Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

You can get an AOL account with that CD, I bet.

Now China knows where every Vanagon in the U.S. Is , in real time.
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

I just installed the SPOT Trace with $149 per year subscription and couldn't be happier.

It's hard wired for power and the tiny size made concealing it a snap. The app is fantastic and the ability to create a webpage for others to permanently or temporarily track my movement is another perk which I like.

This comes in handy when I'm off solo on long road trips camping out at night alone and I need to have my whereabouts communicated to my family just in case.

If anyone else is buying a SPOT Trace, send me a PM and I can send you a code that gives us both 20% off the annual subscription fee.

I'm gonna put one of these in my airplane too. Way better than relying on the ELT to be detected.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

I am so glad that folks are getting on the GPS tracker band wagon. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

^^^ Thanks for beating the drum for the past few years! I bought a TK103 and then a Spot Trace partly based on yours (and other's) consistent reminders and recommendations.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

I'vee found a couple (at least) of GPS trackers that are under $60 and don't require a monthly fee. But they seem to require the vehicle to have a 'modern' diagnostic port. Does anyone know of a moderately priced unit (12 v wired or flashlight battery-powered unit?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
I'vee found a couple (at least) of GPS trackers that are under $60 and don't require a monthly fee. But they seem to require the vehicle to have a 'modern' diagnostic port. Does anyone know of a moderately priced unit (12 v wired or flashlight battery-powered unit?

What have you found and how do they work without a fee? How do you get messages to/from them?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Not sure how they get a strong enough signal out. Here's one:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=260

OR: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-GSM-GPRS-Car-tracker-C...1881120796

Downward on the pages above, below the (thin) description of the item on the page, there are 'People who viewed this item also viewed' offerings. I'm overwhelmed, just want to know if anyone has such a service-- unit that tracks, apparently gets the message to you-- second one mentions Verizon, but no details. OR if anyone knows/has used a unit that's not much over $100, let me know.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:

OR: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-GSM-GPRS-Car-tracker-C...1881120796

yeah, it needs a SIM so you have to pay for that (monthly or prepaid, your option). That one looks a little vague in the description, to be honest.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

That's one that hooks in by way of the diagnostic plus-- something a decade or more after most of these vans were built.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Just found this on the gizmodo site-- no tracking fees and detailed instructions!
http://gizmodo.com/5691724/how-to-track-your-vehicle-on-the-cheap

I probably won't get something installed and running for several weeks. If anyone tries out this system, please let us know.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Nice. There have been discussions of using a burner phone but this fills in all the gaps. Plus you have a phone for emergencies.

EDIT:
Quote:
InstaMapper was a popular GPS tracking / location sharing service. After nearly 5 years of operation, the site shut down in 2012

/sad trombone

I guess location sharing is an option, if the burner phone supports it (any old iPhone would).

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

The problem with iPhone location sharing is that it doesn't leave a trail. Location is only available real time as far as I know...maybe there is an app that leaves bread crumbs?
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

A quick search turned up this:

GPS Location Tracker for iPhone and iPad - Free
By FollowMee LLC
...quietly records its locations (GPS, WiFi, or Cellular) periodically and uploads to a secured server. To monitor location of your tracked device, you simply open our web site (http://www.FollowMee.com
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

I'm a little wary of any of these that offer a free website for tracking. They can easily go away and it's not like you could make a claim on them: they're free. It only has to last long enough for you to get through the testing phase. It would be…disappointing to find out that the website went away a few months before your rig did.

The leading contenders seem to be the ones that use a (prepaid or monthly) SIM card for you to connect with them or the satellite trackers that come with a fee.

Looks like ting.com offers the lowest up to date SIM card I can find at $12/month ($6 for the line, $3 for up to 100 texts/month which is the least you can get, $3 for 100 mbits of data. Not sure you need data for some of these if it texts back the GPS coordinates so it could be as little as $9/month).

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
The leading contenders seem to be the ones that use a (prepaid or monthly) SIM card for you to connect with them or the satellite trackers that come with a fee.

thanks for sharing info and including links

IF I understand the technology correctly, ANY phone based device will only transmit where there is phone reception.

To detect in places with no cell, we need satellite GPS such as Spot Trace,
https://www.findmespot.com/en/?cid=128
it costs $15 a month. That is "just" $6 more than a data plan on a burner phone.

Spot lets loved ones see where you are, even if you break down somewhere that you have no phone service to call for help.

I vote Spot. Im not aware (yet), of a less expensive Satellite based tracker.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

IF I understand the technology correctly, ANY phone based device will only transmit where there is phone reception.

True. If you are in the back country or someone drives your rig there, the phone won't work.

Jon_slider wrote:

To detect in places with no cell, we need satellite GPS such as Spot Trace,

No. True GPS doesn't use cell towers. Wanna prove it? Take a picture on your cellphone in the back country where there are no cell towers and you can pull the GPS data from the picture. To get a status from a cell-free area, yes, you would need something else, like a satellite network.

What SPOT offers:
Quote:
Once activated and powered on, SPOT Trace will acquire its exact coordinates from the GPS network. SPOT Trace sends the GPS location to communication satellites. The satellites relay the message to a ground network, which uses the internet to route the message to your phone or computer.

They use the satellite network to connect the location of their tracker to google maps without the cell network at all.

Jon_slider wrote:

https://www.findmespot.com/en/?cid=128
it costs $15 a month. That is "just" $6 more than a data plan on a burner phone.

Plus the hardware cost. All in, about $200 for the first year, if you get half off the hardware, $250 if you don't. Then $150 a year.

Jon_slider wrote:

Spot lets loved ones see where you are, even if you break down somewhere that you have no phone service to call for help.

I vote Spot. Im not aware (yet), of a less expensive Satellite based tracker.

For a satellite connected tracker, no, there aren't a lot of options. Spot seems to be the best on cost and reputation.

If you can live with a system that will let you know what the rig is moved and allows you to track it and report that track to the police, maybe a burner-phone or one of the other options will work. Comparing them directly isn't all that useful.

Now, if someone thinks they can do a bulk buy on the Spot hardware (coupon code: SAMBA), that might be interesting.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
True GPS doesn't use cell towers.

agree Smile

A phone knows where IT is, but without cell reception it cannot send that info anywhere.

the link I gave for Spot shows a price of $50 for the hardware, just $20 more than a burner phone.

Some Vans are worth more than $20 plus $6 a month. Smile

Spot IS by FAR superior to a phone based tracker. The cost difference is imho NOT significant. SPOT sends an alert text the Moment the device moves. That is an immediate alert if the Van is stolen and you have Cell service (to receive the text).
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Spot is good. I just have a limit on how much I'm willing to pay. if you aren't gong to do anything, then something is better than nothing. I also think most vans are stolen in cities.

It looks like H2O wireless has $10 sim cards good for 90 days (for 200 texts or minutes). If you sign up for auto refill every 90 days (which you would want to do anyway), it is only $9 for 3 months. Who can't afford $3/month.

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Carriers/H2O...contract=0
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

SPOT does have to be able to 'see' a satellite - so if the van is under dense trees or in a lock-up somewhere being parted out then you're out of luck. Both the phone and satellite options have drawbacks...

The phone solution can be very cheap - using the pay-as-you-go option from Pageplus you can get 120 days service for $10. As you'd not be using it for voice and only for occasional data, even that $10 won't be used up by the time it needs renewing. So that's $30 a year rather than $30 a month. Wink You do have to remember to renew it though. As a very occasional phone user, this is what I use for my phone in the US anyway.

In the UK a Sip2sim card can be used - £2 a month plus a tiny bit for any data used. Say £25 per year, rolling contract so no remembering top-up needed. e.g. https://aa.net.uk/telecoms-sip2sim.html (disclosure, I'm a very happy customer for my UK and non-US use)
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
It looks like H2O wireless has $10 sim cards good for 90 days... $3/month.

good option on the phone.
How do you track its trail?

fxr wrote:
if the van is... in a lock-up somewhere being parted out then you're out of luck.

good point.
With a steel building, Cell phone service would also be lost. There would still be a trail going to the building before Satellite or Cell signal is lost...

It is looking like:
$3 per month for Cell phone reception
$12 a month extra to add reception beyond Cell phone coverage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 34

Jump to: