Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Green Mountain rust bus!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you patched the frame did you lay one continuous bead on a series of spot welds? It looks continuous and was just wondering if you had any warping issues or is the steel thick enough to handle the heat?

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wrstp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
When you patched the frame did you lay one continuous bead on a series of spot welds? It looks continuous and was just wondering if you had any warping issues or is the steel thick enough to handle the heat?

I ran a continuos bead with my welder set on its highest setting to ensure plenty of penetration. The rail is plenty thick enough to handle the heat and no warpage was noticed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I am getting ready to do a patch on my frame and was thinking it could handle it but wasn't sure.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wrstp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
Thanks, I am getting ready to do a patch on my frame and was thinking it could handle it but wasn't sure.

No problem and be sure to leave a gap between pcs and bevel both pcs. This will help with penetration and give the wire a place to go and not just sit on top.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything happening with that Splitty, Wrstp? Let's see some more of your work!
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrstp wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just wondering what thickness the metal is that you are using to make up the repair panels. In this pic it looks pretty thin compared to the original.

GREAT FAB WORK!
wrstp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The split is still on stands in the garage patiently waiting further repair. I am almost done helping with an all metal Harley bagger project and will be back on green mountain rust.
The jack points I used 14 gauge to reproduce. The small piece in the center is thicker on the original the rest is pretty close as the original is pretty swelled up so can be hard to mic. Thanks for asking and sorry it's taking so long.
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth the wait. Just checking up on you. :p
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy I love all your work, you have great lessons Very Happy
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to this? Any news?
wrstp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1967250s wrote:
What happened to this? Any news?

Sorry nothing new to report but I will hopefully get back to work on it soon.
OCWest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the fact that your saving this bus from the grave. You might want to even call it the Easter Bus when your done because it's more like a resurrection. I was a little concerned about my new purchase knowing I need to replace my rocker panels inside and out. After removing an ez bed I found a couple of more holes in the floor board the previous owner didn't tell me about and surely he knew because he covered the hole with some metal tape. I don't understand what the deal is with preserving as much of the original paint when its so far gone. Maybe someone can please enlighten me please. My bus still has the original paint and I might say doesn't look that bad however I can't wait to get the body straight and give it a fresh coat. My metal guy says after he replaces the rockers to just blend the paint. I guess he's of that same opinion too.
Anyway, I look forward to see how this bus is going to look and I'm very happy for the bus. You're doing fine work!! Applause
kenshapiro2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm into original as much as possible too, but thats not the "right"... just another way. You do whatever the eff pleases YOU!

Looking for '67 Engine / Block HO 183xxx - HO 194xxx
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larser wrote:
Maybe someone can please enlighten me please.

It may be an overused phrase, but "they are only original once". If you want nice shiny paint, buy a bus that has already been repainted and make it your own. If your bus (or any other vintage vehicle for that matter) has solid original paint and your body guy knows how to blend in any rust repairs, do it.

My opinion, of course. Your bus is just that. Yours. Do with it as you please.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, having old original paint is the only way to enjoy these vehicles like they were meant to be when they were new(ish). If you're like me, if you do something you want it done 100%. That includes paint. To give a bus a PROPER paint job requires a LOT of time and money. Then, if you choose to use it like it was meant to be used (a utility vehicle), you will scratch it, chip it, dent it, etc and it will ruin your f-ing day when that happens.

If you scratch, chip, dent original paint you just ad character. And you aren't afraid to drive it like it was meant to be.
wrstp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me and the owner it's the character and the many stories behind the bus and it's paint. I agree this isn't for everyone or every bus and enjoy the many shiny new buses cruising the streets as well. I guess it's like someone above said it's your ride do what you want and I'm more then happy to help anyone achieve there vision and get another vdub back on the road.
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrstp wrote:
After removing what was left of the floor and some of the bulk head a nice surprise reveled itself.

Welded up and ready to grind smooth.

[/img]

Beautiful Weld.
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larser wrote:
I love the fact that your saving this bus from the grave. You might want to even call it the Easter Bus when your done because it's more like a resurrection. I was a little concerned about my new purchase knowing I need to replace my rocker panels inside and out. After removing an ez bed I found a couple of more holes in the floor board the previous owner didn't tell me about and surely he knew because he covered the hole with some metal tape. I don't understand what the deal is with preserving as much of the original paint when its so far gone. Maybe someone can please enlighten me please. My bus still has the original paint and I might say doesn't look that bad however I can't wait to get the body straight and give it a fresh coat. My metal guy says after he replaces the rockers to just blend the paint. I guess he's of that same opinion too.
Anyway, I look forward to see how this bus is going to look and I'm very happy for the bus. You're doing fine work!! Applause

Let's see a pic. Got a thread already?
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is larser's bus from his Gallery. It would be a crying shame to repaint that bus. If you do, DO NOT post that you have done so. You will become a pariah. I'm just warning you!

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
the.fordhams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Green Mountain rust bus!! Reply with quote

The story continues.. green mountain Bus earlier this year. Moving to a new home garage.

67 SO42 welding project
03 Eurovan Weekender
08 Touareg 2 V6

WANTED :
Bob King VW dealer Wilmington NC dealer tag surround and any Literature for 03 Weekender
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: