Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Latch mechs - need pics & ideas
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Latch mechs - need pics & ideas Reply with quote

So since finding the LaDawri, we took out all the door blocks and now they both open and close real nice but there were never any latches put in. Looking at it the latch area it looks like I have about 1/2" or maybe 5/8" of space to fit in some latches in there to make the doors fully functional.

Have been looking at the Autoloc bear claw setups, commonly used in hot rods but not sure how well they will adapt to a fiberglass setup, especially the post they latch too I can see that cracking from stress pretty easy... And then I also thought just using some VW mechs & strikers but not sure if I would even have enough space to go that route...

So before going any route I thought I would ask what some of you guys what you have done for making fiberglass doors latch...

Also need some ideas on latching both hoods too....

Anyone got good idea or pics of what you did or would do?

Let me see 'em please
quantummechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img][/img]

Last edited by quantummechanic on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
quantummechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img][/img]

Last edited by quantummechanic on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
quantummechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am kinda in the same situation and have found some potential solutions with motorcycle parts. Specifically latches for the seats or hard saddlebags. Ducati has nice ones; I'll see if I get you more specifics.
I tried the Bearclaws but they require a fair amount of force to close and I didn't want to be fixing more cracks...

May or not work for you...Quik-Latch
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick-loc looks interesting for hoods... Looks to be needing spring poppers... nice and clean looking though...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Didn't see any door latch mechs there though...
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take a look at some AC Cobra kit sites like Factory Five and a few others, to see what they use. Doors are very similar on those kits to the doors you have on yours.

My brother has a Cobra. I cant say I like the latches that he has on his kit, but I'm sure there are multiple options available. One of the problems he has to solve with his latches are that the area that the strike plate and the latches attach to the 'glass need some extra backing plates or gusseting. Or both.

You might even look at marine hardware websites...similar problems for latching two pieces of fiberglass occur in that industry, and I am reasonably certain you can find a solution there that will apply.

Sweet looking car, by the way. I look forward to watching your (re)build.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks WYT! Just sent off for Factory five's catalog...

Have also been hunting marine hardwares too but haven't stumbled across any of them with reasonable hardware or any decent ideas, yet, from any of them...
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a marine environment with lots of outlets for marine hardware. Next time I go by one of the local stores, I'll pop in and see if I spot anything that might work for you. I'll take pics and post if I see anything.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a couple of those Quick-Loc's on my Sterling. They don't need anything extra - there is no spring. Once pushed down, the lock releases from the catch and the door can be opened; once closed, the catch pushes the lock back in place. Very simple and clean.

But I think you need to decide how you want to open the doors or keep them latched. Do you want hardware on the outside or since there is no top (yet), is a simple internal catch enough? Since the doors are probably pretty light, I thought maybe a rare earth magnet (think magnets from the magnatron in a microwave) and a small steel plate mounted on the jamb would be sufficient. Glue the magnet on the inside of the door, steel plate on the jamb and it might be enough if you can get them close enough together. Just spitballin' for the moment...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider a metal sub-frame inside the door and probably a plate inside the door jam also.

Another idea is to modify a production latch by installing a much lighter spring. Find something in a junkyard that's not to complex and work on that. Maybe even some old Ghia or bug latches or even old British stuff?

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for some reference. On my Avenger (much heavier doors with windows) I used heavy steel plate in the hinge & latch area of the doors as well as in the striker area of the body itself. I bonded the plates with epoxy and then glassed over them. I think I used bug catches (not 100% sure) and stock catch pins that I modified to being them away from the body (original owner used washers). Here are some pics of the process. All the components were properly finished before I buttoned the doors up:

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A more simple option would be to use a setup like this:

https://www.gt-racing.com/products-page/911-parts/door-latch/

It could be made with some flat steel stock formed to suit, some hood pins, some springs, and some bicycle cables routing to simple levers on inner door panel that will act as opening levers to pull the cable-move pin...

bnc
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I like that! But damn.. some money for a simple pull pin...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are giving me great Ideas... Keep em coming!

Tomorrow I'm going over where we have the car stored and take some actual dimension of the space between the doors. I do have an extra set of '56 beetle strikers laying around over there too and will tape them in place just to see if maybe they would fit.

While searching more on latches today I stumbled across these awesome looking hinges and I know when the time comes and after seeing another LaDawri with a set of something close to these on it's hoods they looked killer sharp! Anyone know what you would call a hinge like this? or who might sell something like them?

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
^ I like that! But damn.. some money for a simple pull pin...

Like I said - a creative person could 'roll his own'... Laughing

bnc
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be TR3 hood hinges: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-TR2-TR3-BONNET-HIN...vi-content

Good thread here on how they are "handed" side to side: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/30147-boot-and-bonnet-hinges/
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab hood/trunk hinges out of an old MG Midget/Austin Healey Sprite & graft into the LaDawri. Use plywood cut/drilled to shape to mate up with hinge mounting bases, insert T-nuts through backside of holes & epoxy plywood to underside of hood & trunklid - the T of the T-nut should be facing the hood/trunk skin - fiberglass over the plywood without filling in threaded insert holes. Then you'll need to figure out how to mount latches... Voila!

External hinges tend to look like zits on a fashion model...

http://m.ebay.com/search?kw=+MG+Midget+hinges&...get+hinges

bnc
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get the jist.... Similar hinges to the front and rear decks? Almost a to die for appearance and maintains a nice early coach build feel... IMO...

As far as the door latches go and the more I think about it? Seeing as this is a permanent convertible (for the foreseeable future anyway). Starting with first figuring out the latch mechs to the interior... to a degree screams early icepick style to me & somehow utilizing VW guts to the interior and maybe down the road order/fashion/fab some subtle small & flush pulls to the exterior though I could see a bit of confusion trying to figure out that engineering feat, would be interesting though... Like I said going to take a spare I have and see if they can even fit in the latch areas tomorrow...

No ideas are taboo on this for me... Mild to Wild... KEEP 'EM COMING!

PS: been looking at early Ghia bumpers for corners...as well as maybe some repro Camaro front split face bumpers too... : )
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at your car & think... '53-'54 Corvette. No exposed hood/trunk hinges, reverse-opening hood, no external door handles. Mount the spring pins as I showed above on body side of door jamb, with mating 'ramp catch' mounted to door. Use electric trunk solenoid to release door pins via push button switch or key fob remote, with inside trunk mounted cable pull on pins for emergency release. A creative builder could use the spring pin design on hood/trunk as well, keeping exterior body lines clean of handles. Small push buttons on interior can release latch pins as well.

bnc
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went over there this morning to pick up all small parts for my oval and while I was there I tried some '56 T1 strikes in the door jamb & it's real close and looking at it looks like I could easily machine a solid 1/4" off the strike plates or recess it to a steel plate backing setup... either way look to be little bit of work but looks like it can work. Might have to make a mock up and see....

Totally agreeing with ya didget... Clean, clean, clean on the outside... no handles or latches showing outside for anything... (and the useless hood scoop really need to go)

Still liking the way those chromed finger hinges look though... :lol
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: