So it looks like that CCTR 805 unit should work on 3G on my GoPhone AT&T sim card. Very Happy I was really confused by CDMA and WCDMA, not realizing the difference. Thanks for continuing to educate me.

I am going to give that CCTR 805 unit a try. Wish me luck. Very Happy

The Western Syncro build
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

It looks like finding something designed to do that job — that incorporates GPS location and tracking/alerting — makes more sense that trying to cobble something together that might not work in a year.

GPS doesn't rely on 3G or anything to do with the telcos. That seemed unclear in the thread.

That said, leaving an old phone that supports location services (either through Google or Apple) in your rig might work. Could be cheap enough to get by with (ie, you own the phone and just need to drop in a SIM with someone like Ting or one of other providers). If you only pay for what you use and the phone is never used as a phone, it might be a good option.

Food for thought, at any rate.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
It looks like finding something designed to do that job — that incorporates GPS location and tracking/alerting — makes more sense that trying to cobble something together that might not work in a year.

GPS doesn't rely on 3G or anything to do with the telcos. That seemed unclear in the thread.

GPS itself doesn't rely on any cell signal to know location but how to report that information back to you? That is where a cell signal is needed.....

The Western Syncro build
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

GPS itself doesn't rely on any cell signal to know location but how to report that information back to you? That is where a cell signal is needed.....

I don't understand all the little details about how various diy optopns work but I think they are important to know. Even an app like Google Device Manager will only locate your phone when you ask. So if the van was put inside a building and satellites can't find it, you got nothing, right? The Spot App stores your location every 5 minutes even before you notice the van is missing.

And if you only get a text from a cell phone but it doesn't store prior locations, what happens if the van is out of cell phone range, like stolen from a trailhead or driven into an area with lousy coverage?

With Spot if your van is stolen from a remote trailhead or driven to an area with no service Spot will already have saved coordinates until is is moved inside a structure that blocks satellites. So you would at least have a 5 minute radius to search.

Cell phones usually work inside though so if it was brought inside a warehouse in a metro area, it would be nice to be able to locate only by cell towers. I don't think Spot does that. [edit] I just read up on that and if the phone doesn't have access to satellites the cell phone location will not be very close anyway, so that would be of limited value.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Anyone have issues with their tk 103? The first one i bought never worked right ot of the box. Sent it back and the next one worked but has now stopped responding and not working after only 4 months. I tried resetting it but its not responding. The light stays solid red like its not getting gsm signal. My sim card is up date and everything seems tight. Of course their is 0.0 customer service on this device, atleast i cant find any. Anyone out there offer some suggestions? I still have $50 left on my wireless plan so id like to get it sorted out
Thanks
Jason
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Anyone have issues with their tk 103? The first one i bought never worked right ot of the box. Sent it back and the next one worked but has now stopped responding and not working after only 4 months. I tried resetting it but its not responding. The light stays solid red like its not getting gsm signal. My sim card is up date and everything seems tight. Of course their is 0.0 customer service on this device, atleast i cant find any. Anyone out there offer some suggestions? I still have $50 left on my wireless plan so id like to get it sorted out
Thanks
Jason

Who is your sim card with? If it is with AT&T or one of its MVNOs, it's likely not working because AT&T shut down its 2G network in January, and that tracker only works on 2G. T-Mobile is keeping its 2G network up for a few more years. If you've got it on the T-Mobile network, it may be a different issue.

Ed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 34

Jump to: