Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bosch generator parts
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Bosch generator parts Reply with quote

I'm looking for a couple of parts to rebuild a BOSCH RED generator. Specifically I'm looking for #17, #18 and #21

I'm wondering if these parts may be scavenged from thin slot or other 6V generators. Anyone know?

I'm also wondering about the armature would a thin slot one work in a RED generator? I realize the part numbers are probably different.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe 17, 18 and 21 are the same on thin slots, I just had my RED gen. apart last week, I'm pretty sure mine also has a newer armature in it as well as the threaded part where the pulley and fan nuts screw on seems very short, as in when using the correct deep 36mm #1/#10 nuts in your photo the threads are way down in there, I would think the correct armature would have a longer threaded part than what i'm dealing with, otherwise it was working just fine with the short armature and D reg. , was charging fine, just had it apart to repack the bearings
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for the help. I'm missing 16 and 13 also. I guess I'll sacrifice a thin slot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe 14-16-18 and 20 are just dust seals, if you purchase newer sealed bearings they would not be necessary, also the spacers and possibly the 17 holding plate may be common to all older bosch 6v generators, probably unnecessary to source them from a perfectly good thin slot
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bill about the dust shields. But the later retainer plates were held in with a circlip if I recall correctly, not a screw held retainer. I could be wrong, but that is what I recall.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally tore down an October '50 generator that was in my shop. A few notes relative to what Nancy asked about.

The spacers 13 and 21 are identical. 5.9mm thick.

There is a part not shown in the diagram, it is a "C" steel ring that gets slipped down over the commutator end of the armature. It sits down in a groove cut around the armature shaft, just above the commutator. Maybe it is always supplied with the armature.

Anyway, part number 16 sits down against it, it keeps the bearing from pressing down on the commutator. Part 16 is pretty thick and not like the other dust shield pieces. Not sure if the thin slots used this setup or not. I can take pics later if it is not clear.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
I can take pics later if it is not clear.

Good info, thanks John.

Pictures would be helpful if you have time. I'm still looking for the parts. So I have not been able to find an appropriate donor.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the pics from a '51 Gen I tore down. I munged up that disc that sits on the ring clip by whacking it with a hammer and flat bladed screwdriver to get it off. You's need a very special kind of puller to get it off clean. The pics show the parts in order of how they sit in the armature. SOme pics show the same parts, but flipped over.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch generator parts Reply with quote

So when putting in new sealed bearings do you use 14, 16, 18 and 20? Was wondering if leaving them out would affect spacing? Also, any recommendations on a locally purchased fabric wrap to rewrap the fields?
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billmetric wrote:
I believe 14-16-18 and 20 are just dust seals, if you purchase newer sealed bearings they would not be necessary, also the spacers and possibly the 17 holding plate may be common to all older bosch 6v generators, probably unnecessary to source them from a perfectly good thin slot

And 3M makes a nice fabric tape that works well
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch generator parts Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. I had read that, but then it looks like in one of the last photos John posted there looks to be a sealed bearing in the view with all the washers, so I figured I would clarify.

Also any US sources for the optibelt A34 13x850Li fan belt, can't seem to find one and would hate to have an international shipment for just a fan belt.
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch generator parts Reply with quote

Carious if anyone knows the interchangeability of the armatures , I have a “red” gen that the threaded post on the armature was cut off , wondering if I could rob a armature from a later 6v unit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch generator parts Reply with quote

empiracer wrote:
Carious if anyone knows the interchangeability of the armatures , I have a “red” gen that the threaded post on the armature was cut off , wondering if I could rob a armature from a later 6v unit
\

Don't know for sure, but I would think possibly. The armatures are date coded BTW, small numbers stamped on the armature core.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: