Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

My original review of the TK103 tracker dates from November 2013:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6946473#6946473

...and it is still working and still relevant in the array of tracking devices out there. Others have the same tracker and are enjoying its use. Still others are using different solutions (Spot, etc.) with success.

Everyone has different requirements. The whole thread can really help a determined person figure out what they need.

Welcome to Page 23, everyone!

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

I couldn’t be happier with every page of this thread leading me to the solution I picked.

It definitely saved me time and trouble of experimenting with something that wouldn’t have worked for me.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:

What is the best tracking unit for a Vanagon that will attach magnetically, has its own battery and has no, or inexpensive, monthly fees, and will display the location on my iPhone?

Tom, I was surprised when I was looking for a revised 3G version that nothing stood out as the clear winner. There are several available though. But the 2G versions are cheaper and you can use your own SIM card which is cheaper than what most of the 3G included SIM 3G tracker plans cost. So I agree that a TK103A or B or whatever is out there on ebay is probably still a top contender (for the next 2 years).

If you look at the most popular 3G GPS trackers on Amazon, you'see how much they cost. They typically pay all the data fees and just charge you a flat monthly fee of $20 or $25 with no contract. But that seems expensive to me.

The 2G versions should work fine for 2 more years and the hardware is cheap compared to a 3G unit that will be supported indefinitely. So I would probably just get one of those now and a T-mobile SIM card on the prepaid pay as you go plan and sign up for online automatic billing. Or get a Ting plan that people seem to recommend. Ting just resells T-mobile but the billing is setup different I guess. I am not having any issue with my T-mobile plan.

Spot Trace seems expensive to me, but most of the new 3G built in SIM plans are just as much if not more. And Spot uses Satellites for communication which must be more expensive for them. Spot is nice because the battery lasts a long time, you have the option to power it from key-on vehicle power so it runs off the alternator when you are in motion which is when it is using all its power. And it is simple and reliable.

My T-mobile cell phone is the cheapest option if I want to dump Spot and just use that as a tracker. The plan is $3/mo for 30 texts or minutes. If I go over they just take it out of my balance at 10 cents each. It is set up as an online account and is easy to refill and I have it on autopay. I use wifi calling at home and mostly use this phone as an emergency phone and answering machine. If I hid it in the van, I would just plug it into a accessory 12V USB plug to keep it charged and the standby time is good with the big phone battery. The free app I have is WheresMyDroid and whenever I text the phone the command, it texts back immediately with coordinates and a google map link. Seems to work reliably but it doesn't have any where near the features of the dedicated tracker. One big advantage though is it uses the full T-mobile network, 2/3/4G so it would have coverage in more places. You could do the same thing with AT&T or Verizon, except they didn't have any cheap plans like this one.

There are some new 3G pet finder products that are interesting. They seem to be more price competitive and are small and waterproof since they are supposed to go on the dogs collar. You could hardwire the charger cable into the van as all of them seem to have shitty battery life. As 2G goes away, 3G versions will take over the market and hopefully one will be a clear inexpensive winner.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:

What is the best tracking unit for a Vanagon that will attach magnetically, has its own battery and has no, or inexpensive, monthly fees, and will display the location on my iPhone?

Tom, I was surprised when I was looking for a revised 3G version that nothing stood out as the clear winner. There are several available though. But the 2G versions are cheaper and you can use your own SIM card which is cheaper than what most of the 3G included SIM 3G tracker plans cost.

This is a 3G version that you can use your own sim card in.

[quote="djkeev"]
dobryan wrote:
After looking around some more I finally bought this GPS tracker. Since I am on AT&T which no longer offers 2G I had to find a new unit that was 3G.

3G-WCDMA-GPS-Vehicle-Tracker-CCTR-805

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3G-WCDMA-GPS-Vehicle-Track...2047488292

I really like these type of units since I do not have to rely on a third party website to track the vehicle (although this one does offer that). I call the unit and it texts me back the location via a google maps link. Very Happy

It is very similar to my older TK103 but this also uses 3G (and 2G too). D

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

My considerations for a GPS tracker are that I live in Hawaii and have a Vanagon in SoCal and would like to transfer or deactivate the device periodically. I drive the SoCal Vanagon about twice a year and I'll soon be going to the mainland for a two month road and ski trip and will be in areas that have had Vanagon thefts.

I've been searching the internet for a tracker that satisfies my wants. I would like a device that has its own long lasting battery power, does not depend on T-mobile cell tower coverage, has an internal antenna, and could be slapped onto the frame or interior somewhere with magnets. I've read several negative reviews about poor instructions, initialization difficulties and lack of customer service. No monthly fee would be very desirable. Not a deal breaker, but I've read about cancellation difficulties and continuing charges. I've seen models that meet my requirements, but are not compatible with Iphones.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Trackmate might be a good option. They are a US company. They have no contract on the tracking so you could add or remove as needed. Their cheapest plan is 5 minute updates and costs $9/month and has all the normal features like low battery warning, geo-fencing, etc. You would have to hook it up to an aux battery in order to last 6 or more months but it has a good sized built in battery for a tracker.

The first year service is free, so the device and 1 year service is $90. That seems like a great deal to me.
https://www.amazon.com/TrackmateGPS-3G-Vehicles-Wa...&psc=1

They make a couple different units, this mini and one that looks like a tranformer. I'm not sure which is better, they both use the same service.
https://trackmategps.com/

This is a pretty reasonable monthly service plan from a US Company. It runs WCDMA which is AT&T or TMoble 3G. I don't know more than what I read on their website and the reviews on Amazon are good.
kurtk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

I switched to Trackmate from a TK103 about a year ago. When AT&T supported 2G, the TK103 worked fine in Seattle. After AT&T decommissioned 2G, I switched the SIM toT-Mobile and the reliability of their 2G 1900 Mhz in Seattle was terrible. The Trackmate service for the most part has worked fine, with a couple of short outages in the past year.

YMMV
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
My original review of the TK103 tracker dates from November 2013:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6946473#6946473

...and it is still working and still relevant in the array of tracking devices out there. Others have the same tracker and are enjoying its use. Still others are using different solutions (Spot, etc.) with success.

Everyone has different requirements. The whole thread can really help a determined person figure out what they need.

Welcome to Page 23, everyone!

kourt

I installed the TK103 this summer and I could send it a command “move######” and it would respond with “moveok” and it would send me a text if it sensed the vehicle moved or was moving. Over the last month this function stopped working. I could still call it and it would give me location, but that’s it.

Anyone else had issues with this?

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

kurtk wrote:
I switched to Trackmate from a TK103 about a year ago. When AT&T supported 2G, the TK103 worked fine in Seattle. After AT&T decommissioned 2G, I switched the SIM toT-Mobile and the reliability of their 2G 1900 Mhz in Seattle was terrible. The Trackmate service for the most part has worked fine, with a couple of short outages in the past year.

YMMV

That Trackmate looks interesting. I went to their website and could not find any pricing on the yearly subscription. Does anyone know what that pricing is?

The Western Syncro build
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

kurtk wrote:

My service with Ting (a reseller of TMobile airtime) has been fine so far for the TK103. I hope whoever makes the TK103 keeps up with new spectrum as it becomes available.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

bsrad wrote:

I installed the TK103 this summer and I could send it a command “move######” and it would respond with “moveok” and it would send me a text if it sensed the vehicle moved or was moving. Over the last month this function stopped working. I could still call it and it would give me location, but that’s it.

Anyone else had issues with this?

Going by logic, the only way the TK103 knows it is moving is through changes in its location as detected by its GPS antenna. I would first check the GPS antenna by making sure the GPS antenna is mounted with visibility to the sky, and then confirm its function by driving somewhere, calling, getting GPS coordinates, verifying them, then driving somewhere else, calling, getting new GPS coordinates, and verifying them. You may have already done this, but I wanted to make sure this basic diagnostic process was done.

I recall the instructions for the Move function--make sure you are using correct syntax:

6.19.6 Movement alarm
6.19.6.1 Set up: when the unit stays immobile in a place for 3-10 minutes with GPS signal reception, the user can send SMS“move+password+space+0200” to the tracker (Suppose area of a radius of 200 meters, it supports 4 digits at most. Unit: Meter). It will reply “move OK”. In case of such a movement (the default distance is 200m), it will send SMS “Move+ latitude & longitude” to the authorized numbers at 3 minutes interval.
6.19.6.2 Cancel: Send SMS “nomove+password” to deactivate the movement alarm.

kourt
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

That Trackmate looks interesting. I went to their website and could not find any pricing on the yearly subscription. Does anyone know what that pricing is?

It is on the bottom of their main page. Saver plan is $9/mo. For more money you get faster updates and longer saved history.
SAVER $9 Each month per device
Vehicle location auto refreshes every 5 minutes on map
Location with written address (know precisely where your vehicle is at any given time).
Detailed reports listing all stops and the duration of those stops up to 7 days.
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

kourt wrote:

Going by logic, the only way the TK103 knows it is moving is through changes in its location as detected by its GPS antenna. I would first check the GPS antenna by making sure the GPS antenna is mounted with visibility to the sky, and then confirm its function by driving somewhere, calling, getting GPS coordinates, verifying them, then driving somewhere else, calling, getting new GPS coordinates, and verifying them. You may have already done this, but I wanted to make sure this basic diagnostic process was done.

I recall the instructions for the Move function--make sure you are using correct syntax:

6.19.6 Movement alarm
6.19.6.1 Set up: when the unit stays immobile in a place for 3-10 minutes with GPS signal reception, the user can send SMS“move+password+space+0200” to the tracker (Suppose area of a radius of 200 meters, it supports 4 digits at most. Unit: Meter). It will reply “move OK”. In case of such a movement (the default distance is 200m), it will send SMS “Move+ latitude & longitude” to the authorized numbers at 3 minutes interval.
6.19.6.2 Cancel: Send SMS “nomove+password” to deactivate the movement alarm.

kourt

Thanks Kourt!!!

Everything else seems to be functioning normally as I can call it whether I'm at home, out to dinner or driving and it gives good accurate location information. I've had never included the "+0200" and always had it function but will certainly give that command a try.

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
dobryan wrote:

It is on the bottom of their main page. Saver plan is $9/mo. For more money you get faster updates and longer saved history.
SAVER $9 Each month per device
Vehicle location auto refreshes every 5 minutes on map
Location with written address (know precisely where your vehicle is at any given time).
Detailed reports listing all stops and the duration of those stops up to 7 days.

Now that makes this a competitive device. If I had to start with a new device I would consider this.

The Western Syncro build
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

My research on some devices tells me that they use T-mobile cell towers. My Vanagon will be in areas where there is no T-mobile coverage. So I want a device that utilizes satellites and I can access information on a laptop connected to the internet.
I've also read that using satellites demands more power and that the use of cell towers is a means of reducing power demand. Something like a Murphy conundrum.

Aloha
tp
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Tom, If it needs to utilize satellites, not cell towers, then I think that the SPOT tracker is what you need.

The Western Syncro build
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Tom, If it needs to utilize satellites, not cell towers, then I think that the SPOT tracker is what you need.

☝🏻

For me, the threat model is not the back country but in town. I assume I will be pretty close to my vehicle if I am out on an expedition and we don't see reports of them being stolen in campgrounds or at trail heads. They are stolen from homes, in cities, with good cell coverage. So being alerted to that is what motivated me. I can always pull the fuel pump fuse or pocket the rotor if I plan to be away in the back country. Pretty sure I'll find it where I left it. But do I want to do that between trips to the store or whatever business I have in town? Maybe not. My kill switch and Club™ are my lines of defense there.

The perfect is the enemy of the good and none of these solutions are future-proof. Do what works, as long as there is not a huge investment upfront.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyboyaviator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

A question for Dobryan or Kourt, jusst purchased the 103, how can you tell if is 2G or 3G? Is there a # or indications, when looking at the devise I don't see any information. On the specs it reads bands :850/900/1800/1900Mhz, not sure what that means (NewB here)
Thanks for any information.
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

I live in an area with very few Vanagon thefts (due in part to there being with very few Vanagons to steal) but that was only part of my decision t get a Spot Trace.

We tend to head up into the mountains where cell phone coverage is spotty and, more often than not, change plans/routes numerous times. On longer trips, we make a lot of unplanned diversions, so no one really knows where we are at any given time except for us (and Big Brother, of course). I can give the web link to my kids and they can find our current location whenever they want/need. While we don't usually go too deep in the wilderness, it's nice peace of mind for when we are "out there" in the sticks. They do offer a higher priced product that actually can send an SOS and such.

Lastly, during the post-trip after-action reviews, we often can't remember (and then argue about) exactly which route we actually took or where we saw this or that. Spot records everything for me. I think there is a way to save trip logs (I still haven't tried that) but otherwise the history log is only available for a limited time (30 days?)

FWIW, the 4 x AAA Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries lasted ~ 6 months. With batteries or even with the optional USB power there are no lack of good hiding spots that will still receive GPS signals.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

flyboyaviator wrote:
A question for Dobryan or Kourt, jusst purchased the 103, how can you tell if is 2G or 3G? Is there a # or indications, when looking at the devise I don't see any information. On the specs it reads bands :850/900/1800/1900Mhz, not sure what that means (NewB here)
Thanks for any information.

I 'think' the 103 is only 2G. Maybe you can go to the website and see if they list 2G and/or 3G.

The Western Syncro build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 34

Jump to: