Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buggy build....I have many questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Buggy build....I have many questions Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
This section of the Samba forum is totally new to me, as I usually hang out in the Karmann Ghia section. The idea of building a buggy is interesting and historical at the same time.
I have spent a few hours reading buggy build threads, and the sticky section, but many questions remain.

1. At this point I would not rather deal with finding a donor pan to shorten. Based upon my search it seems that Berrien makes the nostalgia chassis that will fit any fiberglass body. Is Berrien the only company that makes a complete chassis? What is the quality of their chassis?

2. Does the Berrien chassis come with a VIN number? Does a new fiberglass body (either Meyers Manx or a Berrien Nostalgia body) come with a VIN? If not, what is the VIN of the vehicle? Do I need to buy data plates and a title from a vintage Beetle to make this work? I am in New Jersey, so any NJ law insight would be helpful.

3. I am a purest at heart so I am very interested in the Meyers Manx Kick-Out Traditional buggy body. Is that a good quality kit? It is basically complete from the factory? Are there any other good quality classic looking bodies available?

4. What about the Berrien Nostalgia body? Is that good quality?

5. The price difference between the Meyers Manx body kit and the Berrien kit is significant. What accounts for the big price gap? Which body is better built?

6. I simply want a classic looking buggy with nothing fancy, except carpet, and some type of top. Are both available?

7. Given that I want a simple buggy with a stock 1600 DP motor, where MIGHT I be in terms of total cash outlay?

8. Besides the body, pan, engine/trans, seats and wires, what else do I need to have a driving buggy?

I am sure I will come up with more questions, but that is all I can think of now. Any and all help would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Zack
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link about two frames available. Do a search on the classified- (kit cars) and you will find a number of new dune buggy body sellers.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=450543
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your chassis - not familiar with Berriens (Acme). I do know that the VW store in St Johns PA (not real far from Jersey) makes a really nice chassis. I dont won one, but have been to the shop may times and seem them under construction. A cool thing they do is have the frame head set up for link pin or ball joint beams. Have no idea how you register it. Call them and see.

The Berrien Nostalgia bodies that I have seen have been really nice. However, I have not seen any since Acme bought Berrien and moved production to PA. Personally not a huge Acme fan, but that was because of shoddy engine work. Don't know anything about the new buggy bodies.

TJ Kustom http://www.tjkustoms.com/ has tops and carpet. I am going to be talking to him in a couple months about a top and interior for our clone that I hope to redo this winter. Have only ever talked to one person who was not a huge fan of his.

As far as cost goes - unless you are into the build itself, just buying a complete buggy will save you a ton of cash. Lets see - you'll probably have $4 or $5K in new body and chassis. Suspension and tranny will be another grand. Turn key engine about $2-3K. Tires and wheels $1K plus. So - you just spent close to $8-10K and dont have an interior, lights, top, windshield, etc.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy build....I have many questions Reply with quote

Hi Zack, welcome to our addiction. Perhaps I can contribute as we now own both a Berrien Nostalgia and a Meyers Manx Kick-Out-S.S. I know you are looking for the traditional version of the Kick-Out but it's essentially the same buggy with a different hood/windshield.

Bear in mind that our Nostalgia was purchased while Berrien still owned the business. More on this later as I try to answer your questions.

Zack1978 wrote:
1. At this point I would not rather deal with finding a donor pan to shorten. Based upon my search it seems that Berrien makes the nostalgia chassis that will fit any fiberglass body. Is Berrien the only company that makes a complete chassis? What is the quality of their chassis?

I have seen 1st hand the Berrien Chassis and it's well built, there are other as well, the threads posted earlier are good reading. The advantage of the Berrien chassis is the fiberglass floor, it's very well done and allows you to use a molded carpet as it retains the VW shape. When we built our buggies, we opted to go the donor route. Cost of shipping and core exchange (torsion) did not make sense for us up here. Another option you may have is to look in the classified for an old (preferably already registered) already shortened buggy in your area.

Zack1978 wrote:
2. Does the Berrien chassis come with a VIN number? Does a new fiberglass body (either Meyers Manx or a Berrien Nostalgia body) come with a VIN? If not, what is the VIN of the vehicle? Do I need to buy data plates and a title from a vintage Beetle to make this work? I am in New Jersey, so any NJ law insight would be helpful.

As far as I can remember, the Berrien does not have a S/N. As for registration, I can't help you there...

Zack1978 wrote:
3. I am a purest at heart so I am very interested in the Meyers Manx Kick-Out Traditional buggy body. Is that a good quality kit? It is basically complete from the factory? Are there any other good quality classic looking bodies available?

The TKO and KO-SS are of very good quality. The body is very thick and the gelcoat is show quality. If you opt for a metal flake, I can confirm that it's well executed (on the ones I've seen so far). It is very close to being complete given you add the required options: Side pods, trunk cover, bumpers and exhausts. You'll still need to provide parts such as side mirrors, wheels/tires, etc.

Zack1978 wrote:
4. What about the Berrien Nostalgia body? Is that good quality?

We bought ours in 2007 (or 2006) can't remember exact date. You can see part of our build thread here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=264119

Quality is good, not as thick as the Meyers Manx. Gelcoat was nice and even and it has held well over the years and miles. I'm not sure who produces the bodies for ACME but they now offer a metal flake option. I did see one in the sunlight at a car show recently and I was disappointed with their metal flake finish. It looked like the flakes were applied in spots and was very uneven. The regular gelcoat looked fine.

Zack1978 wrote:
5. The price difference between the Meyers Manx body kit and the Berrien kit is significant. What accounts for the big price gap? Which body is better built?

This is my own reasoning/quesswork: Cost of producing the bodies by high(er) end production company and partly for the value of the name. Don't forget to factor in the cost of shipping... Getting the Meyers Manx across the country will be more expensive than picking up the Berrien in PA.

Zack1978 wrote:
6. I simply want a classic looking buggy with nothing fancy, except carpet, and some type of top. Are both available?

As andk5591 replied, I can confirm that Tom from TJ-Kustoms has you covered. If you need a full top, you may need to have him custom make one for you. He does have a Bikini top and he specializes in upholstery. He's in LI, NY.

Zack1978 wrote:
7. Given that I want a simple buggy with a stock 1600 DP motor, where MIGHT I be in terms of total cash outlay?

This is a subject for a lengthy discussion as a lot depends on the type of parts (old-refurbish vs new) and availability. There's a good thread here about it:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497932

Zack1978 wrote:
8. Besides the body, pan, engine/trans, seats and wires, what else do I need to have a driving buggy?

Steering wheel, brakes, wheels/tires come to mind.

Hope this helps.
scooby223
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The berrien frames come with a bill of sale which your state turns into a title. I have already told the wife my next build will be a berrien chassis and new body.

If you found a newer beetle with ball joint front end and an IRS rear end that was pretty complete that would give you the front end, tranny, a lot of small parts, and a torsion for a core. Then you could sell off what is left of the beetle if anything is worth selling.

As far as the body goes I wold say some of the cost is for the Manx name and as mentioned shipping across the country. You could also consider an original manx that (surfnc = Vince) has redone they look awesome I have considered a manx 2 body as my next build, I figure this one is my first build and the guinea pig for future builds.

Good luck

1969 Dune Runner Mini Mercedes
1985 Ford F250 460 1 owner 64000 mi
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much everyone!
Has anyone noticed a decline in quality since the Acme company took over Berrien?
Any idea what shipping would be on a Barrett chassis would be to NJ?
I certainly would be easier if I could just drive to PA and pick up a Berrien/Acme chassis.
Also with respect to the body, once again any idea on shipping to NJ?
How much does the bare body weigh?

Thanks,
Zack
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zack1978 wrote:
Thank you very much everyone!
Has anyone noticed a decline in quality since the Acme company took over Berrien?
Any idea what shipping would be on a Barrett chassis would be to NJ?
I certainly would be easier if I could just drive to PA and pick up a Berrien/Acme chassis.
Also with respect to the body, once again any idea on shipping to NJ?
How much does the bare body weigh?

Thanks,
Zack

Zack...

I have an original Berrien chassis...I've also been to Acme several times. The new chassis are nearly identical. I'm a huge fan of the chassis with the fiberglass floor and would buy one again in a moment. You need to secure a title and data plate for the easiest titling. I will not go into details, but thats the way many do it.

I've seen the Berrien bodies and the Acme bodies. The regular colored bodies appeared to be equally made. If Vincent mentions quality problems with the metal flake.....he's definitely a trustworthy source.

David B has his fans...I'm not a fan of not having a stock looking floor and tunnel. Besides that, people rave about the work

Body cross country can be $1500 with Stewart Transport. (Meyers use them)

If I were you......I'd buy a buggy that's already complete, titled, etc. There are many bargains out there. Just be educated. If you like the hobby, start planning to build your own.
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiggyManx#33 wrote:

Body cross country can be $1500 with Stewart Transport. (Meyers use them).

Only for clarification. You can choose any hauler of your choice if you get a kit from Meyers. Meyers recommends Stewart because they use an enclosed trailer and do not charge an extra crating fee, which can be as high as $500 more.

That being said; after checking many other shipping companies and even running the numbers to fly to CA, rent a Penske truck, pick up the body and drive back to PA; I used Stewart to deliver my Manxter. And it was $1500 to have it delivered to Western PA in January of 2012. It was money well spent. A few hiccups along the way, but they got it here safe and delivered it right into my garage.

Thanks,
Scott
Manxter #122
First time, garage built, and living out the childhood dream of owning a life-size Hotwheel!

Check out my build thread-->My Manxter 2+2
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbussard wrote:
SiggyManx#33 wrote:

Body cross country can be $1500 with Stewart Transport. (Meyers use them).

Only for clarification. You can choose any hauler of your choice if you get a kit from Meyers. Meyers recommends Stewart because they use an enclosed trailer and do not charge an extra crating fee, which can be as high as $500 more.

That being said; after checking many other shipping companies and even running the numbers to fly to CA, rent a Penske truck, pick up the body and drive back to PA; I used Stewart to deliver my Manxter. And it was $1500 to have it delivered to Western PA in January of 2012. It was money well spent. A few hiccups along the way, but they got it here safe and delivered it right into my garage.

Thanks,
Scott

I used Stewart 8-9 years ago for my Classic Manx.

The hood was damaged during shipping. They were at my house 2 days later to take the whole body back to Meyers Manx to be color matched and repaired and delivered a week or two later.

I wouldn't use anyone else to move a non rolling body.
Mike_CNYBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooby223 wrote:
The berrien frames come with a bill of sale which your state turns into a title.

I don't think this is correct, You need the bill of sale along with additional receipts and paperwork to apply for a title, you can not turn a bill of sale for a chassis itself into a title at any DMV that I am aware of, but check out your state's DMV website under homebuilt, special construction or custom built vehicles.

In NY you have to call the DMV for the paperwork, fill it out, send it back with pictures and additional required information, if they approve they make an appointment at your local DMV where they check your component serial numbers (engine, tranny etc) to ensure you aren't using the process to launder stolen parts, they then attach a custom vin to your car then you submit that paperwork to DMV and get a current year title for you custom built vehicle.

Also, Berrien(acme) makes a hard top, not sure if it fits on the Nostalgia or not, they also have 2 new bodies, the Genesis which is a full length body (no need to shorten the stock pan) and the Lancer which looks like a Nostalgia with a different hood, They also sell a Mini-T clone.

http://www.acmecarco.com/index.php/berrien-buggy/dune-buggies

Kristen's Buggy (UltaViolet) Build Thread

VW Club of Central New York
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new Berrien chassis will come with a serial number for identification, but this is NOT a VIN. Registering the car for street use is still subject to the rules of your state.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1235522

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my fiberglass bodies are no-name Manx look-a-likes. I have a ton of fun with them and do not care they don't have a pedigree.
I would not spend $1500 on shipping for a new body. That is just my opinion tho.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is more often than not cheaper to purchase a completed car than it is to piecemeal one together.
With that said, I am all for restoring and rebuilding stuff. It is all part of the fun.

It is far easier to eat an elephant one piece at a time...but the overall task can be a daunting one. Read most of the for sale postings on the samba...ran out of time, ran out of money, wife wants it gone...etc. Sometimes the larger pill is more painful to swallow but you get the satisfaction of enjoying something (and getting the wife excited about it and not making you sell!).

Regardless, here is a nice looking Manx in NC for sale. Do not tell Frizzardking...he will snatch it up! Wink I cannot vouch for the car and know nothing about it.

http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/4044130460.html
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate post.

Last edited by monomanx on Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
hcallaway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is your budget? From scratch with almost everything new, with at least average to above average skills, 5 years of labor on and off. A few extra $1000 to solve issues I decided to pass to someone more skilled. Garage space to spare. I am in well over 15k. On the other hand some of the guys on here look like Hellen Keller or JChrist with a few loaves of bread and a few fish, they seem to build a great DB for $1000! Pick your poison. Good luck it is a great journey.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple question for you. What's more important to you? The build or driving the finished product? If the finished product is the real goal, go buy a finished or almost finished buggy. If the act of building is your real passion or artistic expression then build yours from scratch.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don't_bug_me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can sum up most of your questions without actually having ever built a buggy, it applies to all projects buggies, baja's or motorcycles, or a space shuttle for that matter, most of your questions seem to end on how much or how to get. Start with someone else unfinished project, look at many. A lot of people start a build with good intentions and end up either over their skill level, lost interest, or need money for more important things in life and wasn't ready to commit to their new toy. This can cure most of your questions all at once, while looking at other partially completed buggies, you can look at the difference in quality, have a head start in parts to purchase, many will also have the title/vin issue resolved, and...here's a biggie, most know they aren't going to get out of it what they've already put into it, so you save a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Razz
This is exactly how I intend to approach a buggy build, I'll let the more experienced start from scratch, I'll arm myself with as much knowledge as I can read from past experiences here on the Samba, maybe even find a buggy owner close by willing to check a few out with me. I'll be doing the same thing next year after my baja is complete.
Chevynut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you are i am fairly new to the vw/aircooled/buggy thing.....doing the chevy thing all my life, however a close friend of mine turned me on to his buggy early this year and i was instantly hooked.... we went out the following weekend and found me an old tuff tub shell sitting on a 70 beetle auto stick chassis. at this point i would agree with "don't bug me" make sure you know which direction you want to go and be ready to undertake it. like most things i do in life i jumped in head first and decided to rebuild it from the ground up and just about all of the questions i have had during the process have been answsered right here on the samba(full of great info) but it was deff more than i expected. however i have not regreted one min. of it..... and should be rolling in 2 weeks.... but just plug your question into google and a samba answer will just about always pop up. thx to all who post it has been a big help
Big_kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevynut wrote:
a close friend of mine turned me on to his buggy early this year and i was instantly hooked...

Friends like that, who needs enemies?

Going to Manx on the Banx this year?
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a bit of time looking at the Meyers Manx Traditional vs the Berrien Nostalgia. There is a price difference....$4,700 (MM) vs $1,637.95 (BN), but in looking at both they are not apples to apples.
The Meyers Manx kit is much more complete, with more assembled and more parts. So perhaps in the long run buying the Meyers kit makes more sense? It might be more expensive with the Berrien kit once you buy all the parts that the Meyers comes with from the factory.
Am I correct that the Berrien kit is less complete?

Thank you,
Zack
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: