Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drip Tray: SO-42 Ice Box (fridge) Repair Ideas? Replacement?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Drip Tray: SO-42 Ice Box (fridge) Repair Ideas? Replacement? Reply with quote

Although I feel certain that Everett will kindly redirect this new thread to one already in existence that my searches didn't yeild, I'm posting the following question:

What have YOU done to either repair, or replace your SO-42's ice box drip tray?

Pictured below is mine.
It seems that back in high school (20+ years ago) I last used masking tape to keep it together.
I'm hoping for a better/more permanent fix.

Anyone else want to chime in on either;
A) how to best repair the one I have?
B) explain (or even better; show)what you did to fix or replace yours?

Thanks everyone.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had to fix mine but it I think they are polystyrene: same has plastic models. If you could get some old school glue like Testors in the orange tube I bet it would glue that break pretty well. You could buy some flat stock polystyrene and lap over the cracks with 1/2" strips to reinforce it and make it more watertight. Use lots of glue and put it on both halves and both sides of the bottom area.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a new one out of plastic. Make a positive and a negative mold and start with a very warm piece of plastic. Push em together, let em cool, then make another mold for the little dimple thing in the bottom. It will stretch. Trim when finished
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL, Major Woody; thanks for chiming in...

Was going to take BarryL's advice initially, but as it was cheaper at Tap Plastics to have them do the repair work (a menial charge) than buy some glue, I had them do it.

As to Major Woody's idea, I had the same thought(s) concerning making a mold, etc. Not sure what that can/does cost, but I was curious to ask a vacuum mold place here in CA what they would charge.
It is fairly high:

Cost of Mold creation: $300
Cost of production:
1 each X $232.00 + $300 ÷ 1 = $532
2 each X $132.00 each + $300 ÷ 2 = $282
4 each X $83.00 each + $300 ÷ 4 = $158
10 each X $52.00 each + $300 ÷ 10 = $82
20 each X $42.00 each + $300 ÷ 20 = $57

WOULD anyone be interested in such a thing?
Beyond the cost of individual drip-trays, there's still the actual drain hardware which would be needed...
Anyone know where to find pretty much the same dimensions of the drain in the picture below?
...and then there is the cost of shipping and handling to consider (to the individual people who would want a re-manufactured drip-tray.

...and what about all the folks missing the plastic-covered metal grate which holds the ice block for the SO-42 ice boxes?

Sorry for all the open-ended musings; it's how my brain works.
If anyone has thoughts about all this, please join in.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP is great. Nice that they could patch it.
If mine was missing, I believe I'd TIG one out of stainless before I would drop that kind of coin on plastic.
The vinyl coated wire rack thing...a patient man with a spot welder and some metal rod could make one but I think I'd go with powder coating rather than the vinyl dip. Where does one go to have something vinyl dipped on a small scale? I'm sure that in industry they have a big vat of it but to do just one item it seems like it would be very costly and then what would you do with the excess?
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turned out pretty nice, I don't see clearly in your pics but be sure to make some reinforcement from under the lip, where you glued. That area get a lot of stress, specially when you are trying to fit a ice block that is 5mm taller than the gap btwn the drip tray and tha upper tray... Smile
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Drip Tray: SO-42 Ice Box (fridge) Repair Ideas? Replacement? Reply with quote

Musing and questioning here.

QUESTION:

...how much would a newly formed SO-42 ice box drip tray be worth to people?

I'm not asking for profit reasons, I am asking how much is the high-dollar amount someone would pay for a newly made one (molded via vacuum injection method using an original as the template)?

Secondarily; how many folks are out there that are missing a drip tray or have a broken one? What, if any, is the demand for this part?

FYI; this would be without the metal drain plug, I'm just wondering about the tray; how much would people be willing to pay just for the tray?

It is the set-up (tooling) fee that makes it pretty darn expensive, since, if for example, you're doing a run of 10 of them, those initial ten would have to take the burden of the tooling cost as part of the overall price.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

LET'S SAY that I found a pretty good plastic shop in my area that can do this kind of work.
Let's also say that it would be possible for them to reproduce (same method) ALL of the plastic ice-box parts; the door, the entire main "tub"/body of the ice-box as well as the drip tray...

The tub part would be the most expensive to "tool" (create the mold).
It requires having an original one in good enough shape to create a vacuum mold from. The tooling for that would at least be a couple of thousand, but the unit price (after that) might be, say, $300? so if you make 10, that'd be about $500 a piece for JUST the plastic "tub" part of the ice-box; but brand new plastic.
SHIPPING a piece like that could also add several bucks to the cost for someone who wants one too.

So, I guess I'm asking; what kind of demand do you think is out there for this?
Would anyone want/need all new plastic components to their SO-42 ice boxes?

Me, personally, I an NOT interested in profit from this kind of endeavor; I would want each piece made to be an even division of the overall cost, and no extra money charged just so all us SO-42 owners can have some additional longevity to their ice-boxes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

...and as a final side note; if ANYONE has any kind of lead on finding a part similar enough to the drain hardware (pictured below) let me know.
New that is; something that can be bought now/today to replace missing ones.

epayne611
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Drip Tray: SO-42 Ice Box (fridge) Repair Ideas? Replacement? Reply with quote

I'd definitely be interested. I just broke mine. Was finishing up the seal replacement and new insulation following your write up, I decided to also plasti-dip the inside tub. Then I decided to do the tray, since it was really yellow in comparison to the now white tub. So I attempted to remove the little drain and broke the plastic all around it Sad I knew I should've just taped it off.

I bought a used early bay tray, the drain nipple is slightly different in shape but otherwise dimensions are the same, $45. It's in useable shape but with the amount we use our cooler I'd rather have a nice new one without cracks.

Maybe $50-80 for the tray???
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Drip Tray: SO-42 Ice Box (fridge) Repair Ideas? Replacement? Reply with quote

epayne611 wrote:
... I decided to also plasti-dip the inside tub.

epayne611, thanks for chiming in. Much appreciated. Sorry to hear that your tray broke. I too have a few broken ones; thus my interest...

When you say you did a "plasti-dip", what do you mean? Is this some process you did at home? I'm unaware of what that means/is, please let me know. I'm interested. ...and if you have accompanying photos, that's great too!

epayne611 wrote:
... Maybe $50-80 for the tray???

I want to apologize to EverettB (and everyone) in advance...
I'm NOT trying to make this thread a "classified"... this in only really meant to discuss the costs and pitfalls of recreating a part.

...so, I don't want to get anyone's hopes up yet (because it will be about three weeks from now, and I have not yet seen the finished product), but let's just say I should have eight "new" plastic drip trays available in about three weeks.

I can't speak to the quality/finished product until I have them in my hands.

The cost is/was very prohibitive, but as I wanted/needed two myself, I decided to crazily go ahead and spend more (a heck of a lot more) money then I should as a limited run.

I am/will be very transparent about the costs, because again; I'm NOT trying to make a profit. I just want myself, and other SO-42 owners to be able to have this oft-broken part.

Here's the break-down:

The set up (tooling) fee before taxes was: $495.00
The cost per unit (before taxes, and without the tooling cost) is: $64 (that's the per-unit cost for a run of 10)

Unit Price (without tooling costs):
Before Tax Price: $64.00
CA Sales Tax: 9.75% or $6.24
Final Price: $70.24

Cost to mail the tray in a medium Priority 2-day box in the continental US: $8.65

…so if I am paying for the tooling cost myself, alone, that makes the no-profit cost per tray: $80 a tray, shipping included.
I took this on since/because I need/want two of these myself.
Since I'd be taking on the tooling cost, if anyone were to get one of these from me, and we end up at the same VW meet a cold beer and stories of your Westfalia would be a nice additional cost for the tray.

If I was having 20+ made, the price would be $5-$10 cheaper per tray, but I don’t have the money to do that kind of run.

In the future, if I want/need to produce more, the tooling/set-up cost would be far less (the plastic shop will have the molds), but naturally I’d need/want to get orders up front. When/if another run will be done.

epayne611, you'll be the first to hear when these are done, and if I, and you, are happy with the quality and $80 is good for you, then that'll be the cost.

...that said, once these trays are ready (again; without the metal barbed drain hardware), I'll let everyone know and there will be eight (of 10) that I will be willing to part with.

This drip-tray project of mine is also a way of seeing if it is eventually worth having this place recreate the door part an inner tub of the SO-42 Ice Box, but don't hold your breath on those, as that would be lots and lots of $.

Wasn't there some classifieds several months back of some people re-creating the wooden parts of fridge units?
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Drip Tray: SO-42 Ice Box (fridge) Repair Ideas? Replacement? Reply with quote

You'd have to round the hex... and mill it down a fuzz... to get the thin flange on the top side of the plastic.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Brass-Bulkhead-Fitting-Shut...2456656279

I saw some similar type stuff after searcing on, oddly enough... "tray drain fitting"
The little drains at the bottom of brew pub tap / pour areas are sorta close match.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Drip Tray: SO-42 Ice Box (fridge) Repair Ideas? Replacement? Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
You'd have to round the hex... and mill it down a fuzz... to get the thin flange on the top side of the plastic...

I like it! I'll order one to see what it's like... and yeah, I have been doing a variety of odd searches with home-brew sites, medical fluid waste, Remote Control Hobby Boat sites... the list goes on.

Many sites don't give ALL the dimensions of their parts, so it's tough by sight (without scale/measurements) to figure it out sometimes.

Thanks for this lead, Easy E
epayne611
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Drip Tray: SO-42 Ice Box (fridge) Repair Ideas? Replacement? Reply with quote

Plasti-dip is just a plastic spray on liner in a can. Lots of people use it on rims, even entire cars...it came out nice, and as the guy on your your other thread that did it first said, it makes it easy to wipe clean as well. Very easy to apply, you will only need one can...would recommend watching some YouTube vids on application first though.

Here are some pics...I'm not done with my ice box yet so it's kinda dirty but you can see how white it is compared to the tray.

Also big thanks for doing all this!

Edit: I'm laid up post surgery right now...once I'm more mobile I can clean and take much better pics for you
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Drip Tray: SO-42 Ice Box (fridge) Repair Ideas? Replacement? Reply with quote

That came out great (the fridge parts).

As for the market for new fridge parts, if you don't want to do it yourself (rightly so since its $$$) I would see if Repro Westy would be interested in funding it. They make the new wood boxes so this would allow them to do a complete/new SO42 cooler.

I have a good tray in mine but they are all brittle and ready to crack at any moment. Put me down for one of the new ones if they make it thru QA.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Drip Tray: SO-42 Ice Box (fridge) Repair Ideas? Replacement? Reply with quote

epayne611 wrote:
Plasti-dip is just a plastic spray on liner in a can...

epayne611, that looks great! Thanks for the tip about this great simple solution for refreshing the part... Next time I'm industrious enough to work on that piece again, I'll do that. I imagine it helps reinforce it a little bit too.

Also; recover well and easily. Take it easy.

srfndoc wrote:
... I would see if Repro Westy would be interested in funding it. They make the new wood boxes so this would allow them to do a complete/new SO42 cooler....

srfndoc wrote:
I have a good tray in mine but they are all brittle and ready to crack at any moment. Put me down for one of the new ones if they make it thru QA.

srfndoc. Great; I have you down for a potential for one of the eight I should have to offer (if we all agree on the quality of it).

Which leaves 6 that should be left available for purchase if anyone else is interested at the $80/per that I outlined in my early post.
A reminder to anyone reading this; I will NOT be making money on these drip-trays, I'll actually be "donating" the $500-worth of set-up tooling fees to have made these.

srfndoc; also a great idea... about approaching Repro Westy after we see how the drip-trays turn out. Some other companies that may do well to carry them might be:
NLA VW Parts http://nlavw.com
Go Westy (? - more of Bay-window/Vanagon folks) http://www.gowesty.com
Westfalia spares UK http://westfaliasparesuk.com

Not sure that WolfsburgWest would want to carry 'em.
Other westy parts providers that I'm not thinking of?

Just as "Repro Westy" (http://reprowesty.com) illustrates, MOST (?) of the necessary parts to re-create an entire fridge unit are out there with the only possible exception of the ice-box plastic parts, the plastic-covered metal bits to the door and the ice-block tray, and maybe some other rare/no-repros available parts I'm not thinking of?

HOWEVER, for an individual (say, here in the States) gathering all the parts from all the various places make it a very expensive piece:

Wood (cost?)
Formica (cost?)
Laminate (cost?)
Insulation (cost?)
T-molding ≈ $7.60/meter... what; about 3 meters worth? Top, sides, side table = $22.80
The fridge seal ≈ $58
Water Tank ≈ $150
Rocker hand-pump ≈ $28
Pick-up tube ≈ $21
Additional tubing, connections for water tank and drain ≈ $25
Door and drawer handles ≈ $29/each = $58
Locking mechanism for door & drawer ≈ $19/each = $38
"Closet Latch" (holds the unit against bulk-head) ≈ $48/each = $96
Drip-tray drain (like the one Easy E identified above) ≈ $5
Drip Tray (From the DadaCheese run) ≈ $80
Hinges and extender for the side table (cost?)
Misc. hardware; glue, screws, etc. ≈ $30
Shipping costs on some of these parts (cost?)
Ice Block Plastic-covered Wire Basket Shelf (cost?)
Door Plastic-covered Wires (cost?)
Plastic Door Insert part of the ice-box (cost?)
Main "tub" of the ice-box (cost?)
Labor and wood-working expertise (cost?)

Which makes Repro Westy's cost of $664.25 (€ 559.00) see almost reasonable... but what is IN their cabinet?
Just empty space where the ice-box parts should go?
Oh, and no side-table...and no fresh-water tank...
Not to mention shipping cost (if they ship to the US) from the Netherlands.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Drip Tray: SO-42 Ice Box (fridge) Repair Ideas? Replacement? Reply with quote

I put this in my SO-44 icebox and so far it has worked well!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8370853#8370853

Last edited by nlorntson on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Drip Tray: SO-42 Ice Box (fridge) Repair Ideas? Replacement? Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:

I think sometimes the ice basket and the drip tray get mixed up and people put ice or items in the drip tray. But it is not strong. Brochure pic show items on the wire basket/tray, and the drip tray directly below the wire tray is empty.

Funny... this must be a prototype icebox, or very early. It is not usual. Pic from a January 65 brochure. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/65campmobile2.php
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Drip Tray: SO-42 Ice Box (fridge) Repair Ideas? Replacement? Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:

...and as a final side note; if ANYONE has any kind of lead on finding a part similar enough to the drain hardware (pictured below) let me know.
New that is; something that can be bought now/today to replace missing ones.

Do some searching for Thru-hull fittings.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/s...g+for+Hose
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Drip Tray: SO-42 Ice Box (fridge) Repair Ideas? Replacement? Reply with quote

I'd buy one, and I need one! Unfortunately, mine is a '75 Westy icebox.

Now that I've been researching it, I'm a little confused as to why the drip trays sit below the ice rack, rather than the ice block actually sitting IN the tray, and then the whole works supported by the wire rack. Also, I've seen pics with differing install methods: some show the tray and rack hanging in the same slot, and others have the tray sitting one notch below the rack, on the next slot down.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Drip Tray: SO-42 Ice Box (fridge) Repair Ideas? Replacement? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
I'd buy one, and I need one! Unfortunately, mine is a '75 Westy icebox.

Now that I've been researching it, I'm a little confused as to why the drip trays sit below the ice rack, rather than the ice block actually sitting IN the tray, and then the whole works supported by the wire rack.

Clara wrote:

I think sometimes the ice basket and the drip tray get mixed up and people put ice or items in the drip tray. But it is not strong. Brochure pic show items on the wire basket/tray, and the drip tray directly below the wire tray is empty.

The drip tray is not supported by the wire rack if placed above it.
It is supported by the edges of the plastic tray.
You can break the plastic tray if you put heavy things like ice, beer bottles, etc on it, especially if you shove to squash more stuff in there. Try it! Laughing

The idea is that the wire basket (stronger) holds things like ice, and the drip tray collects the drips from melting ice, and allows the drips to drain out of the bus through the tube, instead of dripping out the bottom of the ice box onto the floor of the bus.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Drip Tray: SO-42 Ice Box (fridge) Repair Ideas? Replacement? Reply with quote

Clara, with her expertise and kindness described exactly how/why the drip tray works the way that it does.

PS: Clara, was pleased to see your dad at Bus Fest 13 yesterday in Antioch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not wanting to loose track; here's the list of people who are interested in these newly produced drip trays.

Again; I'm not holding anyone to getting one until we see how they have turned out...
...and also the reminder that they will NOT come with the metal drain plug.

As per my earlier post (with the true and honest price break-down), the cost is high, but I am loosing money (paying for the $500 set-up cost myself), and NOT making a profit from this.
They'll be $80 each and that includes shipping within the continental U.S.
I'm not putting up a classified until/unless I still have any of the 8 unspoken for.

Here's the list of folks who are interested (there will be a total of 8 available):

1) epayne611
2) nlorntson
3) Busstom
4)
5)
6)
7)
8 )
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: