Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Worst sound ever. pls help.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mazzidumato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Worst sound ever. pls help. Reply with quote

Battery on the Syncro died. So I got some friends to help push the car. As the car was on a hill, we pushed it in the reverse direction and my friend though he had the car in R when it was in 1st. So he kept trying to start the car but it wouldnt. The car made this loud noise and all of a sudden all the fluid from somewhere (presumably the transmission) came down in large amounts. I am hoping its not such bad news. Can someone give me a clue as to what this could have been? If its transmission, does that mean its destroyed? I am taking the car to a mechanic tomorrow, but I would like to know if its something serious or not. Thanks.

Last edited by mazzidumato on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smell the fluid. Gear oil is a distinct type of sulfer smell and it has a greenish tint.
If you cracked the syncro tranny it is serious.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running the engine backwards with the ignition switch on could (depending on whether the hall sensor and ECU will still provide spark) send a lot of fuel/air mixture into the intake plenum which would be ignited by a spark in one of the cylinders. Remember that all the fuel injectors are triggered at the same time in the WBX - - it does not have sequential fuel injection. This may explain the loud noise.

What may have happened next to cause the fluid to escape is that the backwards-turning water pump or more likely backwards-turning oil pump caused a coolant leak or an oil leak or both.

You need to identify the fluid.
mtnwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you clarify what you were doing? Sounds like you were trying to roll start the van in reverse, but actually had the trans in 1st gear. If that's that case, I'd say you probably did major damage to your transmission Sad
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no idea exactly what broke but.......

You are pushing a massive weight, backwards down a hill with gravity helping.

You have it in 1st, a totally opposite rotation from the vehicles movement.

You let out the clutch which puts all of the torque of the backward movement suddenly trying to turn in the opposite direction.

Steel is only just so strong.......... Something HAS TO GIVE! My guess is the transmission literally exploded due to the immense stress suddenly placed upon it.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that you have broken the low gear housing trying to bump start in low gear. That is a no-no on a Syncro. The design angles of the low/reverse gears puts very large lateral forces on the gears, that the housing cannot withstand, and it breaks out the casing. Second gear (2WD first gear) as a minimum, third gear is better.

RonC
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this wouldn't be the 1st time I've heard of a syncro trans exploding from a bump start in Granny/Rev... esp common from Reverse...

an expensive oversight for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have just spent $3k+.... Crying or Very sad

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
mazzidumato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the information. I guess it doesnt sound good Sad
Im having a mechanic check it out today and hopefully its not as bad as it sounds...cheers.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never try to bump-start backwards. Bump-starting is easiest on all parties involved if you use third gear: there's less drive line shock and less of a jerk to injure your pushers! Smile
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bump start one, carry jumper cables.
mazzidumato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Car was lifted. Damage looks like its on the housing where the gears are. I am hoping I can only replace that part or maybe weld it. It would be easier maybe to replace but I live in Panama, and parts are hard to get.

Here are the pictures before opening, after and the piece that broke

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's a tough lesson in economics.. and physics

compounded by a rare vehicle (~46,000 vanagon Syncro made world wide over 5 production yrs)
and a remote location, though these aren't just hanging around any neighborhood.. well maybe Dylans yard, but nowhere else.

just a day late and dollar short bit of advice. I always carry a quality $150 battery boost pack. takes up less space than a set of cables and works when cables aren't long nuff to reach.
it's handy if I need it, it's handy when someone else needs it (more often) and handy as a portable battery pack for charging stuff and led lights while camping.
that's my advice on this topic for all other Syncro (any vanagon really) owners..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: syncro trans Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I think you may have just spent $3k+.... Crying or Very sad
Blue Bay Bus I would think your friend that does not what gear he is in owes you closer to $4,000 , good luck finding one down there. Sad PS I hope Panama is easer to get a transmission in then Columbia, Nacho had a hell of a time getting one in!
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for you but not surprised at all.
Your photos are basically what I had envisioned.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mazzidumato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...thanks for the lectures on what I could/should have done. But now with the current damage, is this something that could be welded together by someone knowledgeable? Is it something that hold pressure where welding it can be a problem?
BitterBeerFace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure others more knowledgeable will chime in, but I'd think the case could be welded (careful of it igniting(?)!)

The other expensive bit will be the gears themselves most likely being shredded.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to disassemble that unit and examine the gears. Odds are high that they have chipped or broken teeth from the massive torque applied to them.

Anything can be fixed. If the gears are good and you can weld the alloy the housing is cast of, have at it! At worst, it won't work, at best it will work. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

In the US people tend to favor new or good used over repaired items. It's a mindset we have, doesn't mean it's the best mindset but it is who we are.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that is weldable, the pressure isn't the problem, the machined tolarances are the issue.
That will need to be pulled apart and have every piece examined, the replace the bad parts.
Tough break, sorry to see that happen.

A 2wd transmission can be used with a little work to get you mobile for now.

Andrew-
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: trans rep. Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vEHp8zEvOU Try this , looks cool and you could do it yourself. Idea But it will only work on the case , the gears are another story. And if you have a Magnesium case then that's another story! Very Happy http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...ssion+case This is a way to tell what case you have.
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: